Marco or Laura - Be Prepared

hindesky

• The title was changed to Marco - Be Prepared
33 minutes ago, JLWM8609 said:

TD 14 has formed into Marco, so a thread name change is in order. TD 13 formed into Laura before TD 14 could strengthen. 

Yeah I jumped the gun but only because I was watching the weather channel and they said 14 would be named Laura.:wacko:

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

Yeah I jumped the gun but only because I was watching the weather channel and they said 14 would be named Laura.:wacko:

I wish the weather channel was useful like they once were (long ago).  My wife was looking for info on the storms heading our way last night and they were just playing endless documentaries.  I told her to check the local tv websites instead.

25 minutes ago, august948 said:

And to think I told my wife Harvey was as bad as it could possibly get...

2cones-21aug20-5p.jpg

Good news is that at least from a rainfall perspective, Houston (or nowhere else in the US for that matter) will ever see a rainfall event like Harvey for a long, long time.  According to NOAA, the 5-day rainfall totals associated with Harvey was a once in 25,000 year to once in 500,000 year event (a 0.004% to 0.0002% chance of occurring in a given year).  Even a double whammy from Laura and Marco would not come anywhere near Harvey's rains.  But it certainly is unusual to see two storms in the Gulf at once (if it indeed happens).

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/event-tracker/reviewing-hurricane-harveys-catastrophic-rain-and-flooding

On 8/21/2020 at 3:01 PM, august948 said:

I wish the weather channel was useful like they once were (long ago).  My wife was looking for info on the storms heading our way last night and they were just playing endless documentaries.  I told her to check the local tv websites instead.

I use ABC13's site, but when it comes to a tropical storm or hurricane (or, really, any significant weather event), my first stop is always Space City Weather. Unlike the local TV stations, they aren't beholden to ratings and the need to sell ads.

Space City Weather

5 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I use ABC13's site, but when it comes to a tropical storm or hurricane (or, really, any significant weather event), my first stop is always Space City Weather. Unlike the local TV stations, they aren't beholden to ratings and the need to sell ads.

Space City Weather

Thanks....I took a look and like what i see.  Going in my bookmarks.

• The title was changed to Marco or Laura - Be Prepared

Laura is going to be close, but hopefully if it does hit, we get the clean side rather than the messy side. Marco to me could also be a potential issue, I know it's supposed to decrease in intensity after hitting Louisiana, but I'm concerned that it might gain some more strength riding the coast as it heads towards us. 

Archived