Studemont Junction Multifamily

Urbannizer

Forget the light, how tall will they have to build to have a 400 unit multifamily building in the lot to the west?

It should be tall, this area should not be built out with single story buildings. It should not be a sea of single story shopping centers with parking lots. Should be multi leveled buildings with parking garages.

That light is extremely unlikely to approved.  While there isn't a law, there are design requirements which state that new signals should be spaced at least 1/4 mile away from existing signals. 

Both the  walmart light and the Target light are 1/10 a mile from the I-10 lights (according to google maps). 

The Center street light is 300 ft from the Washington light on Yale. 

Perhaps the second one is too old to qualify, but the first ones are pretty new.

It should be tall, this area should not be built out with single story buildings. It should not be a sea of single story shopping centers with parking lots. Should be multi leveled buildings with parking garages.

I agree 100%.  My point is that the foot print for the proposed 400 unit multifamily project looks to be way too small to do the usual Houston wrap 5-6 story apartment complex.  I am not even sure a 20-25 story highrise would be tall enough.  I am just wondering whether someone is really planning to do 400 units?  Or are they planning on acquiring more land?  Or are they really going to do a highrise there? 

Both the  walmart light and the Target light are 1/10 a mile from the I-10 lights (according to google maps). 

The Center street light is 300 ft from the Washington light on Yale. 

Perhaps the second one is too old to qualify, but the first ones are pretty new.

True. Looking closer, this particular design requirement speaks more to mid-block signals.  The Walmart and Target ones are located at existing streets and are therefore ok with the requirements. Since this newly proposed signal is at an existing street Summer St I guess I could see it getting approved also. However if they had built this one on Summer St before the Kroger light, the Kroger light probably wouldn't have been approved because it is mid-block.

I reread the signal design requirements and it uses words like "avoid" and "should" so they probably have a lot of free range to do what they want.

I agree Arne's is in jeopardy because of the increasing value of the land but wouldn't it be a pity to loose the place. Architecturally the building is a cipher but the stuff inside and the way it is piled in there is a hoot. I've bought everything from chew toys for my dog to Cinderella themed plates, napkins, and table decorations for my daughter's 4th birthday party to a 6 quart pressure cooker for my kitchen (for a fraction of the price at a department store, BTW) at Arne's. My wife just got a new dog and bought all kinds of accessories for the pooch there for half what they would have cost at P--co.

Im very fond of that old building. The old wooden floors in the back section are nice. So is the ghost sign on the southern exterior wall. Hope it survives the gentrification intact. 

• 3 months later...

I'm also not optimistic about the Tarkett site, given its feeder road access and its location between Kroger and Target. There's a reason this area was industrial, squeezed in between a freeway and a railroad. When you remove the industry and add a feeder road, you tend to get feeder-road development.

Sold. Story here.

A Houston retail developer has won a bid to purchase 21 acres just west of downtown, giving the buyer a rare opportunity to remake a large parcel of urban land.

Gulf Coast Commercial Group, which builds mostly suburban shopping centers, is expected to close on the property in June. It is still determining plans for the site, just south of Interstate 10 between Sawyer and Studemont streets.

Egan gave few details about the developer's planning process for the property or potential tenants but said multiple options will be considered. That could include a mixed-use project with perhaps retail, residential and office space.

At this point, Gulf Coast is considering developing the entire project itself as opposed to selling off parcels. It may, however, bring in another company with mixed-use expertise to work with on the site.

While much of the company's development is suburban, it is familiar with this close-in area. It had acquired a site along Studemont nearby where Kroger recently built a store. Some of its other recent developments include Kroger-anchored centers in Kingwood, Cypress and Baytown.

This site is sandwiched between the Studemont Kroger and the Sawyer Target. Access to the feeder road is poor, with the main access via Summer St.

If this were developed together with the Kroger site, there would have been an opportunity to run a street grid between Studemont and Olive streets. As an isolated site, it might make sense as mid-rise commercial/office with some limited retail included.

Sold. Story here.

This site is sandwiched between the Studemont Kroger and the Sawyer Target. Access to the feeder road is poor, with the main access via Summer St.

If this were developed together with the Kroger site, there would have been an opportunity to run a street grid between Studemont and Olive streets. As an isolated site, it might make sense as mid-rise commercial/office with some limited retail included.

It's being talked about here:  http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/31776-21-acre-industrial-site-west-of-downtown/

Edited by HoustonMidtown

Was this the same sight where the street was sold to Grocers?  If I remember correctly, at that time I believe they argued they needed it for their business operation.  It seems they probably needed that land connection to make the place more marketable to developers! 

The Heights Mercantile proposal could actually work very nicely in this location, as opposed to 7th/Heights.

Was this the same sight where the street was sold to Grocers?  If I remember correctly, at that time I believe they argued they needed it for their business operation.  It seems they probably needed that land connection to make the place more marketable to developers! 

The Heights Mercantile proposal could actually work very nicely in this location, as opposed to 7th/Heights.

Yes, lets put a walk-able style development in a place where you can barely even get to by car, let alone by foot.  Good plan.

I wouldn't mind if they tore down the Kroger and put a half way decent replacement in.

Edited by jstigall

There is so much wrong with this it is hilarious.  

The only thing I can give you is I would not be surprised by whatever development that does go in there, will most likely have "Heights" in the title somewhere.

"Oaks of Heights River Boulevard Tarkett Vinyl Heights -  A south Heights establishment"

• Like 1

A big mixed use project would work well here.  The property has access to the hike and bike path on the NE corner.  It is an easy walk up to the restaurants and bars on White Oak.  There is already a large apartment complex in the Sawyer Heights development and another is planned for the Studemont Junction project across the street.  So, some residential density could push more redevelopment of the surrounding industrial sites.  The more the area is turned into Katyville, the less interested people will be in doing big projects to redevelop 1st ward. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Washington Heights Mixed-Use Finally Underway

A hotly anticipated mixed-use project in the Washington Heights is finally moving forward.

Demolition has begun on a 280,000-square-foot refrigerated warehouse on 15 acres on Studemont Street south of Interstate 10, which was purchased in late 2013 by Houston-based firms Capcor Partners and Kaplan Management.

Demolition began roughly 30 days ago and should wrap up in around 30 to 45 days, said Josh Aruh, managing partner at Capcor. Houston-based M.G. Excavators Inc. is completing the excavation. Plans call for a mixed-use project, dubbed Studemont Junction, which will be composed of up to 400 upscale apartments, as well as retail such as grocers, restaurants and health care.

Groundbreaking on a 44,000-square-foot Memorial Hermann Health Systemconvenient care center began Feb. 16, Aruh said, and that should be complete before the end of the year.

The developer for Studemont Junction is Edifis Group, a separate company owned by Aruh. Shaw MacIntyre, vice president of Houston-based Streetwise Retail Advisors, which is handling the leasing for Studemont Junction, said the project should be complete around early 2017.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...