The GOP Nominee For President In 2024 Is

Blue Dogs

For those who are under rocks, the 2024 Presidential campaign has begun & for others: the GOP primaries began on Saturday, November 7th, 2020 when Biden was declared the 46th President defeating then-President Donald Trump. 

Big question is who'll be the GOP nominee for President in 2024 & could possibly win the White House ?

A.) FL Governor Ron DeSantis (R)

B.) Former President Donald Trump 

C.) Former VP Mike Pence 

D.) United States Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX)

E.) United States Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO)

F.) United States Senator Richard Scott (R-FL)

G.) SD Governor Kristi Noem (R)

H.) Someone we never see coming 

• 11 months later...
On 3/29/2021 at 9:34 AM, Blue Dogs said:

For those who are under rocks, the 2024 Presidential campaign has begun & for others: the GOP primaries began on Saturday, November 7th, 2020 when Biden was declared the 46th President defeating then-President Donald Trump. 

Big question is who'll be the GOP nominee for President in 2024 & could possibly win the White House ?

A.) FL Governor Ron DeSantis (R)

B.) Former President Donald Trump 

C.) Former VP Mike Pence 

D.) United States Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX)

E.) United States Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO)

F.) United States Senator Richard Scott (R-FL)

G.) SD Governor Kristi Noem (R)

H.) Someone we never see coming 

Pence is done in the Republican Party.

I think the only question left unanswered right now is if Desantis plans on running against Trump or not.

A lot can happen in one or two years.

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, lockmat said:

Pence is done in the Republican Party.

I think the only question left unanswered right now is if Desantis plans on running against Trump or not.

A lot can happen in one or two years.

Maybe Trump/Desantis?  Clearly it won't be Trump/Pence.

7 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I think Trump would have to move back to New York (or somewhere else) for Trump/DeSantis to happen.

I don't think that would be much of an issue.  People know he's a New Yorker.

14 hours ago, august948 said:

I don't think that would be much of an issue.  People know he's a New Yorker.

Legally, the President and Vice-President can't be residents of the same state.

6 hours ago, Ross said:

Legally, the President and Vice-President can't be residents of the same state.

I don't think that's accurate, though it's traditional for the presidential nominee to pick someone who will bring the ticket some sort of geographical or identity advantage.

If I'm wrong, let me know what law this would violate.

There is no law prohibiting the president and vice president being from the same state.  However, there is a little wrinkle in the Constitution that prohibits electors (electoral college) from casting both their ballots (president and vice president) for persons from the same state as themselves.  So that would prohibit Florida from casting its electoral votes for President and Vice President, both of whom are residents of Florida. 

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

There is no law prohibiting the president and vice president being from the same state.  However, there is a little wrinkle in the Constitution that prohibits electors (electoral college) from casting both their ballots (president and vice president) for persons from the same state as themselves.  So that would prohibit Florida from casting its electoral votes for President and Vice President, both of whom are residents of Florida. 

I would guess then that one or the other would change his residency.  Not too hard to do.

I'm only looking for Populist candidates. No matter if they are left or right. Since this thread is about the GOP, here are some of my thoughts;

1) Anyone that has been associated with the GOP establishment over the past few decades is DOA when it comes to nomination. Anyone that is associated with the NeoCons is also DOA. Anyone associated with previous impeachment efforts is DOA. Anyone who supports the prevailing narrative of Jan 6th (btw this isn't about whether I believe the narrative or not or whether I believe in any alternatives. I'm simply speaking pragmatically and as a populist and what I understand the Trump base to be) is DOA. This for me crosses out Pence, Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley. Richard Scott I actually don't know very well, but as much as I tune into politics if I haven't heard of him then you can bet your average voter hasn't.

2) Right now the GOP has solid Governors who have strong consolidation politically within their states, but near zero have a ton of influence outside of their states. DeSantis comes the closest since he has been mimicking Trump the most, but without the blunt edge and chaos of Trump. This will lead more into my next point in a sec. Because very few Governors have broader national appeal, in my opinion, this quickly eliminates Kristi Noem.

