Jump to content
HAIF - Houston's original social media

Lynching Memorial Downtown


Recommended Posts

This would be a great use of this space.  Right in the heart of the Justice Center (court-houses, jury assembly, etc) - pretty important and impactful place to make a statement about lynching and the fraught history of justice.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Does this commemorate a particular lynching or all lynchings? 

 


I would imagine maybe all lynchings but with a focus on particular lynchings that occurred in Houston.  IIRC, the article mentioned four lynchings?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of this old documentary made by the city in the 70s, where they showed an old "hanging tree" still out by the courthouse, to remind people how things used to be done. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the very same tree used to lynch these people. Anyone know if that tree is still there?

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:


I would imagine maybe all lynchings but with a focus on particular lynchings that occurred in Houston.  IIRC, the article mentioned four lynchings?

 

Ok yeah, here is the description of the four lynchings in an older article with no paywall. Looks like they happened between 1890 and 1928, which would coincide with the main era of lynching nationally (the phenomenon reached its peak around 1910). Doesn't appear that any of them were hung from a tree.

 

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/lynching-victims-will-be-remembered-with-historical-markers-in-downtown-houston/285-c5af6345-ed68-42d3-85cf-a8f19dc285d7

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HouTXRanger said:

Reminds me of this old documentary made by the city in the 70s, where they showed an old "hanging tree" still out by the courthouse, to remind people how things used to be done. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the very same tree used to lynch these people. Anyone know if that tree is still there?

 

That hanging tree is next to Bayou Place, and it's still there.

https://goo.gl/maps/iJt4P3P5uRhaWCxW8

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HouTXRanger said:

Reminds me of this old documentary made by the city in the 70s, where they showed an old "hanging tree" still out by the courthouse, to remind people how things used to be done. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the very same tree used to lynch these people. Anyone know if that tree is still there?

 

The "hanging tree" is still there.  From what I understand, it was never actually used for lynching but was the shaded area that those wishing to view the lynchings sat under.  The idea that it was actually used for the hangings came from its title. Not sure if that is true.  The tree is fantastic though, so I hope the fact that it was not directly related to the lynchings (if true) will save it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kbates2 said:

 

The "hanging tree" is still there.  From what I understand, it was never actually used for lynching but was the shaded area that those wishing to view the lynchings sat under.  The idea that it was actually used for the hangings came from its title. Not sure if that is true.  The tree is fantastic though, so I hope the fact that it was not directly related to the lynchings (if true) will save it.  

 

The "Hanging Tree" and the stories/legends about it only relates to hangings, not lynchings (there is a very important difference).  None of the four known Harris County lynchings took place in the vicinity of the Hanging Tree.

 

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to Lynching Memorial Downtown

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...