Houston History Websites

FilioScotia

Numerous previous posts have referenced that web site and its stories. One post was about the drawbridge that I didn't know existed before that time. It inspired me to go and see it for myself. It's definitely worth the trip.

HBT-59Br.jpg

Numerous previous posts have referenced that web site and its stories. One post was about the drawbridge that I didn't know existed before that time. It inspired me to go and see it for myself. It's definitely worth the trip.

HBT-59Br.jpg

I'm something of a newbie, and I'm just now discovering what most HAIF junkies already know.

It's written by local historians, and it's on a website maintained by a group of Houston area computer users. It has probably been around a long time but I just discovered it. Lord I love the Internet. http://www.hal-pc.org/~lfa/Buffalo.html

It's pretty comprehensive. I think I've referenced it a couple of times. I'm curious to know when that book mentioned on the Web site is coming out.

It's pretty comprehensive. I think I've referenced it a couple of times. I'm curious to know when that book mentioned on the Web site is coming out.

It's probably out, but it may have been published locally, or self published in limited printings for sale at local gift shops and history museums.

Why don't you ask Mr. Aulbach? His email address is lfa@hal-pc.org

Edited by FilioScotia

• 3 weeks later...
Yep, it's pretty good - I wish it even more info and pictures than it does. That would be awesome.

I was just about to post the same thing! LOL!

They just have next to no pictures. Click on a "Decade in Photos" icon and one, maybe two, pictures show up.

It's an interesting site, but it reads like it was written by the Chamber of Commerce with all the references to building permits and port receipts. That's certainly good information, but it's cold and dry. There's needs to be a lot more about people.

That's the problem with a lot of history texts: they focus too much on facts and not enough on stories. They tell you this war was fought between these dates and this guy was king from then to then or this disaster took place on this date but they don't weave it together into a story. And to be fair, that's a hard thing to do.

Anybody remember Walter Cronkite's old series, "You Were There"? Now that made history come alive.

Edited by Firebird65

Here's a cool on-line reference on Houston history organized by years/decades, if it hasn't been posted here already.

http://www.houstonhistory.com/sitemap/history4b.htm

It has been posted already here. Someone asked about history books that talked about Houston and this website was shared as an alternative to the book, but the topic is close enough.

I went ahead and reported this thread to the moderator to be merged with it, don't get mad now. :o

Just want to keep repeat threads of the forum.

Have a good one! :D

It has been posted already here. Someone asked about history books that talked about Houston and this website was shared as an alternative to the book, but the topic is close enough.

I went ahead and reported this thread to the moderator to be merged with it, don't get mad now. :o

Just want to keep repeat threads of the forum.

Have a good one! :D

I enjoyed that book thread, especially the link to the 1941 book on Houston history.

Another problem with history text is that... well... history gets longer. So, if you have a 300 page book on Houston history and you update it 10 years later, you either have to add pages to cover the previous decade or delete something to be able to include the latest developements.

So since the 1941 book was unburdened with covering the rest of the 1940s to today, it has more room for the early stuff. It doesn't have to give short shrift to Houston's participation in the Civil War or during the 1890s.

Plus it was written from the perpective of someone in the 1940s, which is different than our perspective of today. An old history book is a double bonus...

They just have next to no pictures. Click on a "Decade in Photos" icon and one, maybe two, pictures show up.

It's an interesting site, but it reads like it was written by the Chamber of Commerce with all the references to building permits and port receipts. That's certainly good information, but it's cold and dry. There's needs to be a lot more about people.

That's the problem with a lot of history texts: they focus too much on facts and not enough on stories. They tell you this war was fought between these dates and this guy was king from then to then or this disaster took place on this date but they don't weave it together into a story. And to be fair, that's a hard thing to do.

Yeah, that was always my complaint about history. It's easy to find out when the Astrodome was built or when oil was struck at Spindletop.

I'm more concerned about the little aspects of history that have been lost to time.

I'm facinated by WWII history. However, for many years, the history books merely focused on soldiers, battles and massacres. What was life like in the occupied terrirories? I'm not talking about the resistance or the Holocaust... just what was life like for some everyday person living in France or Poland or Greece? The guy who worked at the corner market or owned a farm? How was his or her life affected or was it affected at all?

And what would Europe have looked like had the Nazis won the war? What were their plans?

Fortunately, in recent years, books have started incorporating such things and many interesting WWII atlases have hit the bookshelves in recent years.

That is a whole lot of rambling in a topic that is supposed to be about the History of Houston. How did the topic of WWII get involved in this thread?

"That is a whole lot of rambling in a topic that is supposed to be about the History of Houston. How did the topic of WWII get involved in this thread?"

Gosh I don't know. Do you think it may be because Houston, and countless numbers of Houstonians, played significant roles in that war back here on the home front? If that's not about "the History of Houston" I don't know what is. I consider myself a student of history, but I've learned a lot of things I never knew about that period right here in this one thread, and speaking just for myself, I find those kinds of things very enlightening and rewarding.

Sorry you're so bored by having to put up with all this stuff about Houston history on a board devoted to Houston History.

• 1 month later...
"That is a whole lot of rambling in a topic that is supposed to be about the History of Houston. How did the topic of WWII get involved in this thread?"

Gosh I don't know. Do you think it may be because Houston, and countless numbers of Houstonians, played significant roles in that war back here on the home front? If that's not about "the History of Houston" I don't know what is. I consider myself a student of history, but I've learned a lot of things I never knew about that period right here in this one thread, and speaking just for myself, I find those kinds of things very enlightening and rewarding.

Sorry you're so bored by having to put up with all this stuff about Houston history on a board devoted to Houston History.

:huh: The topic was meant to discuss the website and its contents and organization in general, not specific and detailed events from Houston's past...

• 12 years later...

While researching some things in Houston, I stumbled upon this awesome website called "Houston Time Portal."

I'm sure every one in this forum has seen and admired (and maybe even collect) those beautiful hand drawn postcards depicting various parts of Houston in the old days. Well, this site is not only filled with them, but each one has a present-day view of the same area in the post card. 

As if that weren't amazing enough, the creator of the website has a great collection of mailed historic postcards, and he or she went through the trouble to translate the message and give a backstory of the sender and recipient. 

I'm not sure who created this site, since I couldn't find a name on it, but if you're on this forum, you've done an amazing job with this collection of postcards and I truly appreciate you taking the time out to do this. I've been looking at this site for about 30 minutes now, and just had to share it. I figured if anyone were a sucker for then and now shots and just great historic content in general (like i am), they'd probably be on this forum. I'm sure someone may already have this saved in their bookmarks, but for those of you who don't, I figured I'd share. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am! 😃

Edited by xnzs
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Houston History Website
  • The title was changed to Houston History Websites