Hay Center Campus: 3131 Gulf Fwy.

Urbannizer

22 hours ago, strickn said:

Aren't there noise and asthma/air quality reasons not to put a residence for young adults along Gulf Freeway?  Even in the middle of Houston Botanic Garden you can't forget the uncomfortably close sounds of this traffic.

Forget the freeway, have you heard the trains horns all night long?

• Like 2

This seems to be divided into 3 sections. The section next to the feeder, the biggest section in the middle with the horses and a section next to Leeland St. The dividing line to the section is only a fence that surrounds the middle horse section. I wonder if they will subdivide this. There are "For Sale "signs on the 2 end sections.

The freeway section.....screen grab.

PTWIke1.jpg

The horse section, the biggest by far....... my pic.

iejAdhF.jpg

The north small section on Leeland St..... screen grab. Each end section has different broker.

A7OIKQy.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

The trains have been blaring all night long for decades. At least that's what long time residences say when people complain on NextDoor.

Living in the area, I also routinely see those comments on NextDoor. Long-term residents essentially bragging about being able to tolerate high-decibel train horns like it’s some sort of badge of honor—unlike all of the new residents, apparently—is the strangest thing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2021 at 9:48 AM, thedistrict84 said:

Living in the area, I also routinely see those comments on NextDoor. Long-term residents essentially bragging about being able to tolerate high-decibel train horns like it’s some sort of badge of honor—unlike all of the new residents, apparently—is the strangest thing.

Complaining about trains is like complaining about the Texas heat. You're an asshole! hahaha

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to New Hay Center Campus: 3131 Gulf Freeway
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Hay Center Campus: 3131 Gulf Freeway
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Hay Center Campus: 3131 Gulf Fwy.
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

"For youth transitioning out of the foster care system, finding housing in Houston can be challenging. City council will vote on funding on Wednesday that could help build a housing campus to tackle the issue. 

The Hay Center Campus is a $39 million affordable housing development along the Gulf Freeway near downtown that will provide stable housing and wrap-around services for youth aging out of foster care. The 50-unit complex consists of 17,000 square feet of commercial building for wrap-around services and 41,000 square feet of residential space."

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/city-of-houston/2023/01/31/442704/houston-city-council-to-vote-on-funding-for-housing-to-help-youth-transition-out-of-foster-care/

• Like 5

I talked with a woman from the Houston Housing Authority at the Rosemary's Place ground breaking ceremony. She confirmed that city council was voting on funding for the Hay Center today at 2pm. Asked her if they had a builder lined up yet and she said they haven't let out the bids yet.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hindesky said:

"For youth transitioning out of the foster care system, finding housing in Houston can be challenging.

This is a real problem for these young people, and I admire the City for taking steps.

I was very active (one of the founders, 10+ years as a Board member) in a non-profit that worked to create transitional housing for the homeless. Focusing on youth and women. Our focus was those who were homeless for reasons beyond their control, such as (for example) the youths left behind when parents were imprisoned, or women who left an abusive spouse and had no place to go (as versus the intentional homeless, often called "street people"). Transitional means a place to stay short-term, until they can get re-established.

We helped create thousands of "beds" (that's the metric that counts), often in partnership with better known groups, such as Covenant House, New Hope Housing, HAWC, Santa Maria, etc.

The reason I mention all this is the specific problem @hindesky quotes above. There's a decent system of care & housing for foster youths, but once they age out, they are much too often SOL. They may age out because their current place has an age limit (12 or 16 or whatever), or they hit 18, at which point foster care stops. Sadly, their homelessness, and lack of support, doesn't stop.

We worked, as an example, with Angel Reach up in Montgomery County, which specializes in helping these kids. Fantastic group, has some big bucks backers, does a great job. Often the difference between living on the streets and turning to drugs and prostitution, or making a go of your life, are these groups.

So... glad to see the city is working and funding this. End sermon.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...