Olshan Lumber Company At 2600 Commerce St.

24 minutes ago, wilcal said:

For reference, I tried to make a scale representation of what the Montrose HEB would look like on the site:

nuxGdzB.jpg

DEFINITELY has space.

I live a few blocks away and wholeheartedly endorse your idea of putting an HEB here.

Anybody have Scott McClelland’s email address?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, EaDolivin said:

While my hopes are high, I guess I should temper my expectations a bit.  The avg income levels/pop density in this area right now are still too low for a Gucci-B to be built here, I think.

What happens when you throw Downtown Houston into the mix, though? 

6 hours ago, 77011transplant said:

They could put the HEB AND affordable housing across the street!

I assume you’re being sarcastic, but just in case: there is already a new 180 unit 55+ affordable housing complex directly across Delano, and a 120 unit complex at the northeast corner of Delano and Canal. There are numerous other affordable housing complexes within 1-2 miles.

I think we’re good.

We do need some more market rate stuff to come online, soon. Hopefully that will be a component of this (eventual) development.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

I assume you’re being sarcastic, but just in case: there is already a new 180 unit 55+ affordable housing complex directly across Delano, and a 120 unit complex at the northeast corner of Delano and Canal. There are numerous other affordable housing complexes within 1-2 miles.

I think we’re good.

We do need some more market rate stuff to come online, soon. Hopefully that will be a component of this (eventual) development.

Yup - just a joke! 

Well, joking about the affordable housing part. Not the HEB part. Inject the HEB into my veins and neighborhood! 

Edited by 77011transplant
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not to be the correctness cop, but lower income families have to live somewhere. And as far as I know, if my dad, grandmother,and the 2 littler siblings lived there in 1936 it definitely wasn't Silk Stocking Lane as daddy always called the fancier parts of Houston. They didn't have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of. 

In an unrelated and related subject, my little brother born in 1959 was a red headed freckled mess. He was nicknamed Mr. Olshan after the demolition branch of Olshans. If given the chance I know for a fact he'd be able to tear up an anvil. ❤️

Photo was snapped shortly after throwing a few brick around from the bbq pit construction situation. 3 years old. Old Chocolate Bayou Rd memories.

Lol. 

0119181212a.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/22/2021 at 4:19 PM, 77011transplant said:

I also think that affordable housing should be spread equitably throughout the city.

Exactly my point! The Heights have been successfully fighting affordable housing. Karla Cisneros sure loves putting these type of projects in the East End, but fight them off in her neighborhood in the Heights.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/21/2021 at 3:25 PM, Texasota said:

I really hope they have the good sense to keep that 4 story brick warehouse.

I said the same in an earlier post. If I owned the land, I would make that little building a central focal point for the rest of the development area. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok got way too down the rabbit hole on this one, but found this quote in the linked document concerning this site (P49)

"Current land use of the Olshan property is commercial; however, planned future use of the subject property is residential redevelopment."

https://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/sites/default/files/assets/msd-application_2019_129_olc.pdf

from 2019, so take from that what you will.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sapo2367 said:

Ok got way too down the rabbit hole on this one, but found this quote in the linked document concerning this site (P49)

"Current land use of the Olshan property is commercial; however, planned future use of the subject property is residential redevelopment."

https://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/sites/default/files/assets/msd-application_2019_129_olc.pdf

from 2019, so take from that what you will.

Web sleuth of the year award.

Would love for the area to be less industrial so I am here for residential. I live just east of York St and there's such a disconnect between the retail/residential area of Commerce (near tout suite/cidercade) and the connection to the York/Sampson corridor and it's primarily that long stretch of land occupied by Olshan. That'd be a great connection to the Second Ward/East End neighborhoods.

I wonder if the East End Center of Commerce is aware of these updates and incorporated them into their plans for the Navigation Esplanade? I know Commerce and Canal were on those drawings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ljchou said:

Web sleuth of the year award.

Would love for the area to be less industrial so I am here for residential. I live just east of York St and there's such a disconnect between the retail/residential area of Commerce (near tout suite/cidercade) and the connection to the York/Sampson corridor and it's primarily that long stretch of land occupied by Olshan. That'd be a great connection to the Second Ward/East End neighborhoods.

I wonder if the East End Center of Commerce is aware of these updates and incorporated them into their plans for the Navigation Esplanade? I know Commerce and Canal were on those drawings.

just checked and they do not

I found the JLL listing brochure for the property: https://research.catylist.com/api/images/data/og/media/user_uploads/6075bf12e88abb000181214f_olshan_eado_flyer_sm.pdf

I can't tell how old it is (lists that there is an ongoing Lease until June 2021, but also shows a mostly built out Forth at Navigation on the photos). Page 11, showing the back part of 8th Wonder as the "Navigation Esplanade" made me laugh a little.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I don’t think the whole conversation got moved over here from The Mill thread, but it looks like this property is under contract and the rumor is that Tillman Fertitta/Landrys has bought it. I walked by today and there were some fresh surveying stakes marking the property boundaries, but not much more has changed.  

https://www.us.jll.com/en/investorcenter/land-development-site/12-acre-infill-oz-development-opportunity-with-adaptive-reuse-buildings-houston-houston-tx-unitedstates

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 12:41 PM, sapo2367 said:

I don’t think the whole conversation got moved over here from The Mill thread, but it looks like this property is under contract and the rumor is that Tillman Fertitta/Landrys has bought it. I walked by today and there were some fresh surveying stakes marking the property boundaries, but not much more has changed.  

https://www.us.jll.com/en/investorcenter/land-development-site/12-acre-infill-oz-development-opportunity-with-adaptive-reuse-buildings-houston-houston-tx-unitedstates

Do we know of any other Fertitta-developed mixed use or other type of land use besides restaurants that he has been involved in?

6 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Do we know of any other Fertitta-developed mixed use or other type of land use besides restaurants that he has been involved in?

Not that I know of, but I don't really like him that much, so don't pay that much attention to what he does, other than hope he doesn't manage to make Galveston Island look like Miami beach.

I will believe Fertitta bought the Olshan property when the deed is recorded. Until then, it's just supposition.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wilcal said:

he has at least one warehouse that I know of

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Landry'S/@29.7843687,-95.4536611,16z/data=!4m9!1m2!2m1!1sLandry's!3m5!1s0x8640c6c6e34d8a25:0x6bcba908a3d2846c!8m2!3d29.7845155!4d-95.4539067!15sCghMYW5kcnkncyIDiAEB

would be a terribly disappointing result if that's what this was slated to become.

• Like 1