Bori South Korean Steakhouse At 501 Lovett Blvd.

hindesky

https://www.borirestaurant.com

Keverry on Montrose LLC purchased a 5,447-square-foot building at 501 Lovett Blvd. from American Youth Hostels for a BORI restaurant, according to Davis Commercial. Hyon Sook Lee of the R. Alex Group represented the buyer. Mark Davis of Davis Commercial represented the seller. The building will be developed as the second location for BORI, a South Korean steakhouse at 1453 Witte Road in Spring Branch. Opening is planned in late spring of 2021.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/Retail-wrap-Scooter-s-Coffee-Van-Leeuwen-Ice-15825259.php

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

dang...hate to hear that as i always thought it was so cool that Montrose had it's own Hostel! I am sure this year with basically NO travel at all, it was hard to run a business with no business (like most places...)

maybe another will open in Montrose as it is the perfect location for such a business (the next closest is one in the museum district)

• Like 4

For years this was used as my precinct voting hall. What little we could see it looked very nice. I also remember meeting several hostel clients at Griffs looking for some sporting events to watch. I also remember an Australian young man hook up with a young lady who seemed enthralled with his accent. 💓:P

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, hindesky said:

According to "Houston Historical Retail" website the 501 Lovett in on the list for demolition. I guess I thought they were just going to renovate it for the Korean steakhouse not tear it down.

https://houstonhistoricretail.com/2021/05/16/this-week-in-demolition-living-in-the-shadow-of-hope-city/

Says "Guest House Only" - Looking at photos, that seems like a newer addition in the back.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 8:07 PM, BEES?! said:

This’ll be an eclectic marriage of styles, for sure. I’m digging the East Asian rooftiles on that wall. 

It would be nice if they were colored like in East Asia.  In South Korea, they seem to be mostly blue.  Other countries, I've seen both orange and green.

These are dirt-colored. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Bori South Korean Steakhouse To Replace Youth Hostel On Lovett Blvd.
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember first being invited inside this house in 2006 for a meeting concerning historic designation. Took so long to organize neighbors to begin the process and irony of irony- this house changed owners and didn't get included.  It's not easy for those memories to pop up as I watch it transform.

sigh

• Sad 1

On 9/25/2022 at 2:43 PM, 77002er said:

Wow, that is going to look like s___

They should have gone with faux windows along the front

Agree.

Even better would be if they'd chosen some less significant hapless building on which to inflict their inept renovation.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, hindesky said:

I bet no one would eat a hot dog, sausage or cold cuts if you saw how it was made. It's a work in progress, I always prefer to wait till the finished product is presented. 😳🌭🥪

The same could be said about facelifts, too. While in progress they're not pretty. 
Still, if part of the procedure involves gouging one of the patient's eyes out, or inverting the nose, I'd have reservations.
It seems possible that the results might be peculiar and unattractive.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 11:21 AM, hindesky said:

U2TCyg3.jpg

Q26CSo1.jpg

gqCurV6.jpg

Well this certainly wouldn't classify as a Rehabilitation. If anyone wants to know what I mean:

https://www.nps.gov/tps/standards/treatment-guidelines-2017.pdf

Its the Secratary of the Interiors Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties. I don't think this house is listed as a "historic" building, but these standards can be applied to ones not listed Federal, State, or local.

What shocks me is the the elimination of windows on the front facade. One can understand eliminating windows on a secondary or rear facade for the sake of whatever new use you are incorporating, but whether one is redoing anything historical or not, to do what they are doing on the front facade is straight up dumb. Look I don't have the as-builts, or whatever drawings they had to create during field measurements, but there is no way this was the best and only option.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...