Panama Hotel

They have just begun renovating this building downtown, its gutted currently.

Panama_Before_Large.jpg

Panama_After_Large.jpg

The Panama Hotel was constructed in 1912, and was so named because it coincided with the opening of the Panama Canal. At the time the building was constructed, it boasted 103 rooms with private baths, steam heat, and telephones in every room. The hotel floor plan, when viewed from above, has a distinct E shape. This unique configuration allowed every room to have at least one window.

The building is a four story, poured in place and reinforced concrete frame structure, with a brick veneer facade. The parapet at the roof is constructed using a native Texas fossilized limestone.

Preservation plans are for the design of 20 luxury condominums and retail space. This redevelopment project began in 2004 and is well on its way to completion.

http://www.kaldis.com/panama.html

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, its finished. I don't have any pics, but the 1st floor is a retail shop by Nevada based Hurricane Reef (a tropical themed funiture/home decor/clothing shop). The pool at the rear of the building looks nice also.

Cool news clip. I am glad to see that Galveston is in a boom again and that it is moving along quite nicely. I can't wait to see what happens on the island in the next few years.

And cool that the Palisade Palms are starting next week.

• 14 years later...

Archived