• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I noticed last week that they were digging beside the existing parking/retail/lobby structure or whatever is beside the current tower. I was hoping they were planning to get started on the second but it was hard to tell if it was something more minor like utility work instead. I guess we will soon find out.

I was thinking that the design of Mosaic almost requires a second tower - because otherwise it ruins the symmetry (with the retail structure in the center). I think a lot of other twin towers are designed so that one tower could be left out and it would not look unfinished but with Mosaic, I think there's a good chance that they will complete the second tower.

Edited by Jax

Yeah I noticed last week that they were digging beside the existing parking/retail/lobby structure or whatever is beside the current tower. I was hoping they were planning to get started on the second but it was hard to tell if it was something more minor like utility work instead. I guess we will soon find out.

I was thinking that the design of Mosaic almost requires a second tower - because otherwise it ruins the symmetry (with the retail structure in the center). I think a lot of other twin towers are designed so that one tower could be left out and it would not look unfinished but with Mosaic, I think there's a good chance that they will complete the second tower.

Yeah it would look uneven. The second tower most likely will go up then. How are slaes on the first one?

I checked it out on my way to work and it does appear that they are doing a large scale excavation adjacent to the parking/retail structure south of the first tower. It looks like the second tower is on it's way!

I walked up to the construction site today but was unable to get close enough to get a good picture of the excavation. One of the construction foremen told me that he was preparing the foundation for the second tower, and that as soon as this was finished, construction on the tower would begin.

I walked up to the construction site today but was unable to get close enough to get a good picture of the excavation. One of the construction foremen told me that he was preparing the foundation for the second tower, and that as soon as this was finished, construction on the tower would begin.

It was awfully nice of the foreman to answer the question before the question was asked.

Now if we can find out what the sales rate is on that thing. I just hope it's not filled with flippers. :P

Edited by ricco67

• 4 weeks later...

From Shasta at SSP:

in some REALLY good news,

The HBJ reports today that the second tower of the Mosaic broke ground this week officially after funding was secured. The first tower has seen excellent sales (218 units have SOLD).

Other tidbits from the article,

The base structure that connects the 2 towers will contain a Yapa Prepared Food Store, Unity Bank, a Dry Cleaners, and a 4,000 square foot restaurant/bar. Tower II will contain a sushi bar, a day spa, and a postal store. Great to see well planned ground floor retail in that area!

Awesome, I've been waiting a long time to see what the retail would be. I've been watching them prepare the foundation for the 2nd tower on my commute to work for the last few weeks. It's good to hear it's official though!

This is good news for me because I will be able to walk there from my apartment and get Sushi! :)

That is good news as far as the tower goes.

I've driven by there quite a few times, but just been too distracted to pay attention.

The fact that it's getting a decent retail element inside is awesome. I'm sure people from the nearby complexes would be able to just waltz on over to use some of those services since there is a lack of anything nearby for them to use. If they advertise properly, they should be able to capture a nice chunk of the market in the area.

As far as the sales office goes, I think it would probably be smart to have it up and running until they sell a good portion of the units in BOTH towers. I'm not sure of how many units total are in the two towers, but 218 units sounds quite respectable.

Any word on what demographics that are currently owners as far as employment goes?

Sushi? Hell I can eat that 3 times a week easy. I LOVE the stuff.

not meaning to be a naysayer, but I wonder how many of those owners are "flippers" that might be getting a bit nervous about the whole situation?

Any word on what demographics that are currently owners as far as employment goes?not meaning to be a naysayer, but I wonder how many of those owners are "flippers" that might be getting a bit nervous about the whole situation?
Good luck getting hard data from them. It is especially difficult with condos because there are flippers, longer-term investors, tenant owners, and tenant renters involved in determining who will actually live there. The buyers don't reflect who will move in. FWIW, I've looked over data for a couple of highrise apartment towers, and an incredible number of tenants came specifically from Manhattan. ...not just NY or NYC, but Manhattan. What were they doing here? Mostly energy.I'd be surprised if there were as many flippers in Tower 1 as in typical projects. You'd have to sell your unit at a marked-up price even as Tower 2 pre-sells. The customer base is basically just paying a premium to take possession now instead of waiting a year. While that is a compelling factor, that the very same undifferentiated units in the very same location are selling at a discount would be sure to suck some of the life out of the flipping market.
Any idea if the first building will be occupied before the second is finished?
It will be. But not sure about retail. A portion is under each of the buildings and a somewhat larger portion is under the middle parking podium (already in place). So some retail won't be moving in until there's space for it to be moving into...and even then, it'll be a construction site for a good long while.

