January 2021 Software Update

editor

Hi All,

I've updated the software that runs HAIF.  I know there were a lot of problems after the last one went in, so hopefully this will improve things.

An important note: Be sure to clear your browser's cache.  After this upgrade, I was still having problems until I cleared my browser cache and now things seem better.  Hopefully everything is magically delicious now.  Only time will tell.

To clear your cache if you're using Safari, press Command-Option-E.  Safari on iOS (iPhone and iPad) is more of a pain in the butt.  You have to use Settings → Safari → Advanced → Website Data → Remove All Website Data.

If people using other browsers can reply with instructions for those, it will probably be helpful to a lot of people.

As always, if there's any other problems or questions or you just want to say hi, e-mail me at editor@houstonarchitecture.com 

On 1/6/2021 at 4:28 PM, editor said:

If people using other browsers can reply with instructions for those, it will probably be helpful to a lot of people.

Chrome: click the "three dots" menu at the upper right corner, then select More tools > Clear browsing data. Make sure "Cached images and files" is selected in the pop-up window that will appear. I believe "Cookies and other site data" may also be selected by default, and if so, you will probably want to de-select that one before proceeding.

Firefox: How to clear the Firefox cache

I can confirm that the Reply and Quote functions were acting funky (i.e., non-functional) before I cleared my browser cache just now, and after doing so they seem to be back to normal. 

So there were still problems.  You may have noticed.  I've been back-and-forth with the technical support people over the last five days, and it appears to be a caching issue with the system.

I've disabled most caching now.  The only content currently being cached is thread views for guests, which are now only refreshed once an hour.

Hopefully the HAIF server can handle running without cache.  It was pretty close to 80% capacity before.  I'll keep an eye on things.

As always please write to me to let me know if things are borked.

Archived