Galveston Bay Park

samagon

It looks kind of like a bigger Texas City dike, IMO. Same concept, I guess. I know they do stuff like this in The Netherlands.

I love it. Not only is first and foremost essential infrastructure, but also we another beach in addition to Galveston and the dike, too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 1:17 PM, zaphod said:

It looks kind of like a bigger Texas City dike, IMO. Same concept, I guess. I know they do stuff like this in The Netherlands.

I love it. Not only is first and foremost essential infrastructure, but also we another beach in addition to Galveston and the dike, too.

If they're going to build a beach, I vote they import the sugar-white sand from west florida.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Galveston Bay Park
  • 1 month later...

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bay-area/city-county/2023/01/18/houston-city-council-moves-forward-with-galveston-bay-park-plan/

"At a Jan. 18 meeting, members of the Houston City Council passed an agreement between the city of Houston and Rice University’s Severe Storm Prediction, Education and Evacuation from Disaster Center—known as the SSPEED Center—for the planning of Galveston Bay Park.

The Galveston Bay Park Plan entails the design of a set of barrier islands for storm surge protection and for the study and preservation of the area’s oyster habitat.

The GBPP is the companion project to the “infamous” Ike Dike, Mayor Pro Tem Dave Martin said at the meeting. The Ike Dike is part of a larger coastal spine project."

237115.jpeg&w=900&q=95&f=jpg

• Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 11:23 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bay-area/city-county/2023/01/18/houston-city-council-moves-forward-with-galveston-bay-park-plan/

"At a Jan. 18 meeting, members of the Houston City Council passed an agreement between the city of Houston and Rice University’s Severe Storm Prediction, Education and Evacuation from Disaster Center—known as the SSPEED Center—for the planning of Galveston Bay Park.

The Galveston Bay Park Plan entails the design of a set of barrier islands for storm surge protection and for the study and preservation of the area’s oyster habitat.

The GBPP is the companion project to the “infamous” Ike Dike, Mayor Pro Tem Dave Martin said at the meeting. The Ike Dike is part of a larger coastal spine project."

237115.jpeg&w=900&q=95&f=jpg

This project has such promise, really hope it comes to fruition. The new parkland on the islands alone would be worth it for me.