2910 McKinney St.

More indication that McKinney looks to be realizing its potential as a retail/restaurant corridor.

Also, further proof that permanent adoption of the Slow Streets pilot program further down McKinney (which just ended) is ill advised. As the East End and EaDo continue to develop, McKinney is obviously going to see additional traffic volumes. Restricting McKinney from being accessible by thru traffic doesn’t seem like the best idea.

• Like 1

I don't claim to have any real knowledge of how the economics of retail development like this work, but... does it seem like we just keep getting more and more plans for redeveloped warehouses on the east side and.... not a lot of them actually coming online? I mean, just within a few blocks we've got:

- the Post building at Polk & Emancipation

- Frankel's at Polk & Delano

- HCC building at Dallas & Delano

and plenty more all across the east end.

I don't know, maybe this is normal. But it kind of feels like every developer has pie in the sky hopes for a market that seems like it's not supporting this kind of rapid development at the moment?

1 hour ago, Andrew Ewert said:

I don't claim to have any real knowledge of how the economics of retail development like this work, but... does it seem like we just keep getting more and more plans for redeveloped warehouses on the east side and.... not a lot of them actually coming online? I mean, just within a few blocks we've got:

I don't know, maybe this is normal. But it kind of feels like every developer has pie in the sky hopes for a market that seems like it's not supporting this kind of rapid development at the moment?

The Post building is under very active construction now

The warehouse next to Frankel's had a burst of activity around March/April (some steel trusses went in, probably to replace the roof and add floors), and Frankel's itself seems to be getting cleared out very slowly - every day someone comes with a trailer and unlocks the gate in the back.

The HCC building I haven't seen any activity, though the warehouse at Delano & McKinney appears to also have been recently cleaned up to be put on the market

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 1:04 PM, Andrew Ewert said:

Are these pie in the sky? Everything East of 59, North of 45, and south of I-10 has exploded (and continues to explode) with homes and apartments. There's very little retail or small offices to keep up with the demand.

The below is anecdotal obviously. 

• I drive 15 minutes to the HEB on W Alabama.
  • Drive +15 minutes to the Total Wine on Holcombe or the newer one in the "Lower Heights District" 🤢.
  • Do all of my shopping on the west side or Rice Village.
  • Most of my Uber Eats are from there or the Heights.
  • There's not a decent nail place nearby. Although it is mostly dependent on who you get, even at good places that are clean, and the towels don't smell like mildew.
  • East End Barber is really the only good men's haircut nearby but you need to book well in advance. 
  • Hell all of the greasy fast food options are past UH, down by Gulfgate, or at the last light rail stop on Harrisburg.
  • Same with car mechanics (Tire Store Service Center on Milby is actually the only good one).
  • We have like 2 or 3 hand carwash places, but after going a few times they really suck compared to Aqua on Montrose, $oap Hand car wash on Richmond, or the city's best and least expensive; Best Hand Carwash #2 on Voss. 
  • There's no in network dentists nearby.
  • No in network Doctors nearby.
  • No in network anything really. Midtown has the closest options but the reviews aren't as good as going further west to Greenway Plaza area or south to the TMC.
  • Same with Yoga & Pilates, all in Midtown. Granted this was google searching and most places are closed during the Pandemic.

However, throw a dart on the map and you'll probably land on a gym/CrossFit place.

I know where I moved to and what was around prior. Would just be nice to have a few things closer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

However, throw a dart on the map and you'll probably land on a gym/CrossFit place.

Gyms are probably the easiest (pre-COVID) thing to turn a warehouse into - just rent out an empty warehouse, update the A/C, and buy a bunch of treadmills and free weights

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Gyms are probably the easiest (pre-COVID) thing to turn a warehouse into - just rent out an empty warehouse, update the A/C, and buy a bunch of treadmills and free weights

The CrossFit I go to doesn't even have A/C, except small unit for the bathroom and their office. Same with where I used to go, BeFit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Are these pie in the sky? Everything East of 59, North of 45, and south of I-10 has exploded (and continues to explode) with homes and apartments. There's very little retail or small offices to keep up with the demand.

You make a valid point that there seems to be an imbalance between housing supply and retail demand in the area. Like I said, not claiming to be an expert on how developers gauge demand. I was really only referring to the fact that it seems odd for developers to keep announcing projects when similar mixed-use developments in close proximity seemingly have languished in construction or had trouble securing tenants, that's all.

Believe me, I'll be thrilled when we get any of the things you listed here in the neighborhood!

• Like 2

On 9/23/2020 at 9:29 AM, Montrose1100 said:

The below is anecdotal obviously. 

