Intersection Of Fairview And Taft St.

I’ve been trying to post District C plan to improve pedestrian safety at 6 different locations in Montrose. I can’t find the list that includes the entire list.

This is another one mentioned at Last Tuesdays Neartown zoom.

The four corners of this intersection have very little “ right of way” land- when you cross from corner to corner there is no sidewalk nor curb demarcation. The use of very large heavy  planters at each corner ( placed by each stop sign- I think) was discussed as a quick step to enhance safety for those crossing the street.

Fairview has long been a source of vexation for pedestrians.
There are few streets in Houston that have so many desirable options for dining and bar-hopping within walking distance of each other. However, navigating the broken and missing sidewalks, open ditches, haphazard parking and intrusive plantings while dodging vehicular traffic add a sense of adventure that many people find unwelcome. On Fairview, flirting with disaster is an activity many people prefer to do indoors. 
There's just not much room which traffic and sidewalks can be put into. The planter idea sounds like a creative solution to a pressing problem. It's been my observation that many drivers are more concerned about running into something that might damage their car than about running into a person.
I also wouldn't mind seeing road humps. This is one city street where the 30 mph speed limit may be excessive, especially when cars and pedestrians are mere inches from one another. 

12 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Fairview has long been a source of vexation for pedestrians.
There are few streets in Houston that have so many desirable options for dining and bar-hopping within walking distance of each other. However, navigating the broken and missing sidewalks, open ditches, haphazard parking and intrusive plantings while dodging vehicular traffic add a sense of adventure that many people find unwelcome. On Fairview, flirting with disaster is an activity many people prefer to do indoors. 
There's just not much room which traffic and sidewalks can be put into. The planter idea sounds like a creative solution to a pressing problem. It's been my observation that many drivers are more concerned about running into something that might damage their car than about running into a person.
I also wouldn't mind seeing road humps. This is one city street where the 30 mph speed limit may be excessive, especially when cars and pedestrians are mere inches from one another. 

Agreed. Time to do away with all street parking along Fairview. I mean, what the hell is up with the section in front of Barnaby's? I don't understand how parking is allowed there. 

People also regularly just park on the sidewalk in parts:

am353oP.png

11 minutes ago, Texasota said:

I'm rarely in favor of turning a two-way street into a one-way, but I think I'd argue for it with Fairview. One-way, one lane. Use the rest of the space for bike lanes and rebuilding the sidewalks. 

I like that, but would probably be a mess in practice. All of the opposite direction traffic would be pushed to surrounding streets, and none are particularly well suited for that. 

Houston Bike Plan does call for dedicated protected lanes on Fairview, though, so you may be right. 

• The title was changed to Intersection Of Fairview And Taft St.

Archived