Garden Oaks Shopping Center At 3402-3410 N. Shepherd Dr.

hindesky

Not technically the Heights....but couldn't find another area to put this.

Houston restaurant co. to open ZZ Top-themed Tex-Mex joint

By Laura Gillespie  –  Reporter, Houston Business Journal 
4 hours ago

Tres Amigos Café y Cantina will replace Shepherd Park Draught House at 3402 N. Shepherd Drive April 22. 

Ken Bridge, CEO of Delicious Concepts Restaurant Group, which owns both concepts, is turning the draught house into a ZZ Top-themed Tex-Mex restaurant, showcasing Bridge’s extensive collection of ZZ Top memorabilia. Stewart Skloss, founder of Pura Vida Tequila, as well as ZZ Top frontman Billy Gibbons, both helped come up with the idea for the restaurant, but they have no ownership in it. 

Tres Amigos will serve classic Tex-Mex, with combo plates, tacos, burritos, weekend tamales, queso and more. On the drinks side, it will have margaritas with Pura Vida tequila and Mexican beer.

The 1,500-square-foot space will be redecorated to show off Bridge’s ZZ Top memorabilia from floor to ceiling, but otherwise will be relatively unchanged. The inside seats 40 to 45, with another handful of tables on the patio. The current concept features punk, pop and rock memorabilia pieces from Bridge's collection.

Bridge, who just announced the transition of his concept Ritual into Mapojeong Galbijib, a Korean barbecue restaurant, said he likes to change up concepts as he comes up with new, progressive directions. 

“We’re all ready for a new frontier; I think we’re all ready for a change. For us as a company, and for me personally, I’m ready to change things up and push forward,” Bridge said. “I’ve always wanted to do Korean barbecue, people who know me know that.”

Bridge says he's ZZ Top’s No. 1 fan. He began collecting memorabilia for the bearded Houston-born rock band when he was a child; his first piece was a poster he won at a carnival game while living in Arizona. 

“I call it collecting, my wife calls it hoarding,” Bridge said. “I just became obsessed, not just with ZZ Top.” 

In honor of Skloss, Gibbons and Bridge’s friendship, the company says, 75% of restaurant proceeds will go to the St. Jude Foundation, with which Gibbons has worked closely over the years. 

“(My wife) Christina and I are absolutely thrilled to be supporting such an amazing organization and to continue to give back to those in our company who have contributed so much to our success over the years,” Bridge said in a statement.

by HBJ.

CD3DEct.png

lwsD6PS.png

• Like 3

• The title was changed to New ZZ Top-Themed Tex-Mex Restaurant At 3402 N. Shepherd Dr.
  • 4 months later...

This didn't last long, opened in April and closed in Oct. Anyone try going to it?

Tres Amigos Cafe & Cantina closed on October 9. In a message posted to Facebook, the restaurant explained that it decided not to renew its lease on the space at 3402 N Shepherd Dr.

Only open since April, Tres Amigos replaced Shepherd Park Draught House with a casual, Mexican-inspired cantina decorated with owner Ken Bridge’s extensive collection of ZZ Top memorabilia. It also had a charitable component, donating 75-percent of its profits to the St. Jude Foundation.

In a town with as many superior Tex-Mex options as Houston has, having food that doesn't really stand out in comparison with any number of other places combined with forcing customers to install an app on their devices to enable them to patronize your establishment is not exactly a foolproof recipe for success. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

From the Houston Heights Foodies group on Facebook: The landlords have a new tenant to fill the former space of Delicious Concepts' Tex-Mex restaurant Tres Amigos, 3402 N Shepherd Dr.

A craft beer bar is moving into the vacated unit at Garden Oaks Center. Named the Upside Pub, it appears to be a concept from someone who's worked in the craft beer industry under several high-profile positions for regional craft breweries.

I don't think the Upside Pub is a collaborative project with Delicious Concepts, but I could be wrong. But it's good seeing the space return to a familiar concept residents preferred over Tres Amigos.

The Upside Pub has an Instagram account: @theupsidepub

Also, moderators, please consider correcting the thread's title to reflect the name of the entire strip center where this business is located. The name of the commercial property is Garden Oaks Center, 3402-3412 N Shepherd Dr.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3402-3412-N-Shepherd-Dr-Houston-TX/11357659/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

• 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to The Upside Pub - 3402 N. Shepherd Dr.
  • 1 month later...
On 11/21/2021 at 6:15 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Also, moderators, please consider correcting the thread's title to reflect the name of the entire strip center where this business is located. The name of the commercial property is Garden Oaks Center, 3402-3412 N Shepherd Dr.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3402-3412-N-Shepherd-Dr-Houston-TX/11357659/

Mods, please consider changing the title of the topic  to reflect the name of the entire strip center, not just one business located there.

The name of the commercial property is Garden Oaks Shopping Center. There is also signage indicating this. The addresses associated with the center are 3402-3412 N Shepherd Dr. 

Here is the listing from Fifth Corner
https://fifthcorner.com/portfolio-items/garden-oaks-center/

Brochure uploaded in May:
http://fifthcorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Garden-Oaks-Flyer-5.22.pdf

spacer.png

Google Maps photo from June 2022.
spacer.png

A site plan of Garden Oaks Shopping Center, uploaded in May:

spacer.png

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Garden Oaks Shopping Center Developments
  • The title was changed to Garden Oaks Shopping Center At 3402 N. Shepherd Dr.
  • 5 months later...
4 hours ago, goofy said:

Fifth Corner sold this. Buyer not stayed in blurb attached. 

JLL Capital Markets represented the seller, Fifth Corner, and Meredith Cullen and David Cook with Cushman and Wakefield represented the buyer, in the sale of Garden Oaks Shopping Center, a 13,877-SF center at the northeast corner of Shepherd Road and 34th Street. The center, built in 1950, has a Pink’s Pizza and other tenants.

https://realtynewsreport.com/rnr-real-estate-briefs-texas-more-30/

Thanks for the update, @goofy. I wasn't aware Garden Oaks Shopping Center was on the market.

Below are sale listings for the shopping center at 3402-3412 N Shepherd Dr:

https://www.crexi.com/properties/1282277/texas-garden-oaks-shopping-center

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3402-3412-N-Shepherd-Dr-Houston-TX/29696477/

4 hours ago, goofy said:

Fifth Corner sold this. Buyer not stayed in blurb attached. 

JLL Capital Markets represented the seller, Fifth Corner, and Meredith Cullen and David Cook with Cushman and Wakefield represented the buyer, in the sale of Garden Oaks Shopping Center, a 13,877-SF center at the northeast corner of Shepherd Road and 34th Street. The center, built in 1950, has a Pink’s Pizza and other tenants.

https://realtynewsreport.com/rnr-real-estate-briefs-texas-more-30/

County records indicate Garden Oaks Shopping Center changed hands in late December. A warranty deed for the property was recorded two weeks ago.

According to the document, Denver-based Accruit purchased the 3406 N Shepherd Dr parcel. HCAD records have not been updated to reflect the change in ownership thus far.

Garden Oaks Shopping Center is located at 3402-3412 N Shepherd Dr.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Garden Oaks Shopping Center At 3402-3410 N. Shepherd Dr.