Another Cyclist Beaten on Buffalo Bayou Bike Trail

Broad daylight again too.

I rode here by myself two weeks ago and the last person getting jumped there was on my mind the entire time I was passing through. I really like the east end trail as a 5 mile add on to White Oak / Buffalo Bayou. It's pretty sketchy from McKee to the new pedestrian bridge to Jensen due to the encampments, but I've never been bothered by the homeless people directly. Hopefully they catch whoever is hiding off the trail and doing this.

Edited by jermh
  • Like 1

I rode that trail once. 

I feel safer riding downtown streets at 3:30 pm on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend than I did on that path.

I really hope that whoever is doing this is caught, either by the authorities, or karma. I also hope the area is improved enough so more people use that path so the area isn't seen as an opportunity zone for thieves.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jermh said:

I rode here by myself two weeks ago and the last person getting jumped there was on my mind the entire time I was passing through. I really like the east end trail as a 5 mile add on to White Oak / Buffalo Bayou. It's pretty sketchy from McKee to the new pedestrian bridge to Jensen due to the encampments, but I've never been bothered by the homeless people directly. Hopefully they catch whoever is hiding off the trail and doing this.

I always avoid that stretch of the trail and opt to take Runnels to Navigation instead. Crossing 59/I-10 feeder can be annoying and I'm not a fan of that narrow stretch of Runnels between 59 and Navigation because of the busted up road and train tracks, but otherwise Navigation is nice and smooth and open.

Edited by linearmovement
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, samagon said:

I also hope the area is improved enough so more people use that path so the area isn't seen as an opportunity zone for thieves.

Probably won't be till they finish I45 realignment and East River development.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 11:50 PM, jermh said:

They better catch them or they'll catch these hands first. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/2/2021 at 8:33 PM, hindesky said:

This is the second time someone has been attacked and robbed in the same area west of the Jensen St bridge.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/03/02/cyclist-says-he-was-badly-beaten-robbed-on-buffalo-bayou-trail/

I noticed this picture on the front page of the Houston Bikeways site...

cd5.jpg

I think this must be the new markings for that section of trail.  Bike in and walk out.

Edited by august948
  • Like 2