3) Whoever can rally the Trump base, but appeal to your typical country club / Rhino Republican will be the clear frontrunner. Its a hard balance to strike, but will see who can be the most pragmatic and flexible. As illustrated in my previous point DeSantis is by far the closest. On the exterior he looks like your typical cookie-cutter Republican, but his mannerisms and speech have matched Trump pretty well. DeSantis is also constantly pushing the message forward, and bringing up issues that matter, and furthermore is actually implementing policy in his state which proves he can lead by example. Again with DeSantis, the jury is still out whether he has broad national appeal. I don't know if he does yet. Pence.....well Pence is just plane F'ed. He has no base unless the establishment can pull a ground game like the Dems did with Biden, and can sell Pence good with the media. Otherwise, Pence is toast. Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley are very similar, and I think this will be their biggest problem come primary season. What makes them different? They both tend to hang in the same circles, hang with a particular base of the GOP, are not Rhino but at the same time not MAGA. They need to commit right now to an audience or they can forget even trying. Kristi Noem knows how to talk like a populist, but is she? I think thats what everyone is trying to figure out right now. Is she MAGA or is she a reformed Rhino? Who knows. I think the first debate will really show if she is dedicated to running at all.

4) That leaves Trump. Really he is still the best candidate, but even his ticket is...well awkward. The benefit Trump has right now is basically Biden is making Trumps case for him. The last State of the Union was basically a Dem "MAGA Light" pitch, but Trump is MAGA, is the better Capitalist, actually was working on the Border, and understood who was the real international threat (China). Everyday it seems more and more statements Trump has made in the past or coming more and more true. Its really funny by the way. I'm not even saying the guy was a genius or always right, but the current Ukraine War is highlighting a lot of what were Trumps focus during his Pres. Problem from Trump is; one he is old as heck. He definitely has more spring in his step than Biden, but Trump will be the oldest ever elected if he wins. I'm not cool with that. Two, Trump still refuses to build on his base of support by building an institution of populists who can help Trump and his base keep power and fill positions once in office. I was interested if Trump would pull an Andrew Jackson and create a new populist party, but that is never going to happen. Three, whether some like it or not, the dude is still polarizing. He ain't going to win or convince anyone new except for independents finally waking up to why Biden was a lame choice.

5) In the end, it really is a battle between Trump and DeSantis. The only outsider I'm interested in who could really do something if he wins his battle for Governor is J. D. Vance. A true conservative populist, who understands the issues. Can relate to Trumps base, but at the same time has a more sophisticated edge that can be more approachable to new audiences looking for change. I'm definitely all ears if anyone knows others.

• Like 1

Too bad that it almost doesn't matter who gets the Republican nomination.  The way things are going for the Democrats the Republicans could nominate Elmer Fudd and take the white house in 2024.  All they have to do is bring back the Reagan's brilliant campaign question: "Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?'"

I wonder what to what lengths the Biden admin will go to try to turn that around.  They have to be getting desperate with less than a year before he becomes a lame duck.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, august948 said:

Too bad that it almost doesn't matter who gets the Republican nomination.  The way things are going for the Democrats the Republicans could nominate Elmer Fudd and take the white house in 2024.  All they have to do is bring back the Reagan's brilliant campaign question: "Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?'"

I wonder what to what lengths the Biden admin will go to try to turn that around.  They have to be getting desperate with less than a year before he becomes a lame duck.

It's also looking more & more likely the GOP is almost certainly going to win back control of the US House of Representatives & United States Senate in November this fall.

Plus, I think the GOP will pick up more Governorships in 8 months as well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 2:42 AM, august948 said:

Maybe Trump/Desantis?  Clearly it won't be Trump/Pence.

Maybe Tulsi Gabbard? Could be Desantis. If Trump wins he could ride his coattails as VP and gain more exposure, giving him momentum into the next election.

Even though it may not prevent him from winning, Trump would be foolish to choose another Establishment republican.

I think Carson would be a really good choice but I think he said he will not run again. He was neck and neck with Trump in the primaries.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to The GOP Nominee For President In 2024 Is