Regal Edwards Greenway Grand Palace At 3839 Weslayan St.

If you call Marbel Slab a restaurant, then yes. I think that they may have pulled it because the strip center right next to the Theater has tons of restraurants with diverse food choices.

I've often gone with friends to eat next to the Theater then go to the movies.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

The Edwards Theatre in Greenway Plaza is now charging $10.25 per adult ticket. This is a .75 increase. They also increased the price of concessions. Personally, I have no problem with the increase if it somehow funds a way to disable cell phone use in the theaters. The River Oaks still charges $9 a ticket and they have exclusive titles.

• Like 1

We often drive to the Edwards Greenway theater because most theaters out in the suburbs are usually full of irritating teenagers that talk constantly or people that bring little babies and kids that whine throughout the movie. It's worth it even though you have to also pay for parking. I do find myself going to movies less and less but some movies just beg to be seen on a big screen. 

• Like 1

... but some movies just beg to be seen on a big screen.

I disagree. The older I get, the more my patience wears thin for spectacle movies that necessitate a big screen (except Batman movies), and the low-budget character movies I prefer can be seen on any size screen. A movie shouldn't cost as much as a live theater production. I also don't think attending a movie should be an event in and of itself. Valet parking is a ridiculous idea for a movie theater.

• Like 1

The Edwards Theatre in Greenway Plaza is now charging $10.25 per adult ticket.

Don't forget parking. I think last time I was there, they had just increased to $3 to park there.

We often drive to the Edwards Greenway theater because most theaters out in the suburbs are usually full of irritating teenagers that talk constantly or people that bring little babies and kids that whine throughout the movie.

My wife and I actually stopped going to Edwards and starting hitting the Cinemark in Pearland for the same reason. In our experience, Edwards was always packed and concession lines were long, while the Pearland theater was usually empty.

Another plus for Pearland...their tickets are a few bucks cheaper.

Surprisingly, even though we live inside the Loop, the Pearland theater is only about 2 miles further than Edwards.

• Like 1

Netflix: $2 per movie (if you run your account right), unlimited watchers, your own cheap snacks, pause when you like, subtitles/BluRay/HD optional

Theater: $10 x # people , parking charges in some cases, outrageous concession charges, long lines, crowded theaters, hard to get good seats, pre-movie advertising, annoying talkers - or worse, screaming children or seat kickers

The choice is not hard. Only the mega-spectacle movies (like Avatar) are worth the big screen anymore.

• Like 2

I disagree. The older I get, the more my patience wears thin for spectacle movies that necessitate a big screen (except Batman movies), and the low-budget character movies I prefer can be seen on any size screen. A movie shouldn't cost as much as a live theater production. I also don't think attending a movie should be an event in and of itself. Valet parking is a ridiculous idea for a movie theater.

Theater costs considerably more, I should know "Young Frankenstein" has tickets from 20 to 69 bucks.

not to mention the dinner.

I occasionally go to the "MET" series at Regal and those cost about $30-40 a pop. Hate to see what the actual tickets to SEE a show at the Met!

Going to the movies every few weeks, I agree with Fringe that there are just some movies that are better on the big screen, but some I just wait for cable or DVD. Especially if I think they're not going to be worth it (i.e. Clash of the Titans), but some are (i.e. How to train your dragon).

Movies are relatively inexpensive for going out, I believe.

If you're really that frugal, by all means, skip the popcorn and drinks.

• Like 1

We often sneak in our own snacks at movie theaters. Along with a flask. A couple shots of bourbon makes movies like Avatar even more enjoyable.

I always have a huge dinner beforehand, but I am Okay with buying concessions (Popcorn and drinks), since I feel like helping keeping him profitable.

Theaters don't make as much money as you think they do off the movies, and a considerable amount of their income from the concession stands.

• Like 1

Yes, but concession prices are extremely abusive at most of the big places. If they charged a sensible markup I would be more inclined. I am much more likely to buy food at Alamo Drafthouse, where the prices for actual food and beer are roughly in line with what you would pay at a casual restaurant. Its kind of shocking, actually, to be getting quality beer for less than Edwards charges for a Coca Cola.

Now if they would just venture inside the Loop...

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 2

I know that's where theaters make their profit but at some point you have to ask just how much of a markup is to much?

You can ask that about any number of goods and services. Quite a few people would not be inclined to agree with "what is reasonable profit", particularly if they, the consumers, wanted to keep as much of it in their own pockets.

