The Lawndale: Multifamily At 8225 Lawndale St.

Luminare

If this project succeeds, would it signify that this particular form of multifamily(urban block with structured parking) is now viable on the lower end?

New garden apartments get built occasionally in forgotten areas but the urban style ones tend to be reserved for expensive desirable areas. But if it was possible to build urban apartments in cheaper areas it would be revolutionary. More multifamily could crop up in closer in locations like this.

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 3

Well for anyone working along the Houston Ship Channel, this is as best a place as any. You can hop on on 225 and go on either side of the channel without tolls. 

Great for younger singles or couples that work in any of the terminals, POH, Agency, whatever. Especially if you have to go to Customs on Office City Dr.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, zaphod said:

If this project succeeds, would it signify that this particular form of multifamily(urban block with structured parking) is now viable on the lower end?

New garden apartments get built occasionally in forgotten areas but the urban style ones tend to be reserved for expensive desirable areas. But if it was possible to build urban apartments in cheaper areas it would be revolutionary. More multifamily could crop up in closer in locations like this.

People forget that when Post-Midtown, Camden Midtown , Ventana at Midtown were built, Midtown was sort of a dump. Rents werent particularily expensive (at least compared to now) back in the early 2000's for those places. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

People forget that when Post-Midtown, Camden Midtown , Ventana at Midtown were built, Midtown was sort of a dump. Rents werent particularily expensive (at least compared to now) back in the early 2000's for those places. 

I was in the apartment market back then.  I really wanted to live in Post-Midtown because it was actually like a real city street.  The rent for 1 beds was one of the most expensive in the city at almost $1,000.  Camden Midtown was more reasonable, but a crumbier complex with ground floor hobos instead of retail.  But it was still on the expensive side for back then due to the proximity to downtown.  

I don't think that this part of the East side is going to gentrify like Midtown and you could actually make a case that Midtown was dumpier back in the early 2000s.  But I think this is a good location for affordable housing.  There is gentrification creeping out from Eastwood towards Pecan Park.  Once it hits a Heights-esque critical mass, the need for affordable housing will just continue to grow.  This city needs as many affordable housing units inside the loop as can be built.    

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, s3mh said:

I was in the apartment market back then.  I really wanted to live in Post-Midtown because it was actually like a real city street.  The rent for 1 beds was one of the most expensive in the city at almost $1,000.  Camden Midtown was more reasonable, but a crumbier complex with ground floor hobos instead of retail.  But it was still on the expensive side for back then due to the proximity to downtown.  

I don't think that this part of the East side is going to gentrify like Midtown and you could actually make a case that Midtown was dumpier back in the early 2000s.  But I think this is a good location for affordable housing.  There is gentrification creeping out from Eastwood towards Pecan Park.  Once it hits a Heights-esque critical mass, the need for affordable housing will just continue to grow.  This city needs as many affordable housing units inside the loop as can be built.    

agreed, I rented at Post Midtown in 2009, right after the financial crisis. If I remember correctly the 2 bedrooms (I had a roommate) were running like $1300/mo total at the time. That price point rose precipitously as the years went on.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Well for anyone working along the Houston Ship Channel, this is as best a place as any. You can hop on on 225 and go on either side of the channel without tolls. 

Great for younger singles or couples that work in any of the terminals, POH, Agency, whatever. Especially if you have to go to Customs on Office City Dr.

I also need to update the Development Map to reflect the recent Metro Next changes. The route I currently have is now out of date. The current proposal has the Green Line going along Broadway till Park Place Blvd before jogging West toward Reveille St / Telephone Rd and then jogging back east toward Hobby Airport. With that in mind its not out of the realm of possibility that Lawndale has a chance to grow at some point with its proximity to POH, Hobby, I-45, 255, etc...

16 hours ago, zaphod said:

The Site plan and Elevations are actually quite confusing The elevations don't show the garage because there isn't structured parking for this. Half the site will be apartments while the other site will be surface parking. They are trying to reduce their parking count for the site by off loading that to the Bike Parking Reduction and the overall density of the units, and they are going for an off-street parking variance to finish it off. I don't know if they are going to get it though, maybe they will. If they don't get the variance then they will most likely have to include structured parking which could delay this. Whats odd is that the apartments won't face Lawndale, but instead the parking lot will. Regardless, if built it will be the one of the first new developments in this area in a very long time which is great.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Lawndale Grove 1001 Frio St.
  • The title was changed to Lawndale Grove Multifamily by Lovett Commercial
  • The title was changed to Lawndale Grove Multifamily By Lovett Commercial
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Lawndale: Multifamily At 8225 Lawndale St.
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...