Finger Furniture Greenspoint

Triton

This is a long shot since I can only find the exterior and Fingers furniture commercials on Youtube.

Does anyone happen to have a photo of the interior of Fingers Furniture in Greenspoint? As a kid in the 90s, I remember quite vividly how large Fingers was and just the massive amount of furniture they had on both floors was amazing.

As a kid in the 90s, I remember quite vividly how large Fingers was and just the massive amount of furniture they had on both floors was amazing.

You were a weird kid to have such fond memories of it. I remember my parents dragging me there to look at furniture and it was the most boring thing in the whole wide world in the mind of a 5 year old. The only good thing at Greenspoint was the flag store in the mall. I'm also pretty sure there was an epic toy store in that shopping center catty-corner the Beltway interchange next to the oil tanks, that is now a data center.

My mental picture is that it was two stories, the front had an atrium with glass railings, the walls and floors were white, the ceiling was high up and had fluorescent lights, and that it was just a big maze of furniture displays.

The Ashley by Deerbrook that's still in business(I went there to mattress shop about 2 years ago) kind of looks the same. Was it a Fingers too? It has a glass pyramid on the front. If not a Fingers maybe it was a CompUSA or something, dunno.

I have to admit, as a kid I thought furniture stores where there were different "rooms" set up were fun places to explore with my brothers while my parents browsed. I remember the Fingers Greenspoint store in the early 80s, basically same mental picture as zaphod. I also remember the furniture and home furnishing sections on the second floor of Foley's in the mall across the street as well during that same time. Apart from the rooms set up in the Foley's furniture department, I remember in the home furnishings section a prominently displayed Mickey Mouse telephone. I thought it was so cool, and I remember being amazed by the concept that someone would go to a store and buy a telephone, because that was when most people still rented their phone as part of their monthly service. I remember going with my mom to the Southwestern Bell office (I think it was on Gears Rd?) and upgrading from a rotary phone to a push button phone for our kitchen phone. I think it was another year or so before my mom upgraded the master bedroom phone. They still have the master bedroom phone.

mickey phone.jpg

18 hours ago, zaphod said:

My mental picture is that it was two stories, the front had an atrium with glass railings, the walls and floors were white, the ceiling was high up and had fluorescent lights, and that it was just a big maze of furniture displays.

That's the same mental picture I have as well. I only remember it because we would tend to be there all day because my parents could never make up their minds on what they wanted.

3 hours ago, Triton said:

That's the same mental picture I have as well. I only remember it because we would tend to be there all day because my parents could never make up their minds on what they wanted.

My parents were exactly the same way. But I'm now turning into them. I'll spend hours in Ikea.

• The title was changed to Finger Furniture Greenspoint

Archived