Midtown Crossing: Retail Center At 510 Gray St.

hindesky

A New Pizzeria That Slings Pies Until 4 A.M. Will Open in Midtown Houston

Dallas export Zalat is expected to make its debut this summer 

by Amy McCarthy  Apr 19, 2021, 9:36am CDT

Zalat, a rapidly growing, Dallas-born pizza chain known for its creatively topped pies, will soon arrive in Houston.

The restaurant is set to open its doors at 510 Gray Street later this year, marking the chain’s first expansion out of DFW. “Houston was the most obvious choice for us,” founder Khanh Nguyen said in a statement. “We think many Houstonians love and appreciate great food that is served without pretense, and that’s exactly who we are.” Nguyen also has ties to Houston — he attended Klein Forest High School and the University of Houston before heading north to Dallas. 

As far as the pies are concerned, expect chewy, thin-crust pizzas topped with everything from classic pepperoni to elote-style corn, Nashville hot chicken, and pickles. There’s also a pho-inspired pie appropriately called the “Pho Shizzle.” Folks who dig dipping their pizza into ranch dressing should be especially excited — the restaurant’s “Srirancha,” a mix of sriracha and ranch, is a favorite among Zalat fans.

Since it opened in 2015, Zalat has expanded from a stoner-friendly pizzeria to a major player in Dallas’s pizza scene, where it currently operates more than 10 locations. Whether or not it will have the same staying power as Cane Rosso, the Dallas-based pizzeria that opened in the Heights in 2016, remains to be seen. 

No official opening timeline has been announced just yet for Zalat’s debut in Houston, but expect it to arrive sometime this summer. Stay tuned for an opening date.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

A New Pizzeria That Slings Pies Until 4 A.M. Will Open in Midtown Houston

Dallas export Zalat is expected to make its debut this summer 

by Amy McCarthy  Apr 19, 2021, 9:36am CDT

Zalat, a rapidly growing, Dallas-born pizza chain known for its creatively topped pies, will soon arrive in Houston.

The restaurant is set to open its doors at 510 Gray Street later this year, marking the chain’s first expansion out of DFW. “Houston was the most obvious choice for us,” founder Khanh Nguyen said in a statement. “We think many Houstonians love and appreciate great food that is served without pretense, and that’s exactly who we are.” Nguyen also has ties to Houston — he attended Klein Forest High School and the University of Houston before heading north to Dallas. 

As far as the pies are concerned, expect chewy, thin-crust pizzas topped with everything from classic pepperoni to elote-style corn, Nashville hot chicken, and pickles. There’s also a pho-inspired pie appropriately called the “Pho Shizzle.” Folks who dig dipping their pizza into ranch dressing should be especially excited — the restaurant’s “Srirancha,” a mix of sriracha and ranch, is a favorite among Zalat fans.

Since it opened in 2015, Zalat has expanded from a stoner-friendly pizzeria to a major player in Dallas’s pizza scene, where it currently operates more than 10 locations. Whether or not it will have the same staying power as Cane Rosso, the Dallas-based pizzeria that opened in the Heights in 2016, remains to be seen. 

No official opening timeline has been announced just yet for Zalat’s debut in Houston, but expect it to arrive sometime this summer. Stay tuned for an opening date.

I wonder which suite they are renting. River Oaks Cleaners is the only available spot that I know of, but when I saw this I immediately thought of the "cursed" suite One Dim Sum occupies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phillip_white said:

I wonder which suite they are renting. River Oaks Cleaners is the only available spot that I know of, but when I saw this I immediately thought of the "cursed" suite One Dim Sum occupies.

As long as they don't take the Japanese BBQ Gyu-Kaku or BBW spots I'm good. Now that I have both doses of the covid vaccine, Gyu-Kaku is one of the first places I used to frequent that I want to go back to. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to New Pizza Chain Moving To Midtown
  • 1 year later...

There's a new very popular Taiwanese bubble tea chain called Gong Cha opening soon inbetween Zalat and Gyu Kaku. This is huge news for any bubble tea drinkers in the downtown area. I can already predict the downfall of the midtown Kung Fu Tea as people only really go there because there is no other option nearby.

Photos of Midtown Crossing from materials when the property was for sale last fall.

The retail center is located at 510 Gray St.

Current tenants in Midtown Crossing:

• Gyu-Kaku -  510 Gray St, Ste A
  • Gong Cha - 510 Gray St, Ste B-1
  • Zalat Pizza - 510 Gray St, Ste B-2
  • Buffalo Wild Wings - 510 Gray St, Ste C
  • Taste of Mulan (formerly One Dim Sum) - 510 Gray St, Ste D

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/510-Gray-St-Houston-TX/26790676/

https://images1.cityfeet.com/d2/fPk3sEtBS82ozN-brkqZfs9EAmiKSnHInD8Thvfu8YE/document.pdf

VB62jaP.jpg

XPnzZYH.jpg

KimF3HW.jpg

RGFVRG9.jpg

3boPaBO.jpg

oIwlMV7.jpg

SWwLrCR.jpg

mjDcs4j.jpg

OOGjOHB.jpg

2nawaVk.jpg

klHbzwu.jpg

On 3/20/2023 at 11:44 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

They need to tear this down and start over. This is what happens when you build cheap, nearsighted, and only for profit. You end up with a prime lot with a crazy amount of potential, rotating tenants with no end in sight. 

Heavens, no. Certainly not at this point in time. There are so many vacant lots or soon-to-be-vacant (looking at you, Greyhound Station) that are nearby.  Frankly, a similar version of this would be a massive improvement on a litany of other vacant or underdeveloped sites in Midtown. BW3 and Gyu-Kaku have been decent anchors. You’ve got to have some enjoyable existing uses to attract organic density. After Caydon’s experience, I doubt we’ll get any “knights in shining armor” seeking wholesale transformation of Midtown.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

Heavens, no. Certainly not at this point in time. There are so many vacant lots or soon-to-be-vacant (looking at you, Greyhound Station) that are nearby.  Frankly, a similar version of this would be a massive improvement on a litany of other vacant or underdeveloped sites in Midtown. BW3 and Gyu-Kaku have been decent anchors. You’ve got to have some enjoyable existing uses to attract organic density. After Caydon’s experience, I doubt we’ll get any “knights in shining armor” seeking wholesale transformation of Midtown.

Why not start over and build a nice mixed use building with the same tenants on the ground floor? Having a small mid-rise with 5 floors of residential to anchor those businesses would be way better. Plus there aren't any parking minimums, so you can build only what you really need. Plus good design will attract developers to the other lots. Poor design leads to this. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

5 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Why not start over and build a nice mixed use building with the same tenants on the ground floor? Having a small mid-rise with 5 floors of residential to anchor those businesses would be way better. Plus there aren't any parking minimums, so you can build only what you really need. Plus good design will attract developers to the other lots. Poor design leads to this. 

You disrupt the existing business for the tenants with demolition. Much better to have this demolished and redone after other lots have been built up. 

On 3/23/2023 at 9:57 AM, TacoDog said:

Maybe the glass windows and doors should have been fixed before taking photos. Looking at the photos of an empty parking lot makes me wonder if these places are still in business. 

This parking lot is always full. Those picture were probably taken in the morning before any of those businesses were open.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, staresatmaps said:

This parking lot is always full. Those picture were probably taken in the morning before any of those businesses were open.

Buffalo Wild Wings and the Japanese BBQ place always draw a large crowd, including me. There has been times I didn't go because the parking lot was full.

• The title was changed to Midtown Crossing: Retail Center At 510 Gray St.