Office With Retail At 1600 Sawyer St.

Urbannizer

• 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, crock said:

i cant imagine how cutthroat it's going to be to try to get companies to come here instead of the MKT or Montrose Collective.   

Personally, I prefer here if I am more a traditional business. If I am a small scale office (real estate, ect) I might prefer MKT. It is all about scale. This is the at the foot of downtown.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 1601 Sawyer Yards: 8-Story Office With Retail
  • 8 months later...

This office space looks really good! The location was picked very well too. However, it must be a tough time to build an office space. The virus hasn’t gone anywhere yet and the pandemic restrictions are just to become stricter again. I am not sure how profitable this project really is. I think in the modern climate coworking spaces are thriving way more than office spaces. Some companies have their own policies concerning physical presence at the workplace during a pandemic. Sometimes it’s not the restrictions enforced by the government but by the companies themselves that prevent workers from working in the office. But working from home has a ton of downsides too. So a lot of people choose to work in coworking spaces in order to get the best out of this situation. I myself also work from a coworking space.

• The title was changed to 8-Story Office With Retail At 1601 Sawyer St.
  • 11 months later...
  • The title was changed to Office With Retail At 1600 Sawyer St.
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2023 at 10:22 PM, urbanize713 said:

Any more movement on this rail line going away?

Christof Spieler presented this in 2020. Basically, they would consolidate the two rail lines into one right of way and have it pass over where the Fire Department and Arson Division is currently housed. But last time I attended a meeting about that, there was a lot of push back from the First Ward so have no clue if it will ever go forward. First Ward is more concerned about the horns than where the tracks actually lie, oddly enough.

image.png

https://www.letstalkhouston.org/nhhip

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Triton said:

Christof Spieler presented this in 2020. Basically, they would consolidate the two rail lines into one right of way and have it pass over where the Fire Department and Arson Division is currently housed. But last time I attended a meeting about that, there was a lot of push back from the First Ward so have no clue if it will ever go forward. First Ward is more concerned about the horns than where the tracks actually lie, oddly enough.

image.png

https://www.letstalkhouston.org/nhhip

And here's a direct link from the city: https://www.houstontx.gov/planning/nhhip/docs_pdfs/Connections/33 Rail Relocation.pdf

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

Don’t we have massive office vacancy rates in Houston right now? 

Yes, but also no. I can't find the article that differentiated the new and older spaces so here's one that's close. In any case, new space was almost completely leased out (as @Fortune mentioned) while the older building are sitting vacant and becoming more so as these new projects open.

"Houston and Dallas had 18.8% and 17.2% of office space sitting empty at the end of 2022... well above the national average of 12.5%. New York, San Jose, San Francisco, and Chicago had vacancy rates of 12.3%, 12%, 16.4%, and 15.1%, respectively...

Houston and Dallas have long lived with double-digit vacancy rates as the result of several booms and busts over the decades as the local oil and gas industry seesawed.

Vacancies began surging last decade when a plunge in oil prices roiled local employers in 2014, 2015, and 2016. The pandemic applied more pressure when companies emptied out their buildings and sent their people home...

Their biggest challenge is selling tenants on the older space put up during previous booms decades ago. Newer buildings that were built five years ago or less have single-digit vacancy, according to Aguirre, while older space from the 1980s is a much harder sell."
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/houston-dallas-lead-the-country-in-office-attendance--and-empty-office-space-125019682.html

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Triton said:

there was a lot of push back from the First Ward

As a resident of the First Ward and a member of the First Ward Civic Council,  I'm surprised to see this.  I personally support the proposed rail consolidation plan 100%, and I haven't seen any effort to oppose it in any of our council meetings.  The more density and investment that we see in the area, the more it makes sense to me to eliminate the rail on Winter St and convert it into another rails-to-trails hike and bike path.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TrainTrak said:

As a resident of the First Ward and a member of the First Ward Civic Council,  I'm surprised to see this.  I personally support the proposed rail consolidation plan 100%, and I haven't seen any effort to oppose it in any of our council meetings.  The more density and investment that we see in the area, the more it makes sense to me to eliminate the rail on Winter St and convert it into another rails-to-trails hike and bike path.

I am a resident of 6th Ward and I think combining rail lines into the center street line and removing winter street line would be absolutely the best thing for the area. Winter Street could be a very nice Street / trail combo like Nicholson is in Greater Heights.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Avossos said:

I am a resident of 6th Ward and I think combining rail lines into the center street line and removing winter street line would be absolutely the best thing for the area. Winter Street could be a very nice Street / trail combo like Nicholson is in Greater Heights.

100% agree with this. This area needs improved connectivity and a road/trail combo would go a long way to solving this issue. 

Considering they are still planning to spend all the money to build a railroad bridge over the North Canal, it seems the proposal of consolidating the rail lines is dead.  I don't understand why it would see much opposition, because it would be almost universally better to reroute it, so maybe it was a funding issue?  Or maybe, because it would involve realigning the "Be Someone" bridge, the delay of the IH-45 rebuild made it no longer feasible to do this all at once?

Edited by rechlin

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Urbannizer said:

More on 1600 Sawyer from ESG Architecture's website:

• This mixed-use boutique office building will be located in the emerging Sawyer Yards district of Houston, Texas.  Constructed of cross-laminated timber, this sustainable modern industrial design acts as a bridge between the historic character of the neighborhood and the emerging tech-focused demographic of the working population.  The street level will include retail space, and each unique multi-tenant floor plate above shares a central amenity space as well as spacious outdoor terraces.

• 6 stories; 200,00 RSF

On 6/11/2023 at 10:12 AM, Urbannizer said:

2 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Additional renderings of 1600 Sawyer from ESG Architecture's website. These are also included in the marketing brochure linked last year.

The renderings are by UCharm.

vFEn8Cv.jpeg

mUjBZuy.jpeg

cnFrtcX.jpeg

4SgWci3.jpeg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 4

On 6/11/2023 at 10:12 AM, Urbannizer said:

Additional details about 1600 Sawyer from the brochure are below.

1600 Sawyer is a mixed-use office boutique building featuring a mass timber design. The development is from Trammell Crow Company. ESG Architecture is the architect of record.

• 17, 500 sf of ground floor retail

• 187, 546 sf of office space

• 24,000 sf of activated terraces

• 5,550 sf of rooftop retail space

• 3/1000 parking ratio

• Slated delivery: Q4 2025

jKrTNPs.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Parking and rentable square footage details for 1600 Sawyer: 

• Underground - 175 parking stalls