Montrose TIRZ

trymahjong

I got this in an email from the Museum District business Alliance---

The newly formed Montrose Management District needs your input on how it should be marketing our area. To provide your input, we request that you go to www.montroselogo.com and complete the survey on this website.

FYI---

The East Montrose Management district ( HCID#6 roughly covering Dallas to Bagby to I59 to Montrose blvd) was combined with West Montrose Management (boundary goes Shepherd, Dallas, Montrose blvd to I59 with a small portion of Museum district Montrose Blvd, Bissonnet, Graustark) montrosedistrict.org/

• Like 1

on the subject, I could see a management district help market towards bringing in business that isn't already in Houston, so isn't aware of what Montrose is, less than doing marketing for people who would enjoy the area.

No, that won't fix the relatively large homeless and indigent population. It's also not an achievable goal.

not to stray too far from the topic at hand, but what's the difference?

• Like 1

I got this in an email from the Museum District business Alliance---

The newly formed Montrose Management District needs your input on how it should be marketing our area. To provide your input, we request that you go to www.montroselogo.com and complete the survey on this website.

That is one weird survey.

Montrose doesn't need marketing. Everybody knows where it is and what it is. Montrose needs less violent crime, particularly rape.

In other words, get rid of the slum lords and the shabby rental properties.

No, that won't fix the relatively large homeless and indigent population. It's also not an achievable goal.

The indigents live in the slum apartments/houses and pay rent, the homeless live in the abandoned homes and don't pay rent.

And yes I do believe it should be a goal. Achievable? That would depend on how active the organization is.

Wow.

I've lived in the Montrose for thirty years. I'm appalled at the ignorance and arrogance of the above statements.

• Like 1

Wow.

I've lived in the Montrose for thirty years. I'm appalled at the ignorance and arrogance of the above statements.

I'm appalled you can't see what's going on in your own neighborhood. I admit I'm generalizing and all of Montrose does not have these problems but enough of it does that it needs to be addressed.

I'm appalled you can't see what's going on in your own neighborhood. I admit I'm generalizing and all of Montrose does not have these problems but enough of it does that it needs to be addressed.

You're referring to the rampant gentrification?

• Like 1

I like the idea of a logo for the Montrose management district-- I think Upper Kirby district did well with their UK idea and the funny phone booths--- I'm not sure what the logo is for Galleria but it's easy to distinguish the modern chrome traffic signals and bus stops etc

The logo possibilities for Montrose seem endless, but with the survey being so . . . . . atypical . . . . I wonder what type of suggestions they will receive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An officer of the Management District spoke at the Winlow Place meeting last night. Two off duty HPD officers are now patrolling the area (separately) east of Montrose and a third will be added west of Montrose in the near future. A list of arrests and citations resulting from the increased security was read out. Shockingly, none were for violent crime or rape.

Let's not let one deliberately inflammatory post take this thread off topic.

Edited by sidegate
  • Like 1

An officer of the Management District spoke at the Winlow Place meeting last night. Two off duty HPD officers are now patrolling the area (separately) east of Montrose and a third will be added west of Montrose in the near future. A list of arrests and citations resulting from the increased security was read out. Shockingly, none were for violent crime or rape.

Let's not let one deliberately inflammatory post take this thread off topic.

If anyone is interested HPD gives monthly crime stats at the PIP (local divisions-- central one and two covers most of Montrose and Heights meets 4th Wednesdays 7pm 1600 State Street) the stats are discussed and further information is made available such as where the actual crime occured as opposed to where the culprits were arrested and how that affects what division the crime is posted in etc

Back to the branding question----I think a contest of sorts has been offered/started at STU---so perhaps a young persons view of how to brand Montrose will be available

• Like 1

I like the idea of a logo for the Montrose management district-- I think Upper Kirby district did well with their UK idea and the funny phone booths--- I'm not sure what the logo is for Galleria but it's easy to distinguish the modern chrome traffic signals and bus stops etc

The logo possibilities for Montrose seem endless, but with the survey being so . . . . . atypical . . . . I wonder what type of suggestions they will receive.

I'd like to think they could do better than tired British kitsch.

FYI, the District is one of the sponsors of the Montrose Crawl. The Crawl generated about $63K in additional revenue for Montrose businesses, plus a nearly $5K donation for the Houston Area Women's Center. And a whole bunch of people got sh!tfaced and it was way awesome. Can your management district manage that?

Monthly pub crawls. Sign me up!

• 5 months later...

http://www.chron.com/default/article/Montrose-district-under-fire-over-taxes-2219517.php

Montrose business owners asked members of a management district on Friday to cease operating while attorneys review a petition seeking to dissolve the taxing entity.

A group of business owners, which calls itself Stop the District!, wants to dissolve the Montrose Management District, saying the entity did not notify them about the tax it would impose on their commercial property.

The petition was delivered to the management district on Sept. 29. By law, owners of 75 percent of the district's assessed property value must sign for dissolution to occur.

Edited by editor
Copyright
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Heard Bill Calderon speak at Neartown meeting tonite. The MMD has arranged for Christmas decorations to be placed in the median across from Niko-Nikos.

Also MMD has taken steps to get the 7 bridges over I59/SW freeway relighted! ---at least getting the lightening on the bridges renewed, anyway. New technology will allow state of the art colors, patterns, etcetcetc ---------probably will take 2 years.

• Like 1

The MMD also talked about their intention to place "signage" at a dozen or so of the 36 entrances (street thoroughfares) that lead into the district. When signage was mentioned the "M" statue at Elgin and Bagby was discussed----------not much love for that statue in that room :{

When signage was mentioned the "M" statue at Elgin and Bagby was discussed----------not much love for that statue in that room :{

I've never cared for the color of it. Being the "intersection" of the three districts, one would think the color scheme would be more elaborate and colorful than some pinkish, maroonish, white. I thought midtown, montrose and museum district are supposed to be eclectic, original, and vibrant with youth. The sign conveys none of this. It conveys boredom and random in my opinion.

Edited by fatesdisastr

I thought midtown, montrose and museum district are supposed to be eclectic, original, and vibrant with youth. The sign conveys none of this. It conveys boredom and random in my opinion.

The discussion at the meeting shared these views, till it was brought up that the architect was still living and perhaps a small bit of respect should be considered. Okay-- I can understand that. What's harder to understand is the incorrect information on the plaque. Midtown and Montrose might "meet" there but it's a bit of a stretch to include the Museum district.

Maybe the elephant in the room during that discussion of the "fabulous signage" (a sign will be erected there) to make the public aware (branding) of Who the Montrose Management District is . . . .

The M sign seems to send a message of its own.

• 1 year later...

notes from Neartown meeting on the new proposed Montrose Parking District.

. Montrose Management District, Parking Management Proposal Update—
The Montrose Management District (MMD) has submitted an application for the Montrose District
Special Parking Area under a new city ordinance that permits areas to be designated as special parking
districts. The application has gone through two rounds of reviews and revisions with the City Planning
Department and is expected that the final application will be sent to the City by mid next week (last
week of July).
The goal of having the parking district designation is to help maintain the character of the Montrose
while also promoting economic growth. The designation will allow the Management District to make the
on-site parking requirements for businesses more flexible using standards established by MMD. There
may also be an opportunity to capture a tax increment that would permit MMD to invest in centralized
parking to serve the district (e.g., adding extra spaces to a garage planned by a private developer). The
details of these provisions are still being worked out.
The MMD parking district proposal will probably go to City Planning Commission in the next month and
then to City Council for approval in October. Attached is map of the Montrose District Special Parking
Area.

Montrose Area Special Parking Area Map single.pdf