Paco Jones

Would be really cool if Houston could build something similar to San Antonio's Pearl District somewhere on the East End. Seems like the perfect vibe for it. Feels like we don't really have any grand farmer market type areas established and San Antonio's is absolutely massive with many tents and offerings. 

At first this project kind of reminded me of it but I am not so sure anymore.

20210117_112401.jpg

20210115_221322.jpg

20210117_112250.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 3:05 AM, wilcal said:

My first thought for a Pearl a la Houston would be the coffee plant, but honestly it might not be big enough. Surely these large industrial users in the East End will start to fall and someone will go big. 

When thinking of the Pearl in San Antonio I think the best location for recreating that historical setting would be Imperial in Sugar Land. You definitely lose the proximity to downtown but just a couple of cents to throw in the pile.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, EastEndHeritage said:

What happened with the drive-in theater? Last time I checked, their website announced all screening have been postponed. .

I have two main suspicions:

1. Tech issues (I have seen them running what is clearly AV tests recently)

2. Parking issues.

Regarding 2: the lot there is very soft. They only brought in a few trucks of rocks to pave it. I suspect this creates a giant mud pit after it rains. I suspect this is the primary reason for the closure as I have seen a few 18 wheelers dropping off materials recently.

• Like 2

Good to know the time table on this, we need more of these predominately market-rate housing and premium office and retail developments to come online in this area soon, to help offset all of the affordable housing planned. 

It is nice to see a developer in tune with the history of the area and going out of their way to emphasize not only reuse of existing buildings but using materials that are consistent with existing building styles.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Mill: Mixed-Use In EaDo
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, EastEndHeritage said:

Does anyone know what is the reason for Rooftop Cinema stopping movie screenings?

No idea, and the website isn't much help. I see people over there periodically, but they don't seem to be working to "fix" anything. It has been a mystery.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 12:55 PM, sapo2367 said:

I hope this lives up to the renders! The wood construction will be really unique :)

Its a Michael Hsu project. He has a good reputation of doing nearly exactly what he advertises. I don't see anything, from a professional's viewpoint, which could not be done from what has been exhibited.

If you are interested in what this project looks like then take a look at the threads for 888 Westheimer, The M.K.L, and Zadok Jewelers. All Michael Hsu projects of different types, with the same style of eclectic materials, and wide range of uses in each project.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 12:08 PM, EastEndHeritage said:

Does anyone know what is the reason for Rooftop Cinema stopping movie screenings?

I guess Rooftop wont be coming back to this location.

"Sad news for fans of the cinema club’s buzzy drive-in movie experience, The Drive-In off Navigation. “We’re sad to say that due to complications with city permitting, we aren’t able to re-open this venue,” the email notes."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/08-05-21-rooftop-cinema-club-uptown-blvd-place-tickets-august-11-september-movies/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, EastEndHeritage said:

I guess Rooftop wont be coming back to this location.

"Sad news for fans of the cinema club’s buzzy drive-in movie experience, The Drive-In off Navigation. “We’re sad to say that due to complications with city permitting, we aren’t able to re-open this venue,” the email notes."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/08-05-21-rooftop-cinema-club-uptown-blvd-place-tickets-august-11-september-movies/

Cool, now start construction on The Mill. Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1