Warehouse District

I continue to be impressed by how quietly new townhomes are sprouting up over much of the Warehouse District. Just the other day, on a site that I thought would never come close to seeing new residential development (just south of Texas Avenue and just west of the Ballpark Lofts), I see what looks to be a dozen or so new townhomes being built. Very impressive.

Is it that Dowling is becoming sort of the ground zero of the Warehouse District residential boom?

Does anyone have any pictures of the area for emphasis?

It's filling in quietly. The only problem is the sparseness of the residential zones due to the existing industrial. A lot of that segment is for sale though and, sort of like Midtown, is almost ready for the start of the next big wave of larger projects that will really help the place take hold as a community.

The search for land has infiltrated nearby Magnolia Park. I saw this Urban Living project that's almost completed right along the Harrisburg hike/bike trail this morning on the way to work. I was surprised to see that they're going for $225K. I saw another proposed townhouse project in Mag Park last week, just a big sign, on Garrow St.

The available land for the entry-level townhomes will continue to push east into the old East End with no end in sight. As for the Warehouse District itself, hopefully the City will put a park in near the BRT line (likely route on Dowling), plant some street trees, and do their part to contribute to the future livability of this area. The developers are definitely doing their part.

And no soccer stadium here please, these people have enough trains and industrial without adding a major traffic situation.

Yeah i live over on that side, so from time to time, i drive around and see all the activity. There is a lot in the east end/ warehouse district these days. Off the top of my head ones that are currently building

over by Kim Son - 5 large 4 story townhouses going for $356K

In Town - large townhome community over off of Clinton, several smaller ones near Palmer and Leeland.

Perry - building St Charles place, several communities going

Juliet - several large ones off of Clinton, large townhome community by Delano and leeland

McKinney Villas - down McKinney past Dowling, I think 15-20 townhomes in the $190 - $200 range

Herrin Lofts - loft building, activity has picked up

I think 8-10 townhomes at the terraces building off of Jensen

Looks like the old plasma center has been cleared and those stores closed, I think it was bought by alan atkinson

st emmanuel place - building more near the Meridian

Live oak lofts is done, still selling (slowly)

Its going to take a while to make all the dots connect, since most are pretty spread out, but all the above is within the last 1-2 years, which is a pretty significant

And no soccer stadium here please, these people have enough trains and industrial without adding a major traffic situation.

Good call on the trains, I would love to see them put more crossing arms at the intersections, a lot don't currently have them, so you hear horns blaring all day and night.

There's a nice transition from industrial to residential just south of Leeland before you reach Scott. I believe a Chinese real estate investor is responsible for this. I can't remember his name, though.

I have to say, some of the designs (not just the Chinese real estate investor's but some others as well), I've not been that impressed with, though some aren't bad at all either.

Mostly, I anticipate the continued redevelopment of empty warehouse north of Leeland but south of Texas/Harrisburg.

All the growth is nice, but they're overbuilt and over priced. Once the townhouses hit a certain price point, people are going to high-tail it to the burbs, or get a decent bungalow in the Heights. Buyers (especially those from the burbs who want to live closer in) are only willing to give so much slack to gentrifying inner-city neighborhoods.

They'll look at these areas and say, "Wow, this area is growing and it's close-in to work."

Then, they look at the price, and say, "Screw that. It's close in, but I don't want to pay $250,000 in an iffy neighborhood. I can get more house in Clear Lake."

I've seen it happen.

Don't forget: urbanism is a new concept to most Houstonians, and in order to sell it to them, the price has to be right. A lot of these inner-city townhomes are selling, but they're often to investors and speculators, hoping to profit (which jacks up prices even more).

"get a decent bungalow in the Heights" going for 250 to 400 k..talk about overpriced.

I am wondering what they are doing with that huge empty lot next to Sydnor Street on Clinton, though.

All the growth is nice, but they're overbuilt and over priced. Once the townhouses hit a certain price point, people are going to high-tail it to the burbs, or get a decent bungalow in the Heights. Buyers (especially those from the burbs who want to live closer in) are only willing to give so much slack to gentrifying inner-city neighborhoods.

They'll look at these areas and say, "Wow, this area is growing and it's close-in to work."

Then, they look at the price, and say, "Screw that. It's close in, but I don't want to pay $250,000 in an iffy neighborhood. I can get more house in Clear Lake."

I've seen it happen.

Don't forget: urbanism is a new concept to most Houstonians, and in order to sell it to them, the price has to be right. A lot of these inner-city townhomes are selling, but they're often to investors and speculators, hoping to profit (which jacks up prices even more).

