Olshan Lumber Company At 2600 Commerce St.

I was over at Olshan's compound off Commerce picking some stuff up and the lady there told me they had sold the property to someone, but wasn't sure to whom.

Let's begin the wild speculation of who bought it! I'll go first with a wish (HEB), and a real guess (Lovett).

My understanding is this is roughly the area of the Olshan property.

Screenshot_20210417-181753_Maps.jpg

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, JBTX said:

I was over at Olshan's compound off Commerce picking some stuff up and the lady there told me they had sold the property to someone, but wasn't sure to whom.

Let's begin the wild speculation of who bought it! I'll go first with a wish (HEB), and a real guess (Lovett).

My understanding is this is roughly the area of the Olshan property.

I'll guess New Hope Housing and 1,000 new affordable housing units

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It looks like the property was sold in October of 2014 by the family that runs Olshan Lumber to a company call BFH Ranching or BFH Mining, with a lease back provision. BFH appears to be owned or controlled by a company called Cathexis. These same companies were heavily involved in buying the KBR property across the Bayou.

Thanks, Harris County Clerk's website!

Edited to add that the BFH entities and Cathexis are companies owned and controlled by the Harrison family, Houston billionaires.

Edited by Ross
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, EaDolivin said:

Does anyone have more info on this?  I live in close proximity and am highly interested in what may come of this.

Given the full operation of Olshan on all of the lots it occupies and no tidbits of planning for the property, I wouldn't expect anything substantial to appear within the next few years at least.

Additionally, looking into Cathexis further, they are truly a holdings company. All local news regarding Cathexis only mentions them selling the land to Real Estate developers (East River land to Midway, some Greenway parcels, etc.)

Last edit: The only real estate transactions listing BFG as the seller, or at all, are from August of 2020 when they sold a parcel of land in the Block 58/59 Swiney Addition to KBRN.

Note: I am pretty sure most of the land in the East End is SM Williams. Any idea where Swiney Addition is?

Edited by ljchou

6 hours ago, ljchou said:

Given the full operation of Olshan on all of the lots it occupies and no tidbits of planning for the property, I wouldn't expect anything substantial to appear within the next few years at least.

Additionally, looking into Cathexis further, they are truly a holdings company. All local news regarding Cathexis only mentions them selling the land to Real Estate developers (East River land to Midway, some Greenway parcels, etc.)

Last edit: The only real estate transactions listing BFG as the seller, or at all, are from August of 2020 when they sold a parcel of land in the Block 58/59 Swiney Addition to KBRN.

Note: I am pretty sure most of the land in the East End is SM Williams. Any idea where Swiney Addition is?

Swiney is the area to the West and North of the KBR site. You can see Swiney Park on Meadow, South of I-10.

The BFH to KBRN sale was for a piece of land 66x196 at the end of Bayou Street.

KBRN is the owner of the big site, but Midway is one of the members of the KBRN LP, so has an indirect ownership.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2021 at 8:46 PM, Ross said:

It looks like the property was sold in October of 2014 by the family that runs Olshan Lumber to a company call BFH Ranching or BFH Mining, with a lease back provision. BFH appears to be owned or controlled by a company called Cathexis. These same companies were heavily involved in buying the KBR property across the Bayou.

Thanks, Harris County Clerk's website!

Edited to add that the BFH entities and Cathexis are companies owned and controlled by the Harrison family, Houston billionaires.

Would you mind sharing the link to that?

• 2 weeks later...

Are we sure that the BFH -> KBRN sale was for the end of Bayou street?

The entity that purchased the East River is a midway entity named "KBRN". There was a purchase by KBRN from BFH in August 2020.

As of 2019/2020 in HCAD there's no property north of the Bayou on BFH's ownership list. I'm curious if Midway scooped this land up?

image.png.76dfa5a66eba414c3ad2c9cb5f91566f.png

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 10:46 AM, EaDolivin said:

Would you mind sharing the link to that?

It's on the County Clerk's site, which doesn't allow linking as far as I can tell

8 hours ago, ljchou said:

Are we sure that the BFH -> KBRN sale was for the end of Bayou street?

The entity that purchased the East River is a midway entity named "KBRN". There was a purchase by KBRN from BFH in August 2020.

As of 2019/2020 in HCAD there's no property north of the Bayou on BFH's ownership list. I'm curious if Midway scooped this land up?

image.png.76dfa5a66eba414c3ad2c9cb5f91566f.png

The document on the Clerk's site said end of Bayou Street. ~12,000 sq ft. Probably account 0351710000001 on HCAD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EaDolivin said:

the whole Olshan site here is a lot of property.  I wonder if the plan is to just sell it off in portions?

I've scoured every source I can to determine who purchased and I have found nothing. Any ideas where else I can look?

2 hours ago, ljchou said:

I've scoured every source I can to determine who purchased and I have found nothing. Any ideas where else I can look?

Read my post above 

You can look on the Harris County Clerk's site under real property to see the documents. Look for grantee BFH, an entity of the Harrison family. 

There used to be a government site that you could look up the ownership history of an address. My dad bought my grandmother a home in Denver Harbor in 1942. He was 17 and the developer financed. I'd love to see the tax information on value. I have an insurance renewal and the coverage was for total coverage plus garage and contents was valued at $1100.00. The premium was 8.57 for 1 year and she paid it in 52 week increment. A lady with a receipt book would come by to collect for that and life policies she had on all members of the family. Even in 1942 could $1100.00 be right? 

1 hour ago, MartiMoser said:

There used to be a government site that you could look up the ownership history of an address. My dad bought my grandmother a home in Denver Harbor in 1942. He was 17 and the developer financed. I'd love to see the tax information on value. I have an insurance renewal and the coverage was for total coverage plus garage and contents was valued at $1100.00. The premium was 8.57 for 1 year and she paid it in 52 week increment. A lady with a receipt book would come by to collect for that and life policies she had on all members of the family. Even in 1942 could $1100.00 be right? 

There is some ownership history on hcad.org, but it only goes back to the digital conversion in 1987 or 1988(something like that). Here's the ownership history for part of the Olshan site 

image.png.98bd087ad99927674470fe668e26daee.png

It was transferred from Olshan to one of the family members of the owners of Olshan, then sold to BFH.

Still no ideas on what this is going to be? It seems strange that Olshan wouldn't have kept operating if BFH etc didn't have a specific plan for the property (I guess that is what they have been doing since 2014).

Also, the total area is a little bigger than @JBTX's initial sketch -- it goes all the way south to Garrow St

image.thumb.png.e4ec85026eb0b2e7467032823dc5c34d.png

I'm also hoping the grocery gods bless us with a shiny new HEB :)

Edited by sapo2367
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, sapo2367 said:

Still no ideas on what this is going to be? It seems strange that Olshan wouldn't have kept operating if BFH etc didn't have a specific plan for the property (I guess that is what they have been doing since 2014).

Also, the total area is a little bigger than @JBTX's initial sketch -- it goes all the way south to Garrow St

image.thumb.png.e4ec85026eb0b2e7467032823dc5c34d.png

I'm also hoping the grocery gods bless us with a shiny new HEB :)

You're right about the boundaries of this property.  

Man...that's a LOT of land.