Mosaic twin towers

Developer: Tampa, Fla.-based Phillips Development & Realty

Development cost: $203 million

Sales value of all units: $300 million

Size: 33 stories each, 394 residences each

Move-in: October 2006 for the first tower, first quarter 2009 for the second tower

Average price per square foot: $350

Average unit size: 980 square feet

Well 218 units in one tower sold is a good number, but I don't know if that would have prompted me to build another unless it was closer to 250-280 units sold.

The only thing is that are the services offered to the general public? Hi-rises are usually almost mini-fort knoxes when it comes to getting into one.

Well 218 units in one tower sold is a good number, but I don't know if that would have prompted me to build another unless it was closer to 250-280 units sold.

The only thing is that are the services offered to the general public? Hi-rises are usually almost mini-fort knoxes when it comes to getting into one.

Ground-floor retail, yes. Pool and recreational facilities, that's a big fat NO.

The retail / restaurants are going to be open to the public. If you look at the building, there's a stretch of glass windows at street level at the current tower. I am guessing the lobby will be in the structure in the center between the two towers with some retail (possibly), and the I am guessing the second tower will have retail space as well.

What I'd really like to see is a convenience store. The only convenience stores nearby are really sketchy, and Walgreens is a bit long to walk. Every time I go to "family dollar" down the street, people are ask me for money. There were people laying around outside begging as well last time I was there. I guess some of the gas stations in the area might have some basic groceries, but I don't really remember. The one across the street from Mosaic looks kind of sketchy as well.

Does anybody know what the "Yapa Prepared Food Store" is? Is it like a restaurant that only offers food to go?

By the way, I guess Citykid was wrong about them not building a second tower. :)

Ground-floor retail, yes. Pool and recreational facilities, that's a big fat NO.

How is THAT for an obvious statement?

What I meant about the retail. It would have been obvious about the pool and recreational facilities.

What I'd really like to see is a convenience store. The only convenience stores nearby are really sketchy, and Walgreens is a bit long to walk. Every time I go to "family dollar" down the street, people are ask me for money. There were people laying around outside begging as well last time I was there. I guess some of the gas stations in the area might have some basic groceries, but I don't really remember. The one across the street from Mosaic looks kind of sketchy as well.

Does anybody know what the "Yapa Prepared Food Store" is? Is it like a restaurant that only offers food to go?

Actually that's not a bad little convience store, the owner is really a nice guy and I think I saw him chase away one of the pan handlers with a broom once.

as far as the food store goes, just go in and see? That's how we discover these little treasures. Have you looked it up on b4-u-eat.com?

By the way, I guess Citykid was wrong about them not building a second tower. :)

Maybe we should have a "Predictions" from our quotes to see who has the best track record. Maybe put it on the wiki forum!

I was wrong about them even building the first tower. A lot of industry professionals thought that they had gone mad. Nobody had ever built any highrise in this city with that many units, and here they were trying to build two of them in the same place. And bear in mind that back in about 2003, when word of this first started to leak out among those in the know, that part of Almeda was perceived as very sketchy and has since really come a long way. Not only were they doing the two largest highrises in terms of units right next to each other, one after the other, but they were going to do it in the hood! Even more damning, the initial plans were drawn up in the year that Houston's economy bottomed out without any foresight regarding the impending energy boom.

Bottom line, these guys have had a lot of sheer luck. It wasn't enough to know what they were doing. They were just in the right place at the right time and had the right connections.

Citykid was still doubting the project one month ago.

I've heard a lot of things about the area being "sketchy" a few years ago. A friend of mine recalls a gang shooting near Hermann Park during the 4th of July fireworks one year. I'm glad it's getting better because now it's my hood. :)