Hike And Bike Bridge Over White Oak Bayou Is Burning

s3mh

That area has always been the no-man's-land (or Berlin Wall, if you prefer) of Houston. The only accommodations for crossing the bayou are either distant or strictly reserved for auto traffic (as in the case of the Studemont bridge -see photo). Biking a mile or two out of your way may not be a major inconvenience but for pedestrians, it's a killer.
All I can say is this is what happens when a city is built on the cheap. It eventually comes back to bite us in the butt.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7781025,-95.3873417,3a,75y,359.44h,95.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLHEtm_RnVkm5GFkYEK6Wsg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Edited by dbigtex56
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TrainTrak said:

I called the parks board and asked for an update on when this bridge will be opening back up.  I was shocked to learn that it has sustained major structural damage and will need to be replaced.  On top of that, there's no funding for a new bridge, so it's not opening back up for a long, long time.  If you're wondering what you can do about this, contact your councilperson and ask for discretionary funds to be diverted to this project.

This makes me sick. That bridge was such an important connector.

• Like 3

Bugging CMs and maybe even Shelia Jackson Lee's office.  I know many are triggered by the mention of SJL.  But if there are federal funds available in a new stimulus bill, SJL is pretty good at bringing home the bacon.  If this goes through the usual capital improvement process, it could be a decade before it gets replaced.  

• Like 3

Rodney Ellis is an avid cyclist and supporter of the local bike trails. Contact his office too even though it's not in his precinct. Maybe he can influence Judge Hidalgo to send some funds toward bridge replacement. Also, if HCFCD is doing any work on that channel, it may have been due for replacement in the future.

• Like 2

CoH has some COVID relief funds that they have to spend by the end of the year. I wonder if they can use some to provide for this social-distancing approved method of transportation?

2 hours ago, TrainTrak said:

I called the parks board and asked for an update on when this bridge will be opening back up.  I was shocked to learn that it has sustained major structural damage and will need to be replaced.  On top of that, there's no funding for a new bridge, so it's not opening back up for a long, long time.  If you're wondering what you can do about this, contact your councilperson and ask for discretionary funds to be diverted to this project.

This is what I got from them 6 days ago when I asked:

our structural engineer completed their assessment and submitted a report to us and HPARD. We are now jointly reviewing it with HPARD and are considering the next steps for potential repairs. Once we have an agreement with HPARD on next steps, we will send out a public email notification 

So pretty much in line with what you heard. Sigh :(

• Sad 5

• 1 month later...

Looks like the bridge can be repaired and replacement is not necessary.  Repairs should take 45-60 days once the parks board has permitting approval from the City, corps of engineers and HCFCD.  So, the bridge will probably re-open sometime in early 2032 (kidding).  Seriously, that seems like really good news.  

https://theleadernews.com/community/houston-parks-board-assesses-damage-to-pedestrian-bridge-seeks-approval-for-repairs/

• Like 7

2 hours ago, s3mh said:

Looks like the bridge can be repaired and replacement is not necessary.  Repairs should take 45-60 days once the parks board has permitting approval from the City, corps of engineers and HCFCD.  So, the bridge will probably re-open sometime in early 2032 (kidding).  Seriously, that seems like really good news.  

https://theleadernews.com/community/houston-parks-board-assesses-damage-to-pedestrian-bridge-seeks-approval-for-repairs/

Great Christmas present! Seriously, this bridge is so critical to a lot of my biking.

• Like 2

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/Burned-bike-bridge-across-White-Oak-Bayou-to-15819274.php

Burned bike bridge across White Oak Bayou to undergo repairs, remain closed a few more months

Photo of Dug Begley
Dug Begley Dec. 21, 2020
Bike riders who pedal through the Heights will need to keep burning calories past a key connection closed by fire in the region’s growing trail system.Just in time for winter, however, parks officials at least have a plan to reopen the MKT bridge in place, news welcomed by local cyclists eager to cross easily over White Oak Bayou again.
640x0.jpg

“It’s just a killer to lose that bridge,” said Craig Arthur, 29, who bikes recreationally at least four days a week, often along the Heights Hike and Bike Trail. “I know a lot of people are wondering when it will reopen.”

The closest answer officials could give now is, probably in the spring. A glimmer of hope but also a long wait as cycling interest in the area grows.

As soon as Houston public works and engineering officials clear construction permits and verify the repair work, crews can repair abutments and slopes on the sides of the bridge, said Beth White, president and CEO of Houston Parks Board. Repairs would take between 45 and 60 days and cost about $100,000, paid for by the nonprofit parks board, which oversees the $220 million Bayou Greenways program.

The MKT bridge closed Aug. 19, when Houston firefighters responded to a call about a brush fire affecting the bridge. Crews arrived to find a small wooded area ablaze and charring the wooden beams of the bridge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This got a brief aside mention in the Bicycle Advisory Committee Infrastructure subcommittee meeting yesterday. 