• Like 1

Yes, but concession prices are extremely abusive at most of the big places. If they charged a sensible markup I would be more inclined. I am much more likely to buy food at Alamo Drafthouse, where the prices for actual food and beer are roughly in line with what you would pay at a casual restaurant. Its kind of shocking, actually, to be getting quality beer for less than Edwards charges for a Coca Cola.

Now if they would just venture inside the Loop...

No doubt! I haven't been in about 6 years but I was all about some Alamo Drafthouse happy hour movie time. Different specials each day, beer or food. We always sneak our food into the theater these days, but only go about once ever 2 years because of kids and $. I'd rather blow my money on something else, like sushi.

• Like 2

You can ask that about any number of goods and services. Quite a few people would not be inclined to agree with "what is reasonable profit", particularly if they, the consumers, wanted to keep as much of it in their own pockets.

The difference is I can pick and choose most goods and services but there's not much competition in movie theaters. 

The few times I have seen a movie there, I parked on the street across from Richomond on on Cummins St.

Just be careful not to park in any of the shopping center parking lots nearby. I hear those are major tow-away places. 

• Like 1

Also.. don't park in the neighborhood across Weslayn... I've seen them towing from there too.

I love the Edwards.. like others have said, I feel it's pretty much the only big theater left inside the beltway that is pretty much devoid off loud teenagers and asshats during the movie ( not true in the lobby anymore though ).

Musts for movie nights include smuggling drinks and snacks inside your wife's purse and getting there 10-15 minutes ahead of time to ensure enough circling on cummins to grab a street spot.

Another way to get by cheaper.. student discounts. Not only is my wife a student, but since being laid off earlier this year, I'm now a part-time student and I figure I should be able to least get half a decade out of my new little piece of plastic.

While I agree with those that have extolled the virtues of netflix, for those of us poor folks that still live off just a 25" non HD Tv and a meager decade old sound system... netflix just won't cut it for some movies. And there is the occasional movie that you just don't want to wait for.

My wife and I go to maybe 2-3 movies a year these days.

• Like 2

I love the Edwards.. like others have said, I feel it's pretty much the only big theater left inside the beltway that is pretty much devoid off loud teenagers and asshats during the movie ( not true in the lobby anymore though ).

Well, it's not exactly a megaplex like the Edwards or AMC venues, but the Angelika downtown fits those criteria, and it's plenty big.

For a number of years, I would regularly get passes to AMC theaters from a family member who never had any use for them, so I'd always wait a couple of weeks until the no-pass restrictions went away before catching new releases. Now that my source of passes has dried up and I'm down to my last half-dozen or so, we'll probably tend to opt for the Edwards Marq-E or the Angelika (it's a big plus that I can go from pulling out of my driveway to paying at the Angelika's box office in about 15 minutes).

But as the moviegoing experience has become increasingly debased, I'd just as soon opt for a repertory screening at the MFAH more often than not. It's too bad that Rice has basically ceded the repertory market to the MFAH; I used to spend a lot of time in the cozy confines of the Rice Media Center in the 80s and 90s, but I can't remember the last time I was there (and the parking situation truly sucks now as well).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Netflix: $2 per movie (if you run your account right), unlimited watchers, your own cheap snacks, pause when you like, subtitles/BluRay/HD optional

Theater: $10 x # people , parking charges in some cases, outrageous concession charges, long lines, crowded theaters, hard to get good seats, pre-movie advertising, annoying talkers - or worse, screaming children or seat kickers

The choice is not hard. Only the mega-spectacle movies (like Avatar) are worth the big screen anymore.

This is true.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

How does the Allen Center property shake out with the whole Pierce Elevated redesign? Seems like it would be something of a gateway between downtown and the suddenly contiguous piece of midtown that is far enough away from the Greyhound station to be desirable, if my recollection is correct. 

• Like 5

This actually makes a lot of sense considering they invested $50m in the greenspace of the project.  The 1600 Smith garage can accommodate a high-rise and you have the 5AC site.  Should be interesting and regardless if they build, it's a great sign that a global asset manager is talking about residential in downtown Houston.  Look forward to more big players.

• Like 3

It really makes sense for the long run that they utilize this redrawn footprint, and residential would be a great infill for the newly landscaped plazas. There  should be plenty of room for some  intriguing residences with some great views.

Bring it on.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 3