Katz’s Deli And Bar Galleria At 5930 Westheimer Rd.

(fyi...in interesting news, Katz has announced they will be opening up some Galleria area competition, taking over and building on the River Oaks Plant House lot at 5930 Westheimer for an opening in early 2022) (adjacent/across from Chacho's)

edit to say thank you @Highrise Towerfor creating this topic! 🙂

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Katz’s Deli and Bar's New Location On Westheimer

I wonder if that business was responsible for that Mustang? Horse? topiary that stood in ROW in front of its store for so many years. .  I’m not sure anyone has a picture, but surely there is a story some where?
 I remember parking in the parking lot by it when Avondale Civic met upstairs at Rouge (?) restaurant.  
When I first arrived in 2005, the light at Montrose and Westheimer seemed to always back traffic till many times I would be in that traffic line always next to that poor neglected sway backed equine.  No one ever took care of it and ultimately it was hard to tell what it was suppose to be.

Anyone remember?

21 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

I wonder if that business was responsible for that Mustang? Horse? topiary that stood in ROW in front of its store for so many years. .  I’m not sure anyone has a picture, but surely there is a story some where?
 I remember parking in the parking lot by it when Avondale Civic met upstairs at Rouge (?) restaurant.  
When I first arrived in 2005, the light at Montrose and Westheimer seemed to always back traffic till many times I would be in that traffic line always next to that poor neglected sway backed equine.  No one ever took care of it and ultimately it was hard to tell what it was suppose to be.

Anyone remember?

It's not clear from your story where the horse topiary was located.  Where was it?  FWIW, River Oaks Plant House has always been famous for its topiaries.  When they had their location at Westheimer & Buffalo Speedway, the Buffalo Speedway median had a whole menagerie of topiaries.  Very cool.

Not sure when they closed the lower Westheimer location, but the horse may have been left behind when they closed.

• Like 2

Uh-oh

i thought you were referencing the old plant house next to HPD storefront on Westheimer. That topiary was in the ROW in front of parking lot in front of  Plantstore. Later that plant house moved down Westheimer where the Bistecca Steakhouse (224 Westheimer)  is now. The plant house  closed before 2007 ( I think) I had thought it was a satellite location of River Oaks plant house because of the horse topiary that was planted in front of that store.

sorry I was confused.

Still I would like to see if there are any pictures of that topiary. I never heard much about it as far as neighbors knowing it’s history and no one raised a peep when it was cut down prior to Montrose Collective being built.

• The title was changed to Katz’s Deli And Bar's New Location On Westheimer
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Katz’s Deli And Bar's New Location On Westheimer Rd.
  • 7 months later...

the land is cleared! i can't wait to see what they do with this space....i am hoping they keep developing and improving westheimer from chimney rock to the beltway...i don't even know why i feel that way, i just do! haha 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 6/9/2022 at 3:12 PM, Amlaham said:

Love that they built it up to the street! 

They did the same thing with the Heights location - it fronts directly onto Shepherd with parking (and the entrance) in the back. This one looks similar, except it doesn't look like it's going to have the outdoor covered patio seating that the Heights location has. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Katz’s Deli And Bar Galleria At 5930 Westheimer Rd.