Houston's First Cohousing Community - 115 Lenox St.

https://www.houstoniamag.com/home-and-real-estate/2021/02/kathleen-english-cohousing-houston-east-end#.YB2dulFaibE.reddit

JPBIMcX.png

HOUSTON’S FIRST-EVER COHOUSING COMMUNITY IS UNDERWAY in the East End: Last spring, a group of like-minded livers selected a site at 115 Lennox Ave to construct Cohousing Houston, which puts connection and the environment ahead of just about everything else.

Cohousing communities are intentional collections of private homes clustered around a communal living space. At Cohousing Houston, residents from up to 33 member homes must (get this!) make decisions about their community via consensus and will (gasp!) interact with their neighbors through shared spaces, like kitchens, meals, and greenspaces. 

Kathleen English, founder of English + Associates Architects, and her husband are one of 14 member households that are already onboard for the project that’s slated to wrap up in fall 2022. She and her firm also happen to be designing the property and homes there—which range from $330,000 to $780,000 for one to four bedrooms—with the help of Caddis Collaborative out of Boulder, Colorado. 

• Like 5

• 11 months later...

A long-anticipated cohousing development is finally coming to fruition as a group of Houstonians break ground on what’s being described as the first cohousing development in Texas.

u1UTwHt.png

eTShjJO.png

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/What-if-your-neighbors-were-seen-as-extended-16792209.php#photo-21938193

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 5

• The title was changed to Houston's First Choosing Community - 114 Delmar
  • The title was changed to Houston's First Cohousing Community - 114 Delmar

Article about Texas first Cohousing in "Building Design + Construction".......

"A new residential community concept will break ground in East End Houston on Jan. 21, 2022. The multimillion-dollar cohousing project is the first of its kind in Texas and will serve as an interactive livable space for neighbors in a sustainable environment."

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/texas-first-cohousing-residential-community-breaks-ground-east-end-houston?oly_enc_id=9107D0450578D1S

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Houston's First Cohousing Community - 115 Lenox St.
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 3:10 PM, hindesky said:

Some religious recruiters were canvassing the block but had no luck, they saw me and thought I might fall for their BS, I told them I'm not interested in joining their cult.

I had some come to my door once asking if I understood Jesus.  I answered with, "Well, I'm Roman Catholic, so what do you want to know?"

Nice people, but once I explained apostolic succession, they politely left and never came back.

I never found anything that would keep the solar guys from ringing my doorbell, though.

(This was in a state where the electric company was desperately trying to get people to put solar panels on their homes, so it wouldn't have to build more power plants.  Unlike Texas, where the electric transport companies discourage home solar because it cuts into their profits.)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...