Office Building - 3202 Commerce St.

5 hours ago, JBTX said:

That's a pretty big c-store. Seems almost more like a mini bodega/market at that size.

As someone who lives two blocks away from this lot, a smaller market/bodega would be amazing. 

Also, the warehouse at 3120 Commerce (just across Velasco from this lot) has been redone and looks to be opening soon as a gym. I've walked my dog by here a few times when the doors were open and noticed a ton of exercise equipment and weight racks being set up.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

As someone who lives two blocks away from this lot, a smaller market/bodega would be amazing. 

Also, the warehouse at 3120 Commerce (just across Velasco from this lot) has been redone and looks to be opening soon as a gym. I've walked my dog by here a few times when the doors were open and noticed a ton of exercise equipment and weight racks being set up.  

Sounds like we're neighbors. I agree, it would be great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I may have spoken too soon. Preston Business (listed above for the office and convenience store owns properties in 77003, but not the one in this thread. I believe the Preston Business permits are for land in EaDo. They currently own 3403 McKinney, 3419 Mckinney and 903 Sampson (red outline in picture below), one block north of East End Backyard. I assume the C-store and office space will go there. May be worth creating a separate page for that.

image.png.50db553be04f6f91858fbc3f8400dbb6.png

3202 Commerce (0 Commerce on HCAD) or the highlighted lot below is owned by Alt-H, LLC. Alt-H just received a commercial building permit for office space.

image.png.427c8337438c43a23d53679319723b58.png

image.png.15f25673e4bc37bf8779ab458c463ff9.png

• 3 months later...

Very interesting spot for an office building, but pretty much anything is better than an empty, overgrown lot that is commonly used as a dumping ground.

I'm also curious how they are going to handle parking: a front lot facing Commerce would be super disappointing, but Velasco has a narrow ROW and would probably not be ideal for additional traffic. I guess we will see. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 4:45 PM, thedistrict84 said:

Very interesting spot for an office building, but pretty much anything is better than an empty, overgrown lot that is commonly used as a dumping ground.

I'm also curious how they are going to handle parking: a front lot facing Commerce would be super disappointing, but Velasco has a narrow ROW and would probably not be ideal for additional traffic. I guess we will see. 

I really hope a parking lot doesn't front the street, I would be extremely disappointed but I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Like 1

Equipment has started moving dirt and tearing up the old slab that was near the front of the property. They also took out a section of the sidewalk on the front (Commerce facing) part of the lot, parallel to the warehouse building next door, presumably to add in a drive.

The most logical orientation would be situating the building on the front corner of the lot near the intersection of Commerce and Velasco, with a parking lot at the back with a primary entrance off of Sherman. 

Would really love to see a site plan for this so I know if I need to chain myself to a tree to protest a lackadaisical, anti-pedestrian layout down an important pedestrian and cycling corridor. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 5/12/2021 at 6:45 PM, thedistrict84 said:

Equipment has started moving dirt and tearing up the old slab that was near the front of the property. They also took out a section of the sidewalk on the front (Commerce facing) part of the lot, parallel to the warehouse building next door, presumably to add in a drive.

The most logical orientation would be situating the building on the front corner of the lot near the intersection of Commerce and Velasco, with a parking lot at the back with a primary entrance off of Sherman. 

Would really love to see a site plan for this so I know if I need to chain myself to a tree to protest a lackadaisical, anti-pedestrian layout down an important pedestrian and cycling corridor. 

It looks like Jarvis Civil Engineering is leading the project. I'm curious if we can track down a plan with that info?

After some digging, these addresses link back to Braun Enterprises. No note of the Commerce St work but they specialize in a lot of "revitalization" projects. I can see this either being a fugly office space or a mindfully designed mixed use building - they unfortunately have a lot of both.

Permits indicate this may be a two story building which makes me think it could yield some first floor retail. Time will tell

https://www.braunenterprises.com/

Edited by ljchou
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 3202 Commerce St. - New Office Building
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This project looks to have been held up a bit due to all of the rain we have experienced over the last several weeks. They are finally starting to make some progress. 

Based on locations of framing and plumbing going in, it looks as though the building will front Commerce, which is probably ideal. As an added bonus, they look to be retaining the two mature trees at the corner of Commerce and Velasco.

53D4BF32-EE19-4AEA-B15D-3450448F646B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 7/28/2021 at 7:38 AM, thedistrict84 said:

This project looks to have been held up a bit due to all of the rain we have experienced over the last several weeks. They are finally starting to make some progress. 

Based on locations of framing and plumbing going in, it looks as though the building will front Commerce, which is probably ideal. As an added bonus, they look to be retaining the two mature trees at the corner of Commerce and Velasco.

53D4BF32-EE19-4AEA-B15D-3450448F646B.jpeg

Save the trees!! Goodness knows there aren't enough of them in that part of town anyway. Maybe we can come full circle and fill the Olshan Lumber property with a bunch of mature trees

• Like 1

10 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

1439678399_3202Commerce.PNG.5c9ed2b2509b359d1be90c8e98b793ac.PNG

Not sure what was there before that fronted Commerce. This is from Google Maps

when you're on street view, there's a clock icon on the top left area, click that and it drops down a historical timeline of the street views.

5FPp2ft.png

that particular address only has street views back to 2007, and it's been an overgrown lot the whole time.

Edited by samagon
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...