Galveston Restaurants & Movies Theaters Circa 70s-80s

k5jri radio

During my several, late 1970s vacation trips from Shreveport LA to Galveston TX (approx 285 miles each way, but the closest full service beach resort), Corella's Corral (Mexican food) and Mario's Pizza (Italian food) were two places where I recall getting takeout meals while in Galveston. Corella's Corral was on 61st Street a few blocks inland from Seawall Boulevard. Mario's Pizza (aka Mario's Flying Pizza) was a short walk across Seawall Boulevard from Stewart Beach. In addition to takeout, both restaurants had indoor dining. Corella's Corral ceased operations when its owner & founder, Manuel Anthony Corella, retired from the restaurant business. Mario's Pizza, now named Mario's Seawall Italian Restaurant, is still in operation at 628 Seawall Blvd.

In addition to the movie theaters at the Galvez Mall, I remember passing near a standalone movie theater that may have been located near Broadway (Ave J). What stood out in my mind about this theater is what appeared to be Spanish language marquees and other signage. Not sure if it was a single screen or double screen theater. Do not remember the theater's name, but it may have been the Martini Theater, a single screen theater (seating capacity 1188) located on 522 21st Street/Moody Avenue. It was in operation as a movie theater from 1937 to 1979. Online photographs showing the theater building's exterior size, shape, and color seem consistent with what I remember. If this is the correct theater, its location was 0.4 miles north of the intersection of Broadway/Avenue J and Moody Avenue/21st St.   

Most of my road traveling in Galveston was in a more or less triangular pattern on or near Broadway (Ave J), Seawall Blvd, and 61st St. Not having a detailed map of Galveston, a lot of my travel navigation on the island was by "dead reckoning." It seemed to me at the time that Stewart Beach was no more than a mile from the eastern shore of the island (the actual distance is over 2 miles). Keep in mind that this was before The Beach Club and The Trade Winds high rise (each 382 ft.) condominium buildings became part of the Galveston Island skyline.

During my next visit to Galveston, hopefully sooner than later, I plan to bicycle from Stewart Beach to the eastern end of Seawall Blvd and back (approx 2.2 miles each way). For a more extensive workout, I could continue the ride to the western end of Seawall Blvd. The total trip of about 12.5 miles (2.2 miles west to east + 10.3 miles total length east to west) would be easier to complete during the off season when the weather is cooler and there are fewer people out and about.

Another option is to bicycle from Stewart Beach to the Galveston-Port Bolivar ferry terminal (about 1.4 miles via Ferry Rd.), ride the ferry as a walk-on passenger, and continue the bicycle ride on the Port Bolivar side to Ft. Travis Park and back to the ferry terminal (approx 1.7 miles each way). Once ashore in Galveston, ride the bike back to Stewart Beach, again via Ferry Rd. The ferry trips each way allow ample time to cool down between trip segments. Walk-on passengers (with or without a bicycle) board the ferry first, ahead of the cars and trucks. Total road distance is approx 6.2 miles.

• The title was changed to Galveston Restaurants & Movies Theaters Circa 70s-80s

Archived