Heights Transportation Projects

hindesky

Kind of off topic, but the project about Memorial Heights reminded me. Does anyone know why they took down the traffic signal in front of the Kroger. I feel like they just put it up and then it was taken down? It was the light closest to the store front, not the one near the McDonalds. 

As a bicyclist, the Yale and Center intersection improvements are huge for me. I have almost been killed at this intersection twice by people confusing the green light at Washington as their green light for Center St while driving along Yale. So yes, please please improve. It's incredibly dangerous and I see people running super late reds all the time.

2 hours ago, Triton said:

As a bicyclist, the Yale and Center intersection improvements are huge for me. I have almost been killed at this intersection twice by people confusing the green light at Washington as their green light for Center St while driving along Yale. So yes, please please improve. It's incredibly dangerous and I see people running super late reds all the time.

Ten years ago that intersection didn't even have stop lines painted on the road, much less crosswalks. For as a significant a street as Yale is, I wonder why it got passed over for improvements over the years.

12 hours ago, Justin Welling said:

Kind of off topic, but the project about Memorial Heights reminded me. Does anyone know why they took down the traffic signal in front of the Kroger. I feel like they just put it up and then it was taken down? It was the light closest to the store front, not the one near the McDonalds. 

A Summer Street light was added at the same time as the one by McDonald's. Now it's easier to turn here if traffic is stopped at the aforementioned signals. I'm just guessing that three signals would have been overkill.

9 hours ago, Triton said:

I've lost count of how many times that dinky signal post at the northeast corner, situated inches from the curb, has been hit by cars. I'd be curious of the cumulative cost of continually repairing that signal over the years. 

5 hours ago, skooljunkie said:

I'm just guessing that three signals would have been overkill

I completely get that. The only issue I have now is that signal they took away served as a safe crossing for bus riders who shopped at the Kroger. They would cross at that pedestrian signal with their groceries to reach the stop. Wish the city thought about that before completely removing the signal. Also, I am shocked they would put in a traffic light and then remove it so soon. Those things are not cheap. 

On 8/11/2020 at 4:18 PM, Justin Welling said:

I completely get that. The only issue I have now is that signal they took away served as a safe crossing for bus riders who shopped at the Kroger. They would cross at that pedestrian signal with their groceries to reach the stop. Wish the city thought about that before completely removing the signal. Also, I am shocked they would put in a traffic light and then remove it so soon. Those things are not cheap. 

Right? It's probably easier to drink yourself silly instead of getting to the bottom of it. You'll want to do that anyway after you start listing all the planning problems. 🥺

Archived