• I drive 15 minutes to the HEB on W Alabama.
  • Drive +15 minutes to the Total Wine on Holcombe or the newer one in the "Lower Heights District" 🤢.
  • Do all of my shopping on the west side or Rice Village.
  • Most of my Uber Eats are from there or the Heights.
  • There's not a decent nail place nearby. Although it is mostly dependent on who you get, even at good places that are clean, and the towels don't smell like mildew.
  • East End Barber is really the only good men's haircut nearby but you need to book well in advance. 
  • Hell all of the greasy fast food options are past UH, down by Gulfgate, or at the last light rail stop on Harrisburg.
  • Same with car mechanics (Tire Store Service Center on Milby is actually the only good one).
  • We have like 2 or 3 hand carwash places, but after going a few times they really suck compared to Aqua on Montrose, $oap Hand car wash on Richmond, or the city's best and least expensive; Best Hand Carwash #2 on Voss. 
  • There's no in network dentists nearby.
  • No in network Doctors nearby.
  • No in network anything really. Midtown has the closest options but the reviews aren't as good as going further west to Greenway Plaza area or south to the TMC.
  • Same with Yoga & Pilates, all in Midtown. Granted this was google searching and most places are closed during the Pandemic.

I know where I moved to and what was around prior. Would just be nice to have a few things closer.

the problem isn't that these places don't exist, they do. the problem is that for the price people are paying for their townhomes, they should have the options that they can get in other areas for the same price of a home.

back over 10 years ago, when I bought my completely redone house for just over 100k I was very happy with the offerings of the area. if I were just buying my house for current market price today, I'd be very disappointed in the options available.

the thing is, I'm seeing places come in to provide the services that match the prices, they're just coming slowly. I expect HEB will probably be one of the last to join.

the little shopping area across from the fire station where Telephone turns into Leeland, the number of little boutique shopping places that have popped up in there is a sign of change.

laundromats vs dry cleaners. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

https://www.houstoncitybook.com/lustre-pearl/?share_id=6957153

Austinites Travis Tober and brothers Brandon and Zane Hunt plan to open a Houston outpost of their popular Nickel City bar, which currently operates on 11th Street in Austin and recently expanded to Fort Worth. The dive-bar-style hangout offers a menu of reasonably priced bar food like sliders, tots, Coneys and crinkle-cut fries. It’s slated for the mixed-use development at 2910 McKinney St.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Eastdwntwn said:

https://www.houstoncitybook.com/lustre-pearl/?share_id=6957153

Austinites Travis Tober and brothers Brandon and Zane Hunt plan to open a Houston outpost of their popular Nickel City bar, which currently operates on 11th Street in Austin and recently expanded to Fort Worth. The dive-bar-style hangout offers a menu of reasonably priced bar food like sliders, tots, Coneys and crinkle-cut fries. It’s slated for the mixed-use development at 2910 McKinney St.

Excited to see this development along with ancorians activate this stretch of McKinney 

• Like 3

Wow, crazy. I'm a little conflicted on the Hunt Brothers moving into EaDo, because I love Via313 - great pizza, great concept. And I even met one of them, and he seemed super cool. But then there was this:

Via 313 employees protest for sick pay and safety measures amid Omicron surge – The Daily Texan

Via 313 was apparently sold to a restaurant portfolio in 2020, so I'm not sure how much involvement the brothers still have/had. Hopefully it was all a bad misunderstanding.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 2910 McKinney St.
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, downtownian said:

I think it is bad and not good to have Austin staples open in Houston

I agree, Austin is close enough that a quick road trip should be easy to sample the staples, and then Houston concepts can thrive, we have enough creativity in this town to survive without being inundated with Torchys.

Only caveat I have to this is Thundercloud. they used to have a presence here in Houston, but pulled back. best subs ever, and when the competition is Subway, or Firehouse, or other chains, I'm all about that TC sub.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, samagon said:

Only caveat I have to this is Thundercloud. they used to have a presence here in Houston, but pulled back. best subs ever, and when the competition is Subway, or Firehouse, or other chains, I'm all about that TC sub.

I think the Committee to Prevent Colonization of Houston by Austin can definitely cut Thundercloud some slack. I only remember the Montrose-area store (which, if memory serves, was on W. Alabama just west of Greenbriar), but according to this interesting oral history, there were once five locations in Houston.

• 1 month later...

Is local bakery and cafe Kraftsman opening an outpost at 2910 McKinney?

Last month, a filing with Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations was recorded for Kraftsman. The address listed is 2910 McKinney St, Ste 400. It will be located next to Austin-born bar Nickel City.

The language on the filing is a little confusing. I can't make out if this will be Kraftsman's manufacturing facility / commissary kitchen or a new bakery and cafe location:

"Second generation interior remodel on the first floor of an existing 1-story commercial building located at 2910 McKinney Street, Houston, TX. 77003."

The unit is 17,340 sq ft.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2023000820

• Like 3