Mammoet PTC 200 Ring Crane

hindesky

I bet that costs more than $5k per day😂

That's an impressive crane, even more than the similar capacity cranes on offshore crane barges, since you can see the entire thing more easily. Here's an article on Heerema's 20k ton crane barge https://www.oedigital.com/news/466495-heerema-unveils-world-s-largest-offshore-crane-vessel

Is this located somewhere in the Houston area, where we can drive down 225 or another road and see it?

On 12/1/2020 at 9:43 PM, Ross said:

I bet that costs more than $5k per day😂

That's an impressive crane, even more than the similar capacity cranes on offshore crane barges, since you can see the entire thing more easily. Here's an article on Heerema's 20k ton crane barge https://www.oedigital.com/news/466495-heerema-unveils-world-s-largest-offshore-crane-vessel

Is this located somewhere in the Houston area, where we can drive down 225 or another road and see it?

It's in Baytown at a refinery but the boom isn't up yet, you will be able to see it best if you drive on S.Airhart Dr. It's in the red circle and will be taking down the old cat cracker and replacing it with a new one(next to where the steam is coming out).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_catalytic_cracking

42vfJYW.jpg

I worked on a similar project once. We replaced the top of the regenerator along with the cyclones. The crane we used was not quite as big as this one. This was 25 years go. We were told shutting down the unit cost $50k per day. We did a smaller 300 ton lift also and got it wrong three days in a row. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 7:37 PM, Ross said:

Thanks, hindesky! I may drive out that way over the weekend. I've got relatives over there I haven't seen in a while.

They finally raised the boom on this yesterday, the crane is huge!!! Wish I could take some pics but I could get fired if I posted them online.

Drove over there today. That's a big crane, for sure. Couldn't get any pictures, as it was obscured most of the time by steam from a nearby stack. Plus, stopping and taking pictures close to a refinery is a good way to get in trouble.

2 hours ago, Ross said:

Drove over there today. That's a big crane, for sure. Couldn't get any pictures, as it was obscured most of the time by steam from a nearby stack. Plus, stopping and taking pictures close to a refinery is a good way to get in trouble.

The corner of Dayton St and Harbor would be the closets you can get to the huge crane or Unidad Park on S. Airhart.

LPXNUq7.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok, so someone online saw this huge crane and asked for some pics of it. Some people posted their pics of it. None of these pics are mine but others already posted them, so here you go.....this is a very very huge crane ( I would say the equivalent of a 35-40 story building) and it started making some lifts in the last few days.

LMfdhMy.jpg

jbZnpBG.jpg

EUazOwW.jpg

Mh24uig.jpg

ZfEl6ab.jpg

FV7weYO.jpg

dknK69y.jpg

VN5WtDh.jpg

21 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

That's amazing. I wonder what kind of loads it's capable of lifting. 
Where is it located?

It's capable of hoisting loads up 5000 tons (10 million lbs) and is located at a refinery in Baytown. It is being used to replace a cat cracker unit.

Archived