12 hours ago, hindesky said:

One of the guys said his ultimate goal would be to get it running and taking to Commerce St tracks into downtown, I'm pretty sure he was joking. He said he grew up in the Heights but now lives in Goliad.

He was totally joking. They’ve paved over portions of the Commerce St. tracks in multiple places, so it wouldn’t even be possible at this point.

On the new East End Bike Plan, the Commerce stretch seems to be a target for development. I’m holding out hope that they pull out the railroad tracks and repave the entire street, adding high-comfort bike lanes.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

He was totally joking. They’ve paved over portions of the Commerce St. tracks in multiple places, so it wouldn’t even be possible at this point.

On the new East End Bike Plan, the Commerce stretch seems to be a target for development. I’m holding out hope that they pull out the railroad tracks and repave the entire street, adding high-comfort bike lanes.

I hope they keep the tracks and incorporate them in the new bike-friendly design. I love keeping that old history and character. Like the brick streets that you can still see in the Fourth Ward.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, 77011transplant said:

I hope they keep the tracks and incorporate them in the new bike-friendly design. I love keeping that old history and character. Like the brick streets that you can still see in the Fourth Ward.

In-street rails aren't particularly bike-friendly.  You can have both, but I wouldn't mix them in the same space.

• Like 1

I talked to a couple that were walking their dog and live on Commerce St. They want the tracks removed because every time a truck rides over the tracks it rattles the truck and creates a very aggravating noise.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, hindesky said:

I talked to a couple that were walking their dog and live on Commerce St. They want the tracks removed because every time a truck rides over the tracks it rattles the truck and creates a very aggravating noise.

The Potholes probably do the same. Commerce & Canal are warzones.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, hindesky said:

Commerce is just a bad street all around. The tracks running down the middle have created a lot of potholes through washout, and the City has only patched some of it. Oddly enough, the street is so wide that you also have a lot of people speeding at 45+ MPH down it, especially between Palmer and St. Charles. It's a bad combination. 

I drive down it every day and definitely get some Mad Max vibes. They cannot redo Commerce fast enough.

• Like 1

they'll need to figure something out. Scott to Commerce was a great bypass when they were doing the construction on the 45 to 59 interchange recently, and will be again if the i45 realignment project is allowed to start.

Haven't seen it without the wrap for years, looks in pretty good shape. I noticed the guys I talked must have covered up some of the open holes to keep bugs, animals and rain out.

aknxGNI.jpg

darnntU.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

They had 2 cranes about to remove the engine off the tracks that it came with and were going to lower it onto the existing tracks. Was told it weighed 309,000lbs and would be winched back to the other trains down the track. I was also told the the train with the tarp was built in 1915.

WzcB968.jpg

wLYw4i9.jpg

gDP7T6b.jpg

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...