Lynching Memorial At 1115 Congress St.

Moore713

This would be a great use of this space.  Right in the heart of the Justice Center (court-houses, jury assembly, etc) - pretty important and impactful place to make a statement about lynching and the fraught history of justice.  

Reminds me of this old documentary made by the city in the 70s, where they showed an old "hanging tree" still out by the courthouse, to remind people how things used to be done. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the very same tree used to lynch these people. Anyone know if that tree is still there?

37 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I would imagine maybe all lynchings but with a focus on particular lynchings that occurred in Houston.  IIRC, the article mentioned four lynchings?

Ok yeah, here is the description of the four lynchings in an older article with no paywall. Looks like they happened between 1890 and 1928, which would coincide with the main era of lynching nationally (the phenomenon reached its peak around 1910). Doesn't appear that any of them were hung from a tree.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/lynching-victims-will-be-remembered-with-historical-markers-in-downtown-houston/285-c5af6345-ed68-42d3-85cf-a8f19dc285d7

3 hours ago, HouTXRanger said:

Reminds me of this old documentary made by the city in the 70s, where they showed an old "hanging tree" still out by the courthouse, to remind people how things used to be done. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the very same tree used to lynch these people. Anyone know if that tree is still there?

That hanging tree is next to Bayou Place, and it's still there.

https://goo.gl/maps/iJt4P3P5uRhaWCxW8

3 hours ago, HouTXRanger said:

The "hanging tree" is still there.  From what I understand, it was never actually used for lynching but was the shaded area that those wishing to view the lynchings sat under.  The idea that it was actually used for the hangings came from its title. Not sure if that is true.  The tree is fantastic though, so I hope the fact that it was not directly related to the lynchings (if true) will save it.  

1 hour ago, kbates2 said:

The "hanging tree" is still there.  From what I understand, it was never actually used for lynching but was the shaded area that those wishing to view the lynchings sat under.  The idea that it was actually used for the hangings came from its title. Not sure if that is true.  The tree is fantastic though, so I hope the fact that it was not directly related to the lynchings (if true) will save it.  

The "Hanging Tree" and the stories/legends about it only relates to hangings, not lynchings (there is a very important difference).  None of the four known Harris County lynchings took place in the vicinity of the Hanging Tree.

• The title was changed to Lynching Memorial Downtown
  • The title was changed to Lynching Memorial At 1115 Congress St.

Archived