Houston City Council to Vote on Installation of Informational Kiosks

Houston City Council to Vote on Plan for Installation of Information Kiosks - 5/5/2021

Not sure how I feel about this plan. These kiosks seem very large and look as though they could block sizable portions of sidewalks or disrupt any businesses near where they may be installed. Not to mention, it feels like something one step closer to Minority Report-style targeted advertising. 

I could see these as a good source for wayfinding and it could provide additional lighting for our sidewalks. I understand the issue about size, but I'm sure the city would pick locations that already have wider sidewalks. Thank you @thedistrict84for sharing this! Had no idea about it. 

Since everyone seems to be walking around staring at his or her i-phone do we really need information kiosks? Besides, those distracted pedestrians will probably walk right into the stationary kiosks then want to sue the City for putting them there. 🙂

• Like 2
1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

It could have been Alcorn that posed this question.

The question was not posed and the Mayor didn't not give any such response.  Kamin mentioned that a couple other cities have done trial programs, but did not direct a question to the Mayor on the topic and the Mayor did not respond to her mentioning of trial programs.  Also, Kamin allowed as to how the Houston program does, in effect, include a trial program, as there is a pause for reevaluation after 30 [IIRC] kiosks are installed. 

On 5/5/2021 at 7:29 AM, Specwriter said:

Since everyone seems to be walking around staring at his or her i-phone do we really need information kiosks? Besides, those distracted pedestrians will probably walk right into the stationary kiosks then want to sue the City for putting them there. 🙂

Or they'll be riding one of those rental scooters when they collide into it. I see more of them downtown now since vehicle and pedestrian traffic is lighter.

• Like 2
On 5/7/2021 at 9:58 AM, Houston19514 said:

The question was not posed and the Mayor didn't not give any such response.  Kamin mentioned that a couple other cities have done trial programs, but did not direct a question to the Mayor on the topic and the Mayor did not respond to her mentioning of trial programs.  Also, Kamin allowed as to how the Houston program does, in effect, include a trial program, as there is a pause for reevaluation after 30 [IIRC] kiosks are installed. 

Oh my mea culpa

i will take you at your word that you reviewed every word of the council meeting.

There are those of us that stream those  council meetings and take notes. At some instances, a conversation with our 90 year old Mother ( who quarantines  with me) must be maintained at the same time one tries to take notes of the council procedures. At really special instances, ones grandchildren might have been dropped offunexpectantly  ( both parents got 2nd vaccine and had bad reaction) during the HTV council live stream meeting. When that happens, one try’s to listen and take notes, or try to go over what one thinks was said and tries to jot that down. Or one happens to notice a big frown or shaking of head or rolled eyes during a conversation thread by council members and jots that down. But the Grandkids and the elderly mother  both vie for attention as one are glancing at the council meeting streaming on TV. 
That is a lot of information that is meaningless I guess; until you are called out twice for info you got wrong. So what can we garner from that?  Wellllllll That there are people like me that try to stay “current” on a particular subject that has importance to them. People like me who are still quarantine  and not going to inperson meetings. So still try to get information while other things are going on in the household. 

afterall that- please let me say thank you for garnering the council information. This kiosk thing is a huge issue to me and my neighbors as we live close to Westheimer and Montrose and have a fatalistic view that a kiosk placement is in our future. Thank you for the correction— The integrity of the information about this issue is important. 
Yup - wanting to contribute to an intelligent conversation  thread online about,  anticipating that will make me feel more connected during a time of isolation. 

uitiosam colit ego sum