Urban Lofts At 2412-2416 Commerce St.

I noticed some construction activity here and wasn’t sure what would be going in, as it is an oddly shaped parcel framed by railroad ROW. I thought it’d be a pretty sweet spot for a dog park. But alas, it looks like there are three townhomes being shoehorned in here. Addresses on HCAD are 2412, 2414, and 2416 Commerce St.

5745C7AA-714C-40EE-915D-12C5A768785E.jpeg

There's definitely enough land for 3 townhouses, but I wonder how they'll site them. Does it look like a central driveway with two houses on the north side and one on the south?

Definitely an awkward lot. I'd rather see a little coffee shop or something here. Maybe with a 2nd floor apartment. Though parking requirements would be an issue (wrong side of the tracks!)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I actually really like it. I think they did a good job of making the floorplan work, and I like that it makes for a smaller house. Not *everyone* needs more than two bedrooms. I also kind of prefer the arrangement of the open plan living room/dining room/kitchen area,

I might reallocate the space used by the closets and bathrooms on the second floor to make the second bedroom a bit cleaner of a shape, but overall I dig that floorplan.

Now, I will also say that I strongly believe it should be legal to convert that garage to an ADU as you have children or aging parents move in, but that's a separate discussion.

11 hours ago, Texasota said:

Now, I will also say that I strongly believe it should be legal to convert that garage to an ADU

As a gearhead, I strongly believe that converting a garage into an ADU should be illegal and punishable by having the offender be drawn and quartered.

And don’t even get me started on people that have their garage so full of  random crap that they can’t even fit one car in it. . .

• The title was changed to Urban Lofts At 2412-2416 Commerce St.

Archived