Basically, probably not going to be open until the end of the year at the earliest. The new connector next to it has slid a month to January completion and it might be done before this reopens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/25/2020 at 11:32 PM, cspwal said:

Also, I'm not sure where to put it, but it looks like there is a new trail head being built.

f0ETsAM.jpg

Not the most relevant comment, but seeing again that construction costs for the Bayou Greenway Park were about $2 million.........right after I read about the new 59S/610N interchange going for $250+ million.  I know these are entirely different budgets/jurisdictions, but it's wild to think what would be possible if Bayou Greenways had an extra $250 million to spend on construction.  I'd be willing to bet it would have a greater economic impact on the city than a new freeway interchange.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/06-01-21-610-loop-ramp-closing-us-59-southwest-freeway-june-3-june-9-txdot/

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wilcal said:

Just got an email that everything is clear and construction will start at any time. Estimated repairs will take 60-90 days. 

Here's the full email for anyone that's curious.  90 days out of June 4 is September 2nd.  I'm taking the over on that but will be great to have that bridge opened up again.

Houston Parks Board has great news to share. As you know, the MKT hike-and-bike bridge has been closed due to damages sustained by a fire in August 2020.

Since then, at the request of the City, we have been working diligently on shepherding the repair plans through the permitting process.

We are pleased to share those plans have been approved, and repair activities on the site could start as early as this Friday, June 4.

Repairs include the replacement of damaged bridge piles, the abutment backwall, and deck expansion joint. The estimated time frame is 60-90 days, weather permitting.

Houston Parks Board appreciates the patience of surrounding community members and those who have been utilizing the detour for several months. The detour will remain in place during construction.

We understand the MKT bridge is an important connection for the Heights Hike and Bike Trail and White Oak Bayou Greenway, and we look forward to seeing you back out there soon!

Please let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to share this information with others in your community.

Thank you,

Lisa Kasianowitz
Outreach Manager
Houston Parks Board

300 North Post Oak Lane
Houston, TX 77024

lisa@houstonparksboard.org
T 713.942.8500 x14

• Like 3

18 hours ago, talltexan83 said:

Not the most relevant comment, but seeing again that construction costs for the Bayou Greenway Park were about $2 million.........right after I read about the new 59S/610N interchange going for $250+ million.  I know these are entirely different budgets/jurisdictions, but it's wild to think what would be possible if Bayou Greenways had an extra $250 million to spend on construction.  I'd be willing to bet it would have a greater economic impact on the city than a new freeway interchange.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/06-01-21-610-loop-ramp-closing-us-59-southwest-freeway-june-3-june-9-txdot/

The Bayou Greenways 2020 project as a whole had a $220 million budget.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cynthialescalleet/2019/05/30/bayou-greenways-2020-linking-parks-adding-trails-transforming-underused-land-by-houston-waterways/?sh=6196ae175e78

• Thanks 3

• The title was changed to Hike And Bike Bridge Is Burning
  • 1 month later...

i guess they figured if they're going to keep this bridge closed for an entire year, they should probably get a photo with some industrial equipment to make it look like they actually did something out here.  i still can't believe it's taken an entire year for them to reopen this bridge--especially since this year was when so many houstonians relied on the parks and trails in this city for recreation.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, skooljunkie said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/M-K-T-Bridge-reopening-now-uncertain-as-repairs-16451735.php

Summary: Workers found more damage. More work will need to be done. Additional design work and permitting to follow. Finish date is uncertain.

Classic.

Took them a year to inspect this properly?  Clearly not a priority for the city or the parks board. I used to ride this frequently and it was one of the most popular trails in Houston. They have a detour but a family with little kids aren't going to take a detour on Heights Blvd and under IH10. I doubt they open this back up in at least a year.

• Like 3

This is soooo City of Houston.  Inspector No. 1:  "Everything looks good.  You just need to do A, B and C."  A, B, and C completed.  Inspector No. 2:  "D, E, and F don't meet code.  You need to fix that and pull all new permits."  

And on top of that permitting at CoH is grinding to a halt due to COVID.  I know people trying to finish a huge project that is very time sensitive who had to send new plans back to engineering and were told that the reviewer had 600+ plans on his desk and could not even guess at an ETA on approval.  I wouldn't be surprised if the connector is completed long before the bridge.  

i wonder how much time was squandered by waiting to assess the damage in the first place.  probably a full year.  i also wonder if they considered re-opening the bridge but still continuing to work on it.  they installed the metal support pillar in the middle of the bridge while the bridge was still in use.  i realize there's a higher risk to re-opening now, but how much more dangerous would this bridge be then every other pedestrian bridge spanning a bayou in the city?  i guess no one would be willing to put their neck on the line.  which is fine i guess.  but the lack of accountability frustrates me to no end.

here's my forecast for when this is open again: winter 2022 (but in this case 12/31/2022).  not to be confused with winter 2022 (1Q2022) when the connector should be done.

I sent out some emails and was told that the houston parks board is the one that owns this bridge. here's there email if yall want to send also send them your thoughts

info@houstonparksboard.org 

also the lady I was talking to said that sending in a 311 request is the best way to make noise about it. Not sure if doing all this bitching will change anything in how much they prioritize this project but a man can hope.  

Edited by pokemonizepic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1