Gas Station At 3409 McKinney St.

10 hours ago, EaDolivin said:

I like the industrial look with the bricks.  They match the building in the background as well as others around the east end.  This is actually looking to be a really nice gas station.  This area has been sorely needing one.  Any word on the restaurant that's going in?

Nothing yet, but if you look at some of the pics above, it appears that there might be 3 different tenants besides the gas station. 

• Like 2

Looks like the entity that owns this development also owns another gas station branded as "Primetime" with additional retail units. So this may end up with three retail tenants (based on the three doors shown in the progress photo).

On 8/21/2021 at 11:02 AM, wilcal said:

9jrPeot.png

Here's the other property:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6916775,-95.7414373,3a,52.9y,178.61h,87.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-97Nf9Gmf6hhc36PzHAYTg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

19 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

Looks like the entity that owns this development also owns another gas station branded as "Primetime" with additional retail units. So this may end up with three retail tenants (based on the three doors shown in the progress photo).

Here's the other property:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6916775,-95.7414373,3a,52.9y,178.61h,87.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-97Nf9Gmf6hhc36PzHAYTg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

That link wouldn't work for me, but I did search for some other primetime locations and they all had attached retail. The  gas station retail on the inside looks nice. 

NUy8pxo.png

f8fU2Qx.png

WhaJtCM.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 77011transplant said:

A little bit of retail in that part of town would be nice! There's a few sad looking strip centers near there south of the rail road tracks that could also use a face lift. 

Yeah, one of my buds bought a place off of Nagle and he is displeased at the lack of donut options within dog-walking range. This would be a great spot for one. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I haven't driven by here in a few weeks, but the Shell they are constructing on Telephone I think is going to open first.

my guess is in both instances that these are direct responses to the Amazon distribution center, ever since that has gone in the Valero at Dumble and 45 is more often than not completely packed with Amazon trucks. 

whether the Amazon trucks shift over to those, or just neighborhood traffic cedes the Valero to Amazon and goes to these new offerings, I'd guess they don't care, they just see a huge influx of need so they are reacting.

I wonder how this will play in a few years when Amazon switches to an electrified fleet?

I'm amazed at how many delivery trucks I see zooming around these days. I probably shouldn't be but I feel like every time I look out my window I see an Amazon, Fedex or UPS panel truck rolling by. These sort of vehicles are the perfect candidate for electrification -- pre-defined routes, limited highway driving, returning to the same spot each night to charge, no need for high performance and a lot of idle time when delivering packages or at stop lights etc.

I also love the goofiness of the proposed Rivian Amazon delivery truck

image.jpeg.c64b094488f239bb58f41a73c69456cd.jpeg

22 hours ago, zbrow17 said:

Off topic but anyone have any info on any possibility of a grocery store coming to EADO? 

maybe I've lived in the area long enough to accept the fate of what we've got, but Kroger, Fiesta and Phoenicia provide pretty much any single quick grab items, once a week we do a big haul at HEB on Washington, or 288.

the time you hit these stores also makes a big difference, I remember when I was in my 20s I'd look forward to going out with friends to bars on a Friday, or Saturday night, now I'm looking forward to an empty HEB.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, samagon said:

maybe I've lived in the area long enough to accept the fate of what we've got, but Kroger, Fiesta and Phoenicia provide pretty much any single quick grab items, once a week we do a big haul at HEB on Washington, or 288.

the time you hit these stores also makes a big difference, I remember when I was in my 20s I'd look forward to going out with friends to bars on a Friday, or Saturday night, now I'm looking forward to an empty HEB.

Whole Foods in Midtown is also a godsend. It's almost always pretty empty and easy parking.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, samagon said:

I remember when I was in my 20s I'd look forward to going out with friends to bars on a Friday, or Saturday night, now I'm looking forward to an empty HEB.

I can neither confirm nor deny this, but I can say that the chances of encountering a pallet jack at H-E-B on a Friday night are quite high, as that's when they tend to restock the aisles. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I can neither confirm nor deny this, but I can say that the chances of encountering a pallet jack at H-E-B on a Friday night are quite high, as that's when they tend to restock the aisles. :ph34r:

yes, and if the manager also wishes he was at 80s Night at Numbers, you get to shop to a great soundtrack. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Not sure what the problem is with gas station construction. A Shell station on Old Spanish Trail and Fannin has been under construction for well over 2 years. The one on Houston Ave seems to have stalled and zero work done in over 6 months. I wonder if the permits for fuel storage tanks and pumps are just harder to get?

11 hours ago, samagon said:

this project seems to have stalled.

meanwhile, other gas stations in the EE have opened.

Shell on Telephone and Wesley has been open since earlier this year. 

7-11 at 45 and Cullen just opened.

2 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

It has definitely had a lot of delays - they were working on it last week - they buried another big tank

I have almost no knowledge about how these things work, but I know that there are specific state permits for underground petroleum storage tanks. Maybe some type of issue there? 

Edit: also, I bought an electric car and an ebike so I care less about the gas station now 😆 bring on those 3 tiny retail spots, though

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

ah, thanks. I don't drive by here every day, so I don't see the incremental movement.

if I remember correctly, they had some environmental remediation work they had to do at the very beginning? maybe there was some additional stuff they found when digging in the tanks? just guessing.

Edited by samagon

• The title was changed to New Gas Station - 3409 McKinney St.
On 5/17/2022 at 8:24 AM, wilcal said:

I have almost no knowledge about how these things work, but I know that there are specific state permits for underground petroleum storage tanks. Maybe some type of issue there? 

Edit: also, I bought an electric car and an ebike so I care less about the gas station now 😆 bring on those 3 tiny retail spots, though

I recently bought an ebike as well, its an awesome way to get around :) 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Gas Station - 3409 McKinney St.
  • 1 month later...