1111 Pierce / Old Sacred Heart Building

j_cuevas713

IIRC, that's been the plan ever since announcement of the construction of the Co-Cathedral was made. 
I'm surprised it's taken this long.
Usually I'm a proponent of preserving old or historic buildings, but in this case, how likely is it that it would it be adapted to another use (food hall, nightclub, Half-Price Books....)?
And I'd call the architecture unremarkable. 
Sorry to see it go, but not shedding tears over this one.

Edited by dbigtex56
  • Like 2

On 2/25/2021 at 6:31 PM, dbigtex56 said:

IIRC, that's been the plan ever since announcement of the construction of the Co-Cathedral was made. 
I'm surprised it's taken this long.
Usually I'm a proponent of preserving old or historic buildings, but in this case, how likely is it that it would it be adapted to another use (food hall, nightclub, Half-Price Books....)?
And I'd call the architecture unremarkable. 
Sorry to see it go, but not shedding tears over this one.

It's not so much the architecture but more the history of the building itself. But the architecture is still pretty damn nice. It was named one of the top 13 most endangered buildings in Texas a few years back. The only thing that halted demolition the first time around was public outcry. So it was used as additional space for the church. I'm not saying it's being demolished. I just noticed a fence at the front of the property. It could have been to keep people away during the freeze. I plan on going back to the site soon. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

It would be nice if the Church would incorporate some of the elements into a plaza in front of the present Co-Cathedral. IIRC The Rite of Acceptance into the Order of Catechumens traditionally took place outside the nave (sanctuary) so it would be appropriate to have an outdoor space for this purpose.

What about the stained glass windows? I have seen other churches donate those to another, occasionally even one of a different denomination.

In Europe, and maybe Central and South America too, it is not unusual to have a parish church next to the Cathedral. Maintaining two structures obviously costs money but it also makes sense to have weekday Mass in a smaller structure since attendance is almost always less.

• Like 1

I think what will hurt most about losing this building is not simply its mere age, as though any building of a certain age is automatically great, but that it has a romantic, old world quality which downtown Houston really needs, and now one more piece of it is gone. I am not one of the people who bashed the new cathedral when it was built; I think it's great in a lot of ways, and the interior is impressive. But the exterior, especially the front, is simply harsh. Couldn't they have done an arch instead of a rectangle? It calls to mind the aesthetics of suburban McMansions with huge proportions, few details, and big screen tv's. It really looks like a Jared store, which has this same aesthetic. I think Ziegler tried hard to do make something that recalled the basilicas of Italy - I remember reading that he and his firm traveled there for inspiration - but the architectural influences of contemporary Houston were just a little overpowering.

73312442.jpg

co-cathedral-of-the-sacred-heart-2.jpg

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1