Charity Guild Shop At 1203 Lovett Blvd.

trymahjong

I’m not sure this was posted before......

I was a silent observer of a zoom meeting concerning this. The resale shop wants more parking. The median between Graustark and Mt Vernon at Lovett blvd was chosen location for parking.  None of the businesses nor residents remember any type of notification  mailed and the posted sign that gives details is “ smaller than a bread box”.

Apparently this is property up for sale ( or gifting) by the COH real estate Dept ( who thinks this could be a money making opportunity?)and the Guild of Catholic Women’s Charity. Does the Charity pay city property taxes?
The streets and median will be converted  to parking lot.

All the clinched jaws and frustrated faces  reminded me of the community talks about Brazos street conversion in 2019.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

moo. Not what I would have chosen, but something needed to be done with this weird stub of a street. Given that it's City property, it would have been a good spot for a little park. Cherryhurst is pretty close, but this could be set up as more of a plaza/event space. Maybe a centralized food truck hub.

Ok, now I've talked myself into being upset about this. 

• Like 2

I think this probably allows them to sell to a developer in the future. The non-profit will get a lot less heat for this than someone like Hanover would. 

I actually see it as a positive in that if/when this is sold, we’re likely to see something dense here. 

• Like 1

I was hoping that small bit of green could stay just that ........green. Green spaces scarce as hens teeth nowadays.😢

Did this charity reach out to 1/2 books or Spec’s to share back lot parking?  Maybe Covenant loitering kiddos  made them hesitate that their bargain seekers would feel uneasy. At the meeting  it was pointed out there have been attempts to buy and tear down old houses for parking.

I wonder, if the charity,after so many years at this neighborhood location understood the potential “all out war”this  effort would cause.....I know for sure COH real estate department was clueless

After that meeting it seems to point to that  neighborhoods will sue over this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm another zoom meeting, this time COH officials included, found out freedom of information act got access to entire proposal. 
Funny but when any  group makes a proposal to buy a city street, median and ROW—— COH has no provision to notify surrounding neighbors.  Sigh

The Catholic Charity ladies ( did everything exactly toCOH requirements) were caught off guard at neighbors reactions—-seems like  this is turning into a .....uh....unintended mess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

It would be a mistake to allow this.  The area is very quickly becoming one of the most pedestrian-friendly parts of our city.  Taking out pieces of the grid is the wrong way to go.

You're probably already aware that an ad hoc committee has been formed in opposition to this project. 
Further information can be found at this link to LOLA (Leave Our Lovett Alone), including an on-line petition. 
I urge whoever has concerns about this land grab to check out what's being done to oppose the project. A few emails and phone calls should make a difference.

• 5 months later...
On 1/14/2021 at 1:20 PM, HouTXRanger said:

What made that section so weird to begin with? Why doesn't Lovett just continue straight?

So tempting to say "Because it's Montrose, duh!" 🤪, but in reality, at one time Lovett Blvd. did go straight, and it was altered when Commonwealth was extended past Westheimer, sometime after 1956 (according to this map.)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

So tempting to say "Because it's Montrose, duh!" 🤪, but in reality, at one time Lovett Blvd. did go straight, and it was altered when Commonwealth was extended past Westheimer, sometime after 1956 (according to this map.)

Wow.  Love that map.  I never would have guessed that Montrose didn't go north of Westheimer (and that section of what is now Westheimer was "Hathaway", with Westheimer ending between Mt Vernon and Yoakum).

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Taking Away Lovett Blvd. In Front Of Resale Shop Catholic Women’s Guild
  • The title was changed to Charity Guild Shop At 1203 Lovett Blvd.