HAIF - Houston's original social media

Is Montrose management District up and running?

This group made a presentation at Montrose TIRZ Zoom  last night. The Vice chair is Steve Madden but I didn’t catch the Chairman's name.

I’ve posted plenty on MMD in the past and considered my self a non business owner supporter. As an aside.....I never thought the MMD should be completely made up of business owners- there is a lot to be said for opinions and prospective of  non business owners- not the least of which is helping prevent tunnel vision.

Now I’m more than a little skeptical at the new lineup ( all appointed without any public input as far as I know) with their new goals.

A lack of transparency is always a red flag for me.......and I fear those red flags are everywhere.

• Like 1

Are there rules for how a TIRZ must be set up, and if so, who sets those rules? City, county, state?
Is the board appointed, or are they elected? And if so, by whom?
Is there a difference between the Montrose TIRZ and the Montrose Management District?

Are they the ones who commissioned a study on the walkability of Montrose + an action plan to fix the parts in disrepair?

Well, it seems like the article has been written about this and it contains some interesting soundbites: 

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/development/2020/08/18/after-legal-resolution-montrose-management-district-takes-steps-toward-comeback/

Oh? It sounds like they may be able to help with those questions in the other thread about the Montrose pedestrian study and implementation of the study and the suggested bike/walking improvements. "Madden’s letter stated that upon reinstatement, the district will better leverage the economic growth in the neighborhood from upcoming developments that are outpacing city-led improvements to the area’s infrastructure hampered by Houston’s budgetary constraints."

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, HouTXRanger said:

Are there rules for how a TIRZ must be set up, and if so, who sets those rules? City, county, state?
Is the board appointed, or are they elected? And if so, by whom?
Is there a difference between the Montrose TIRZ and the Montrose Management District?

Are they the ones who commissioned a study on the walkability of Montrose + an action plan to fix the parts in disrepair?

I am no means an expert.....just one of the residents that contributed to getting the East Montrose management district established. But I did show up at every meeting for a year or two.

Montrose Management District doesn’t have as much over sight as Montrose TIRZ. The State enacted laws to set up TiRZs and COH has oversight. 

MMD gets an “Assessment” of $100 per appraisal value of $100,000.00of businesses within the management district.  TIRZ receives the portion of tax “over” the cap.

At the beginning, Montrose TIRHz and MMD worked together on projects,,  That walkability study for instance.

,,,,but after the “Big No-No that got them into trouble MMD was dissolved. NowI guess MMD wants back in.

I suppose that is a good idea, but I would rethink using the same ole road map as last time- a new road map is needed, Everything and Everybody should be new IMO.

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Even with all the hubbub of Hurricane Laura.... there is quite a bit of back and forth conversation about the resurrection of the MMD. Not surprisingly NONE of it is positive.

Lots of questions on why the appointments to the board seemingly were done in secret. [ wasn’t  non transparency what got them in trouble before?]. Speaking of trouble.......the same team that “administered” MMD into trouble will be the administrators again. Also as an aside.......just how many of the MMD board members actually live within Montrose.....business ownership  aside...I mean how many deal with day to day life within Montrose? Big resentments when “outsiders” tell you they know what is best for the area you reside in and they don’t 

Lastly, Councilwoman Kamin  was asked to name the chairman of MMD and deflected the question twice. Maybe  MMD wasn’t on Councilwoman Kamins  radar when all All the &#$% was flying around and sticking on them—— She should really put a laser focus on MMD now.

Sigh......so having a good guy as Vice Chairman is a nice start but remaking MMD into A clone of what is was with the Doo-doo  smell still lingering.....not so nice.

• Like 2