Wanderstay Boutique Hotel At 520 Sampson St.

15 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Houston Business Journal has an article about a new affordable boutique hotel by Wanderstay to open in the East End. Does anyone have a subscription?

I don't subscribe to HBJ, but I did google "houston business journal wanderstay" in a private browser window and scanned the text as quickly as I could before the paywall popped up and managed to see the address - 520 Sampson (corner of Sampson at Texas, one block south of Harrisburg); this is INCREDIBLE news for the neighborhood.

Edited by linearmovement
  • Like 5

Tried again and with some quick ctrl-A and ctrl-C I got the full article text:

By Shafaq Patel  –  ACBJ minority business reporter, Houston Business Journal

2 hours ago

Wanderstay will open a new boutique hotel in the East Downtown area after the success of the company’s first shared-room hostel.

Technically located in the East End District, Wanderstay EaDo at 520 Sampson St. will have 17 private rooms in the 6,700-square-foot space — double the size of the hostel near the Museum District, said Deidre Mathis, owner of Wanderstay. The renovations are expected to be complete by November 2021, with the anticipated opening sometime between November 2021 to January 2022.  

Mathis said she’s excited to open her second hospitality space and still make it affordable. The rooms will be under $100 a night. After traveling to over 40 countries on all seven continents and writing a book about it, she believes that travel should not be only for the rich. 

“You should be able to stay in a nice, fun, quirky, safe, clean, cozy place at an affordable price,” said Mathis, who is also part of the Houston Business Journal's 40 Under 40 Class of 2020.

The hotel will be a more mature space for the young business and conference traveler, different from the company's first youthful hostel, but it will still be colorful and community-oriented, Mathis said. 

Wanderstay chose the Sampson Street location because it’s close to the Metro and the potential for nearby activities once events start happening again, Mathis said. She also noted that while there are large hotels and some Airbnbs in the area, she will have the first boutique hotel. She hopes to partner with local breweries and wineries and have group events on the weekend. 

Mathis started to look for her second location and talked to lenders in June 2020, as the pandemic was hitting its summer peak in Houston. Even though travel in general had plummeted at the time, she said she had to think about the future and how Houston normally accommodates millions of travelers a year.

“Travel is one of the most resilient industries. If you look at any bad or horrible thing that's ever happened to the travel industry, it’s had a short-term effect,” Mathis said. “Of course, we haven’t seen anything like the coronavirus, but studies are showing that people have been cooped up for a year and will be ready to travel once a majority of people are vaccinated.”

Like most of the hospitality industry, Wanderstay's hostel, which has been open for almost three years now, was affected by the pandemic. The occupancy rate dropped to an average of 52% from the hostel’s normal occupancy of 60% to 70%. But there was still enough business for Mathis to want to grow her company. 

• Like 5

I wonder if the neighborhood has approached the rail companies to make this a quiet zone like the lower Heights did for the tracks north of Washington Ave? I can faintly hear the East End/Eado train horns in my Montrose neighborhood early in the morning when walking to my car for work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hindesky said:

I wonder if the neighborhood has approached the rail companies to make this a quiet zone like the lower Heights did for the tracks north of Washington Ave? I can faintly hear the East End/Eado train horns in my Montrose neighborhood early in the morning when walking to my car for work.

The City approved money for improvements back in 2018, but lots of work to be done...

https://www.chron.com/politics/houston/article/East-End-residents-may-get-relief-from-train-13257481.php

https://www.eastendhouston.com/public-meeting-gulf-coast-rail-district-underpasses/

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

This is great news, places like How to Survive, Giant Leap, Equal Parts Brewing, etc. will have a steady stream of fresh customers staying just a block or two away.

This location really is great for both travelers and the surrounding businesses alike.

Within a 12-min walk: all the places listed above, VooDoo Queen, White Rhino, East End Backyard, D&W Lounge, La Esquina, Champ Burger, Moon Tower, with so much more a quick rail ride or B-cycle away.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, linearmovement said:

This location really is great for both travelers and the surrounding businesses alike.

Within a 12-min walk: all the places listed above, VooDoo Queen, White Rhino, East End Backyard, D&W Lounge, La Esquina, Champ Burger, Moon Tower, with so much more a quick rail ride or B-cycle away.

Are there any b-cycle stations in the area? If not, that would be a great idea for them to reach out about getting a station added on the property.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

Are there any b-cycle stations in the area? If not, that would be a great idea for them to reach out about getting a station added on the property.

Wow, you're right. Hard to believe there are no stations between the west Navigation esplanade and Eastwood Park. They have a station suggestion tool on the website; I just added Harrisburg at Sampson.

• Like 3

Their headquarters are in the East End (on Navigation near Turkey Bend), and I always found it interesting that there are so few stations on the East Side. I bet it's a function of starting a pilot where people would be more likely to use it (Downtown, Midtown, Montrose) and expanding from there... but it would be nice to see more around here.

I added a bunch of station suggestions on Navigation, especially near the Esplanade! 

Edited by 77011transplant
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

The Crossfit gym on the same block will likely provide a better wake up call than the trains. 

I walk close by that place on Harrisburg occasionally, and they play the music there way too loud. I guess they want the music to drown out all of the grunting and weight dropping. 

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to New Wanderstay Hotel In East End
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was taking some pictures and the woman in green and yellow said I can't take pictures of private property, guess what, I did take pictures and it's not private property when it's going to be open to the public when finished. I tried asking her questions about when it was going to open and how many rooms but she acted dumb like she didn't know anything but yet she seems to be a worker or connected to the place. She then took pictures of me and my car.

gcmBjCg.jpg

YiptDbO.jpg

Edited by editor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

• The title was changed to Wanderstay Boutique Hotel At 520 Sampson St.