Dian Street Villas: Multifamily At 1802 W. 15th St.

Kim Brown

"On a statewide level, the TDHCA awarded $81.6 million in tax credits to a total of 71 affordable housing developments, including 10 in Houston. Another proposed project in the area that submitted an application to the TDHCA – a 180-unit complex called The Ella planned for 1718 W. 26th St. – was not awarded a tax credit."

https://theleadernews.com/topfeature/dian-street-villas-project-awarded-housing-tax-credit/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Texasota said:

That website doesn't even really make an argument for why you should want to stop this project.

Most of the arguments are specious, and rooted in NIMBYism. Lots of the naysayers didn't live in the area when the Dian Street hate gate was installed, and have no clue what they are talking about. I laugh at their complaints about impervious ground cover, when they are living in side by side houses, where 3 or 4 are occupying the area that used to have a 1400 sq ft house and a decent sized yard. Really? You are complaining about runoff when your house is Exhibit A for development induced runoff?

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2020 at 8:42 PM, Ross said:

Most of the arguments are specious, and rooted in NIMBYism. Lots of the naysayers didn't live in the area when the Dian Street hate gate was installed, and have no clue what they are talking about. I laugh at their complaints about impervious ground cover, when they are living in side by side houses, where 3 or 4 are occupying the area that used to have a 1400 sq ft house and a decent sized yard. Really? You are complaining about runoff when your house is Exhibit A for development induced runoff?

Dang, I looked into the Dian St Hate Gate and wow: https://www.houstonpress.com/news/a-neighborhood-divided-6570721

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Dian Street Villas: Proposed Affordable Housing At 1802 W. 15th St.
  • 2 weeks later...

https://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=21458&MeetingID=476

ORDINANCE approving and authorizing Loan Agreement between City of Houston and TEXAS INTER-FAITH HOUSING CORPORATION to provide a loan of Hurricane Harvey Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery Funds for the City’s Harvey Multifamily Program, to partially finance the new construction of Dian Street Villas, a 108-unit multifamily affordable rental housing community, located in the vicinity of 1433 Dian St. and 1800 W. 15th Street, Houston, Texas - DISTRICT C - KAMIN 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Dian Street Villas: Affordable Housing At 1802 W. 15th St.
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There are still a bunch of the "No Dian Street Villas" throughout the neighborhood. I talked with person that lives in the neighborhood and he said it was due to the small narrow streets and probably because it's low income housing. He works for the largest funeral home service in the U.S. and mentioned that the company has future plans for the old KHOU property. High rise with mixed use, offices and housing. They will stay in the current building while it gets built but he had no timeline for the future build.

YZmKvAa.jpg

UxtcCOa.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Dian Street Villas: Multifamily At 1802 W. 15th St.
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Luminare said:

That small banding of stone veneer really annoys me.

Ha! I had the same thought. Totally pointless and screams FAKE. if the cheap rock veneer wasn't bad enough, lets highlight how fake it is by putting it somewhere that a real rock would absolutely never (and could never) exist..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Avossos said:

Ha! I had the same thought. Totally pointless and screams FAKE. if the cheap rock veneer wasn't bad enough, lets highlight how fake it is by putting it somewhere that a real rock would absolutely never (and could never) exist..

On the flip side, while frustrating, Detailing is hard. It really is. Transitions like these are tough to catch, and its usually missed in construction documents because the last thing typically firms touch. A young draftsman is just not considering how this looks or even how this edge condition works. With that being said this is pretty common edge condition that one would think the firm has done a dozen times and knows how to execute, but you'd be amazed "corporate knowledge" wise what firms have in their detail libraries and what they don't. I'm still learning as well. My approach would have been to take the Fiber Cement Board (Hardi Plank for layman) down either flush with the bottom side of the slab which you could then flash, or just beyond it and then wrap it as a soffit and retouch the slab. People often don't realize that what is the "floor" on the interior is often not, and should not be represented literally on the exterior.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...