"get a decent bungalow in the Heights" going for 250 to 400 k..talk about overpriced.

I am wondering what they are doing with that huge empty lot next to Sydnor Street on Clinton, though.

The heights is expensive, but it's a well established neighborhood that's considered LESS RISKY. That's the key. Anyone paying that kind of cash for a house does NOT want a strip plaza next door or homeless people walking by.

Yes, I've known people that live in the Heights that have gotten their cars broken into, but, in terms of resale, that area is far more established and thus, more attractive to buyers.

The great thing about the Heights is that the people who live there care so much about their neighborhood. I can't think of another neighborhood I've seen with people who are so concerned about where they live and so active in what happens to it.

Let's assume that in the next ten years the population of The Warehouse District increases to approximately 6,000 residents. Would the taxbase and political clout be strong enough to push the city into rehabbing the numerous BAD streets in that area? And I'm not just talking about the actual pavement, but sidewalks as well. Or would it all come down to yet another TIRZ type deal (and isn't there already one for Old Chinatown?). Either way, street upgrades would improve the feel of the area as a burgeoning urban district.

• 2 months later...

I'm a little late on this thread but I am looking in this area for a first home. I know a couple of artists who have set up a co-op studio in the area and I am just hoping that it can attract a few more independent buisnesses. I am looking to but myself and keeping a watchful eye on this area before it becomes inundated with McMansions.

I absolutely agree Coog. I have a lot of ties to the area, from the different rehearsal studios I've had, to the friends still living and practicing in the area. I've spent so much time hanging out there and I love the bohemian feel. I hope it's not replaced with these yuppie developments. Leave that for Midtown.

Don't know if you guys are aware of the new live music venue that just opened on St. Emanual (called, appropriately enough, Warehouse Live). It has been open for a few weeks and appears to draw a nice crowd, at least from the traffic that has been generated (not so easy to cut through here anymore, LOL). Younger crowd to be sure, but money is money in an area that could use it.

I especially appreciate that they used an existing old building rather than create something new.

http://www.warehouselive.com/

Don't know if you guys are aware of the new live music venue that just opened on St. Emanual (called, appropriately enough, Warehouse Live). http://www.warehouselive.com/
Timely reminder:

Friday

• 9 p.m.-1 a.m.: Houston FotoFest opening-night party, featuring Blue Van Band and projections. Warehouse Live, 813 St. Emanuel.

(Free)

link to article

Don't know if you guys are aware of the new live music venue that just opened on St. Emanual (called, appropriately enough, Warehouse Live). It has been open for a few weeks and appears to draw a nice crowd, at least from the traffic that has been generated (not so easy to cut through here anymore, LOL). Younger crowd to be sure, but money is money in an area that could use it.

I especially appreciate that they used an existing old building rather than create something new.

http://www.warehouselive.com/

Yeah Louie Messina's son designed the place and did a great job keeping the existing structure up. Hopefully those that build in the area will follow suit.

• 1 month later...
eh, you're right - it's those with the medium sized wallets that like prefab looking townhomes

I recently moved from Plano. I had only lived there for two years, before that I lived in California for 10 years. Plano was...uh...definitely not for me; especially after a divorce. So I came to Houston. My medium sized wallet looked at the town homes in the Warehouse district. I just couldn't bring myself to do it...just not enough character for me. I ended up buying a little bungalow in Eastwood.

I just couldn't bring myself to do it...just not enough character for me. I ended up buying a little bungalow in Eastwood.

it's no use settling when it comes to buying a home - i would love to live in the warehouse district, but i'd probably end up buying an old...warehouse...and redoing it. of course, that's assuming i have a wallet that's a little more full than it is now :blush:

it's no use settling when it comes to buying a home - i would love to live in the warehouse district, but i'd probably end up buying an old...warehouse...and redoing it. of course, that's assuming i have a wallet that's a little more full than it is now :blush:

Speaking of buying an old warehouse....does anybody know if there's a har.com for those types of properties? I presume they wouldn't be listed on har.com since they're not residential.

Speaking of buying an old warehouse....does anybody know if there's a har.com for those types of properties? I presume they wouldn't be listed on har.com since they're not residential.

The best thing for you to do is to drive around and make notes on any building you particularly like. Then cross-reference them to the tax records on hcad.org and find the owner's contact info. Then contact the owner directly. You'll get a lot of turn-downs and dead-ends, but when you do find a taker, it'll likely be less expensive than those that are already being marketed by the big commercial brokers.

You can also try commgate.com, but they generally don't track the smaller properties that you'd most likely be interested in.

Its not easy, but I'd think that the rewards are worth it.

Archived