Request For Proposal By The City Of Houston At 800 N. Velasco St.

Urbannizer

That looks amazing.  Houston could never get anything this cool.  It would get value-engineered into a box covered in fake stucco.  I could see something like this being built in a more innovative place like China, though.

Edited by rechlin
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, tangledwoods said:

anytime I see renderings for a project with solar panels I just assume it will never be built....  and this is a mixed use project with solar panels, thats like double proforma confusion....

solar panels, bike storage, hydroponics garden, green wall, it's like buzzword bingo on things that never happen in Houston.

I'll be cheering from the sidelines, but I won't be disappointed when we get a combo storage units/mattress store.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, samagon said:

solar panels, bike storage, hydroponics garden, green wall, it's like buzzword bingo on things that never happen in Houston.

I'll be cheering from the sidelines, but I won't be disappointed when we get a combo storage units/mattress store.

Add a Starbucks and we'll have a trifecta.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

Their partner list. I guess they might have the what, $100 million to do something like this, but I'm guessing not. 

Not having $100 Million is not the same as having no money.  It's unlikely any group (except Rice University) would have the $100 Million in cash to build something like this.  Building the campus would probably be financed.

• Like 1

It won the C40 prize for the use and design on that strip. Who knows how serious their partners are but some are definitely wealthy enough to build that project without cost engineering it to a warehouse on a lead ridden mole hill.

Say, if the 'partnership' with UT (second largest endowment in the nation at 31.9Bn) is real that alone dwarfs the Rice endowment that's building the Ion. And this is a project whose focus would directly compliment the Ions.

Also many large oil companies, like Shell, are under heavy stake holder pressure to divest from Oil, extraction, supply, and refinement capital and move into renewable chain tied ventures. So it's possible they find enough forward thinking institutions to pull it together. But who knows, the website is awfully quite about timelines or finance, just vague 'partnerships' and plenty about their vision etc.

Edited by Two
  • Like 7

Rode down N. Velasco St. There are 4 companies just south of this location, Lead Products, Dixie Plating, Twenty Five, and CCT. The city of Houston owns 4 plots including the fenced off brownfield. The plot closest to Buffalo Bayou is owned buy a company called Pinto East End. Just west the big plot is owned by Houston Housing Authority.

x7hnElF.jpg

6wXy5Mc.jpg

H5sH39P.jpg

NqgoWXZ.png

q1L8F7a.png

a0SNH1q.png

BqLqcmv.png

9GqWNVi.png

bBbM5Zp.png

7ZXna9T.png

euRJ4RH.png

• Like 7

I think I biked by/through that housing authority lot a couple of weekends ago. Is that the field the trail bi-sects or is that further down? We know a friend with an air quality reader when he goes through there (maybe further down) it's going off a like a Geiger Counter siting on a pile of plutonium. I remember smelling the air in that crossing and you can clearly make out the metal/tinny content, on a bad day it's like swimming in a sea of aersolized nickel and copper. It makes me think there's no way Midway and the city don't already have some sort of legal strategy/plan in mind  - b/c as soon as you make it down to the metal recycle facility and see all their piles hanging over into the bayou and piled high on their lot, its no mystery where it's all coming from.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, hindesky said:

The only bike trails are along the south side of Buffalo Bayou and when you get close to this site the trail is kind of sketchy with portions missing, I've ridden it twice by myself and I didn't feel safe going there.

I've walked these trails on the south side of the Bayou several times, starting at the Silos and heading east up to N York. There are a few sections of trail missing, but I think the BBP is working on those sections currently. I wouldn't recommend biking it unless you have a mountain bike.

I saw a golf cart near this section of the path last year. It was off in the trees below the path, but still on the bank. No idea how it ended up there.