Regal Edwards Greenway Grand Palace At 3839 Weslayan St.

• 2 years later...

I don't have an update but this is my go-to movie theater (about 3 to 5 times per month)...and the whole wall the former restaurant sat behind has a huge coming soon type mural touting this whole plan that has not yet happened. I too wondered what in the heck is going on! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Nostalgia works for certain theaters depending on the location of the theater, the building's architecture. River Oaks Theatre is an example of this. In my opinion, the nostalgia factor doesn't work here. It has to attract the pre-teen to 40 year old crowd, that consists of millennials and Gen-Z. Retro products, logos (Pizza Hut) and venues are making a comeback, but for this center to gain the crowds (or even a fraction of the crowds) it used to draw in '99 through the early 2000's , there has to be an update to the venue.

Probably all true, but you’re talking to someone who liked the vibe of the Windchimes dollar theater on Westheimer.  You can also probably guess the River Oaks Theater is my favorite. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Edwards Grand Palace - 24 Greenway Plaza
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Residential Project By Brookfield Property Group
  • The title was changed to RIDA Brookfield: Potential Mixed-Use at 3839 Weslayan
10 hours ago, gene said:

I am hearing rumors that this may come down and new towers going up in it's place!? NoOoOooOOoOoooo...well unless they have the theater within the towers! 🙃

That would be less than optimal, considering that it's one of the only theaters in town that has (or had, at any rate) the ability to screen 70mm prints. Not that it matters all that much now, as the exhibition industry is practically on life support and the chances of anyone doing a limited 70mm run in a non-repertory setting are probably between slim and none for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Regal Edwards Greenway Grand Palace: 24 Greenway Plaza
  • The title was changed to RIDA Brookfield: Potential Mixed-Use At 3839 Weslayan
1 hour ago, Highrise Tower said:

Regal Edwards Greenway Grand Palace planned a $12 million renovation last year. This project could be far out?

omOPvHY.png

Did this project actually start? Edwards had gotten a bit long in the tooth and needs work to be competitive with the newer complexes (compare to the Cinemark Memorial City).  

The needed renovations come at a time when there’s been a shift away from the Megaplexes of the 90’s. The AMC Studio 30 at Dunvale recently closed.  It’s just tough to get a good number of people in the multitude of screens these theaters have. If this renovation didn’t move forward last year, I wouldn’t be shocked if the owner determined the cost of the renovation wouldn’t be worth it in the long run given the shifting tastes in cinema attendance.

• Like 5

On 4/6/2021 at 8:25 PM, mkultra25 said:

That would be less than optimal, considering that it's one of the only theaters in town that has (or had, at any rate) the ability to screen 70mm prints. Not that it matters all that much now, as the exhibition industry is practically on life support and the chances of anyone doing a limited 70mm run in a non-repertory setting are probably between slim and none for the foreseeable future.  

What is a non-repertory setting in the movie world?  

6 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

What is a non-repertory setting in the movie world?  

Theaters that primarily show first-run films, i.e., megaplexes and the large chains like AMC and Regal, as opposed to those that show older and classic films (aka "rep houses").

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1