Asian Dining

I ate at Zake Japanese Cuisine yesterday and I liked the contemporary/fusion restaurant layout. After reading them on Houston Chinese Restaurants Guide, a really good source for Asian dining in Houston, I decided to venture out and check out this place.

They have both a restaurant section and a lounge section. I have never quite seen anything like it because it has a bit of club feel to it. Zake has DJ spinning dance music every Friday and Saturday night too. Zake is also a good place to meet a lot of young professionals. I like their sushi alot. Definitely A+ in my opinion.

If you ever get the chance to eat at an authentic Japanese restaurant, do so. One where you leave your shoes outside and sit on the floor in little depressions with the table up to your chin. Lots of dark wood, low ceilings, and moody light. I've never come across an authentic Japanese restaurant in America, but I'll keep looking. It's just amazing that so many cultures (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc...) living in such close proximity can have such different cuisines.

If you ever get the chance to eat at an authentic Japanese restaurant, do so. One where you leave your shoes outside and sit on the floor in little depressions with the table up to your chin. Lots of dark wood, low ceilings, and moody light. I've never come across an authentic Japanese restaurant in America, but I'll keep looking. It's just amazing that so many cultures (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc...) living in such close proximity can have such different cuisines.

Oh yeah I know what you mean. The closest Japanese restaurant I have been to with taking the shoes off and sitting on the floor to eat was this place in Austin. I can't remember the name but I do remember the traditional Japanese style dining. Very neat experience.

Oh yeah I know what you mean. The closest Japanese restaurant I have been to with taking the shoes off and sitting on the floor to eat was this place in Austin. I can't remember the name but I do remember the traditional Japanese style dining. Very neat experience.

Miyakos has this at their Kirby and Westheimer locations. Being a chain, I wouldn't say they're the most traditional restaurant. I'm no sushi expert, but from what I read, those that consider themselves conniseurs don't hold Miyakos in high esteem.

Miyakos has this at their Kirby and Westheimer locations. Being a chain, I wouldn't say they're the most traditional restaurant. I'm no sushi expert, but from what I read, those that consider themselves conniseurs don't hold Miyakos in high esteem.

I'll buy that. Miyakos seemed to get a little too expensive and trendoid.

What surprised me about Tokyo is how sushi isn't a big part of most of the restaurant menus. To Americans, it's the quintessential Japanese food, and we have this image of them eating sushi all the time. I guess it's the same way they think of Americans as eating Big Macs at every meal.

I ate at Zake Japanese Cuisine yesterday and I liked the contemporary/fusion restaurant layout. After reading them on Houston Chinese Restaurants Guide, a really good source for Asian dining in Houston, I decided to venture out and check out this place.

They have both a restaurant section and a lounge section. I have never quite seen anything like it because it has a bit of club feel to it. Zake has DJ spinning dance music every Friday and Saturday night too. Zake is also a good place to meet a lot of young professionals. I like their sushi alot. Definitely A+ in my opinion.

I agree - I like their interior - kinda funky club/disco...not your normal sushi place !! And their food is great !!

• 1 month later...

Another good Chinese restaurant in Houston is Noodle House. They have one of the best Taiwanese food in town. I tried their sizzling iron steak with noodles and it was mouth-watering. They are located in the heart of Houston Chinatown on Bellaire Blvd. See my sig for detailed map and directions.

• 11 years later...

Hi just an update in regards to Ramen Tatsu-Ya ...the building, the decor, the service and food are all amazing....wow...was blown away! the 1/2 price continues all day today and tomorrow 11am to 10pm and if you can go in off hours then the wait may be 30 minutes to 45 minutes like mine was at 515pm last night! (when we left at 7pm the wait was 2hrs possibly up to 3!) it will be closed sunday to work on anything they need to adjust etc then open Monday to regular schedule and prices! I suggest you check it out! 

HEY ALL- Breaking News: http://houston.eater.com/2017/2/17/14651036/houston-ramen-tatsu-ya-soft-opening-halted-plumbing posted at 152pm 02/17/17 

Archived