The Oliver Sawyer Yards: Multifamily At 2305 Summer St.

Urbannizer

So I think this will be the eastern half of the large grass field at Sawyer & Summer. The western half looks to be occupied by the office development at 1601 Sawyer, also said to be breaking ground in Q4. There's some good info in the leasing pdf, including a massing diagram showing a ~7 story building in the spot where the residential portion is proposed.

• Like 3

I do wish the planned BRT station were at Sawyer/Taylor or where the MKT trail crosses I-10, rather than at Studemont, but the planned location will still be pretty useful. There a couple of BOOST lines planned in the are as well.

Finally connecting Summer through is big. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Texasota said:

I do wish the planned BRT station were at Sawyer/Taylor or where the MKT trail crosses I-10, rather than at Studemont, but the planned location will still be pretty useful. There a couple of BOOST lines planned in the are as well.

Finally connecting Summer through is big. 

Lower Heights District made Summer Street much improved. It only needs a little more to connect. Is there a plan to do so?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Something seems afoot at this site.........from the Houston Chronicle website

The Drive-In at Sawyer Yards opened in May with a screening of "Grease." Movies are screened on the old Success Rice grain silos twice a night, seven days a week. Houston was the first U.S. city to get a Rooftop Cinema Club drive-in. The location was originally set to close earlier because of planned construction on the site. But a delay allowed them to stay open through November.

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/movies-tv/drive-in-at-sawyer-yards-to-close-but-a-new-15704335

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Sawyer Silos by Greystar at 2305 Summer St.
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 9:11 AM, LBC2HTX said:

This area needs significant infrastructure improvements. I’m aware of Sawyer being redone but that’s not enough to accommodate the explosion of multi family development. 

all of this development points to the powers that be already believing the proposed railroad-combining is going to happen and that winter street's ROW will be rebuilt as a main-street-corridor for the area.  that's the only way it all makes sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crock said:

all of this development points to the powers that be already believing the proposed railroad-combining is going to happen and that winter street's ROW will be rebuilt as a main-street-corridor for the area.  that's the only way it all makes sense. 

I’ve seen/heard this referenced in several places, but can’t find the info for the life of me! Do you know where to find it??

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 2:23 PM, Andres said:

I’ve seen/heard this referenced in several places, but can’t find the info for the life of me! Do you know where to find it??

Here are some photos I took of the presentation board for the railroad realignment at the City of Houston meeting in September 2018. These maps don't suggest any improvement to Winter street, but that was more than two years ago. (I could not embed the image because the links are not https) This should be available somewhere on the CoH web site, possibly more up-to-date.

http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/AARoads/20180904-0013-2000.jpg

http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/AARoads/20180904-0012-2560.jpg

Edited by MaxConcrete
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Sawyer Silos By Greystar At 2305 Summer St.
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, hindesky said:

Apparently silos are going to be part of the build. They may go underground though. Anyone know what these are? I counted 4 of them, some have bottoms and some don't. They are loading out dirt on dump trucks.

I would imagine they are going to need quite a few more than that for a site of this size. Here's a video about installation of a CMP detention system.

Edited by phillip_white
oops... forgot to add link
  • Like 6

On 3/4/2021 at 9:18 AM, phillip_white said:

I would imagine they are going to need quite a few more than that for a site of this size. Here's a video about installation of a CMP detention system.

I stopped by BuffBrew this weekend and there are more corrugated tubes on site as well as a major trenching effort underway. Really impressed that they are putting this much effort into stormwater mitigation, but I would guess there are financial incentives motivating the decision.

• Like 2

I heard recently that either CoH or Harris County (or both) plan review departments now require drainage on site for any plans submitted after March or April 1st. Now obviously these plans must've been submitted before but maybe they had to work out some deal. I expect a lot of onsite drainage retention for projects in the future.

• Like 4

Put enough of this down and eventually we have more flood protection. I have so many questions though. I wonder how much water sits in them at any given moment. Seems like a mosquito breeding habitat. And you know they will get silted up—wonder how they can be flushed out if clogged. 

• Like 3