KTRK ABC 13 Graphics Package

Chris

I’ve been a fan and viewer of KTRK ABC 13 for years. I’ve seen many changes throughout the years. Does anyone else think it’s time for a Graphics Package revamp or update!? The current package debuted in April 2015. It’s too generic in my opinion, a mix of skyline/city shots and modern would be a great fit in my opinion!

I'm good with it. It's iconic at this point.

I don't care for KHOU's current look and feel which is flat and consists of large color regions. That's kind of the same design as mobile apps and social media websites, so its current and trendy, but also it just doesn't look great.

I think with 4K and good CGI being available now they should keep the skueomorphic look instead and just clean it up a lot with higher quality renders and whatever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/17/2020 at 6:45 PM, zaphod said:

I don't care for KHOU's current look and feel which is flat and consists of large color regions. That's kind of the same design as mobile apps and social media websites, so its current and trendy, but also it just doesn't look great.

I think with 4K and good CGI being available now they should keep the skueomorphic look instead and just clean it up a lot with higher quality renders and whatever.

On the whole, I agree with this assessment for KHOU. It's generally been too plain for my tastes and the music is whatever - minus the odd scatting and clapping stuff. That's always been dated to me. It feels like it's like "hip" but in a 2017-ish sense. It doesn't age well. The other problem with that branding is that it is incredibly standardized. The current look and the two prior to it are the result of the purchase of Belo and it's absorption into Gannett, then spun off into TEGNA.

KHOU looks and sounds like the ABC stations in Corpus and Dallas, the NBC stations in Waco and College Station, the CBS station in San Antonio, the FOX stations in San Angelo and Abilene and so on - based on what I've seen on recent trips to those places. The execution is better on some things than others but in the end it's a look and sound in a box. That's the nature of the business as of late though. 

Back to KTRK - I don't think I'd bank on a huge change at this point. The ABC O&O Stations (of which KTRK is one) are fairly well known for holding onto a lot of their key branding elements for an extended period of time. KTRK's current music package has been in use for 26 years! The set and graphics are obviously newer, but most of either tend to get around 10 years of use on the station. Maybe in few years, maybe sooner - just educated guesses based on past history. 

• Like 1

KTRK's current music package has been in use for 26 years!

This of course makes me think they should hang on to and polish it rather than toss it. Having a recognizable brand that people associate with trust and longevity you'd think would be desirable nowadays. Like people like nostalgic hometown stuff, they like Whataburger's branding for example.

Edited by zaphod

• 6 months later...

Did anyone else notice KTRK ABC 13 updated their newscast openings with different theme and VoiceOver. I noticed the change during all of their newscast yesterday. I wonder why the subtle but big change.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Did anyone else notice KTRK ABC 13 updated their newscast openings with different theme and VoiceOver. I noticed the change during all of their newscast yesterday. I wonder why the subtle but big change.

It might be worth checking YouTube to see if the other O&O stations made the same change. 

I can't speak for ABC, but when I worked for CBS, some days the O&Os would be required to adhere very closely to the standards out of New York, and other days, we were allowed local variation.  It seemed to change with the tides, management hirings and firings, and the same voodoo that influences lottery results.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone seen the new WLS-TV Chicago ABC O&O affiliate's new graphics package? I read that all ABC O&O stations will soon be moving to this new package that took nearly 3 years to develop. Its a pretty nice package, I can see this being used at KTRK. They are way overdue for a new graphics package. Take a look below.

On 7/8/2023 at 10:31 AM, Chris said:

Has anyone seen the new WLS-TV Chicago ABC O&O affiliate's new graphics package? I read that all ABC O&O stations will soon be moving to this new package that took nearly 3 years to develop. Its a pretty nice package, I can see this being used at KTRK. They are way overdue for a new graphics package. Take a look below.

With the fake pagination arrows, fake scroll bar, and map icon, it looks like they're trying to make the broadcast signal look like a web cast. 

IMO, a bad idea.  Each medium has its strengths, and should be utilized that way.  A one-size-fits-all solution rarely is.

The camera-panning-around-a-bookshelf cold open is… pretty old.  BBC Bristol has been using that for its Bargain Hunt open for at least a decade.  This is an older version, but you get the idea:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

ABC 13 switched over to the new weather graphics that are coming to all ABC O&O stations about a month ago. They are supposedly a pre-cursor to the new package to come. Hopefully the full package debuts soon. The new weather graphics are really nice, sleek and clean. Cant wait to see the full new package.

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2023 at 6:36 PM, Chris said:

New Graphics are being used in the promos! Full package must be debuting very soon.

IMG_6496.jpeg

Happened this weekend for both this and the show they do for Channel 39. 

It doesn't look bad. I think it's interesting how they actually integrated the date, time & weather conditions into the intro itself. Might be one of those "blink and you miss it" things.

Skyline background has been updated. Texas Tower is in there now.

Regarding the bug on the screen - at least they've removed the "LIVE" tag over it that's been there for the last year or two. I don't know who exactly that was there for, but it was on both the streaming & OTA feeds. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

Happened this weekend for both this and the show they do for Channel 39. 

It doesn't look bad. I think it's interesting how they actually integrated the date, time & weather conditions into the intro itself. Might be one of those "blink and you miss it" things.

Skyline background has been updated. Texas Tower is in there now.

Regarding the bug on the screen - at least they've removed the "LIVE" tag over it that's been there for the last year or two. I don't know who exactly that was there for, but it was on both the streaming & OTA feeds. 

I've always hated their logo it looks too bulky 😵‍💫