Fitzcarraldo - 3517 Navigation Blvd.

New company "Fitzcarnaldo" has a TABC license for this address. Building permits approved late 2020.

Managers listed are Steven O'Sullivan (of Cantina Barba in the Heights) and Manuel Deleon. Looks like Steven has multiple Tex-Mex inspired bars around central Hou.

His other ventures:
Cantina Barba Insta: https://www.instagram.com/cantinabarba/?hl=en

"El Segundo", a bar on Main St: https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/2019/01/cantina-barba-burgers-tacos-beer-el-segundo

Edited by ljchou
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, ljchou said:

Saw the doors open today (garage style doors leading to patio along Navigation) and bar is already fully built out. I wouldn't be surprised to see this open soon.

This is great news, another new bar within a reasonable walking distance from me. Although, given that this is in Second Ward, I really think they need to shuffle the names around and call this one "El Segundo" instead. 

20 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

This is great news, another new bar within a reasonable walking distance from me. Although, given that this is in Second Ward, I really think they need to shuffle the names around and call this one "El Segundo" instead. 

That would be really confusing with El Segundo Swim Club right down the street

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 3/13/2021 at 11:57 AM, downtownian said:

That would be really confusing with El Segundo Swim Club right down the street

Well El Segundo closed in Downtown (replaced already by additional space for High & Dry), so the name is open.

If you haven't been to one of these places they are pretty great.  Amazing no frills cheese burgers and good tacos.  Basic but really good cocktails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ljchou said:

Cool patio furniture has been added.

@Montrose1100, the pillars of eternity remain.

Helicopter moved to a more strategic location near the patio. Fence has privacy screening added.

Hopefully we'll see this place open up soon enough.

I am unreasonably excited about checking this place out. We have already landed a handful of other "trendy" cocktail bars in this area (along with White Rhino and Night Shift), which will definitely help with the appeal of the neighborhood and lead to more young professionals seriously considering living in the East End. 

Excited for Forth on Navigation to come online next month, and I think we are maybe one more large market-rate apartment complex away from turning a corner to where the East End is no longer the first answer to the question "where should we put this affordable housing complex"?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

And the helicopter is the steam ship? This should be interesting. 

Luckily there are no mountains nearby (unless you believe the Allen brothers) to carry the helicopter over.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, phillip_white said:

I've been dying to figure out the connection. There's absolutely no way the name is a coincidence. 

That should all get cleared up as soon as the pre-soft-opening interview with the owner gets published:

1*bX2SVL_BhO4tQ2bUkK-6DQ.png

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ljchou said:

It’s called Fitzcarraldo, the permit had a typo. Insta is @champagne.machete

https://instagram.com/champagne.machete?igshid=13ddzn5mmf32y

looks like soft opening started yesterday

Wow, that all moved so fast. Thanks for the info, definitely going to try to check this out this week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, linearmovement said:

Wow, that all moved so fast. Thanks for the info, definitely going to try to check this out this week.

We just stopped by on the way home. Great drinks. Very cool vibe. Highly recommend. Open concept with cocktails and snacks and eclectic jungle theme.

C99B0ACC-71DE-4451-91CA-B9B4A417785B.jpeg

34804515-FDCB-46B5-B54E-D5C5B3C8989E.jpeg

2B9B170F-C9D8-479A-A130-AF281A701BB6.jpeg

D16240E0-186E-43BA-81AB-4BE9ABB38F81.jpeg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, ljchou said:

We just stopped by on the way home. Great drinks. Very cool vibe. Highly recommend. Open concept with cocktails and snacks and eclectic jungle theme.

Between your pics and what I saw on the IG story, I'm really excited to check this place out. I had high hopes for White Rhino, but the ridiculously loud music at 4pm on a Friday and mediocre drinks had me happy we at least still have Voodoo Queen across the street. If Fitzcarraldo can maintain a chill vibe, I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time on that patio (and bringing plenty of out-of-town visitors).

• Like 6

• The title was changed to 3517 Navigation Blvd - "Fitzcarraldo"

On 5/1/2021 at 4:57 PM, zaphod said:

I'm sure Werner Herzog approves. Probably.

On 5/1/2021 at 9:46 PM, thedistrict84 said:

You can ask him personally. He’s totally still alive.

On 5/1/2021 at 10:35 PM, phillip_white said:

I've been dying to figure out the connection. There's absolutely no way the name is a coincidence. 

he's been reviewing things on the internet.

werner.png

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 5/7/2021 at 8:16 AM, Montrose1100 said:

It's like D&W and Boheme had a love child. Thanks for all the pics. Going to check this out this summer.

except D&W current (well, last time I was there, about 14 months ago) design is essentially "let's cram 50 years worth of things on the walls". assuming they didn't just open the doors with 50 years of things on the walls, this might be what D&W looked like when they opened.