East End Bike Plan released

On 4/1/2021 at 8:10 AM, wilcal said:

They know that riding on Commerce sucks, but might take some major construction with rail line still set in the middle of the street. 

As someone who lives on Commerce St., a substantial reworking and repaving of Commerce with dedicated bike lanes added to connect the Harrisburg Rail Trail and Buffalo Bayou trails in downtown is definitely optimal.

• Like 6

• 6 months later...
On 4/6/2021 at 4:30 PM, thedistrict84 said:

As someone who lives on Commerce St., a substantial reworking and repaving of Commerce with dedicated bike lanes added to connect the Harrisburg Rail Trail and Buffalo Bayou trails in downtown is definitely optimal.

Are there any actual funds or work planned for Commerce St? I fully agree with this and am tired of the East End neglecting this major corridor with all the development going on along it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So this is funded now?

No.

There was an update from this week about the status of all of the current bike projects, and it isn't listed. With that being said, there are not any Precinct 2 projects listed, which I thought that this would be under. 

https://houstonbikeplan.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/BAC-Slides_October-2021.pdf

I emailed CoH bikeways to ask about this. I attended several of the East End Bike Plan events, and it was abundantly clear that the Commerce St corridor was hugely requested, but the extra rub is the train rails set into the pavement that would need to be removed. 

• Like 3

I did get a reply from CoH Planning about Precinct 2 projects, and he said that they were not included on the BAC list and that they should be. 

I asked about Commerce, and they said that they hadn't heard anything, but Milby, Navigation, and Forest Hill streets had received funding.

He would make sure to get an updated status on the PCT2 projects for the next quarterly update. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

totally forgot to follow up on this:

https://files.constantcontact.com/1d03b1ce601/22c61473-0f2e-41cf-bae9-9aeed06517e9.pdf

I believe the project has already started, as they are doing some work on the median at Lawndale and Wayside.

I'm very interested to see how the enforcement of parking restrictions around Kipp are handled, traffic during school pick up/drop off is atrocious. 

no other way to say it, I'm looking forward to this going in, hopefully Telephone road from Lawndale to Cullen is next.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

work has been commencing in earnest for over a week.

they are moving east to west, and working between Wayside and Forest Park now. it looks like (for this portion at least) they aren't just doing armadillos, but will be doing actual concrete curbs that have rebar tied into the street.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 9:52 AM, samagon said:

work has been commencing in earnest for over a week.

they are moving east to west, and working between Wayside and Forest Park now. it looks like (for this portion at least) they aren't just doing armadillos, but will be doing actual concrete curbs that have rebar tied into the street.

That is great to hear!

• 2 months later...

this has to be the slowest bike lane project. but to their credit, it's not just the plastic armadillos and some paint, they have actual concrete curbs that are mostly built out, and a lot of the lanes have been marked and are sufficiently wide to comfortably ride.

I think once KIPP is out for summer they will go full speed to complete it before school goes back in the fall.

I'm ready for it to be done, and for them to start on Telephone.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2022 at 9:30 PM, samagon said:

this has to be the slowest bike lane project. but to their credit, it's not just the plastic armadillos and some paint, they have actual concrete curbs that are mostly built out, and a lot of the lanes have been marked and are sufficiently wide to comfortably ride.

I think once KIPP is out for summer they will go full speed to complete it before school goes back in the fall.

I'm ready for it to be done, and for them to start on Telephone.

the path has finally been completed, they installed all the signs and finished painting just recently. 6 months to add roughly 1.5 miles of bike lane. 

• Like 4