WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

groovehouse

Would have been nice if the shopping strip was at the front of the lot up against the side walk and the mix use development developed behind and over it in a sort of monster ashby hirise sort of way.

I know a lot of people who observe the pride parade is going to miss that spot. Many people viewed it from stands built in that lot.

I hope these developments cling to each other instead of encroaching on the charm of the Montrose neighborhood.

Would suck if say the BJ Oldies building was replaced by these lookalike residential buildings.

And can we make a pact to limit the use of the term "eyesore"????

• Like 2

Half Price did have a large old home at one time that was just a few blocks from the current location. Regardless, this thing isn't going to happen anytime soon unless all the long term tenants reach an agreement with PM. 7 to 10 years is a long time.

Half Price did have a large old home at one time that was just a few blocks from the current location. Regardless, this thing isn't going to happen anytime soon unless all the long term tenants reach an agreement with PM. 7 to 10 years is a long time.

No doubt.  But I suspect the end result will be half price moving to a new permanent location as it wouldn't make much sense to move temporarily for 2 to 3 years and then move back unless they really sweeten the deal or half price can't find another good location nearby.  I don't think they'll be under much pressure to add too much sugar at that particular location.  They will most likely have plenty of potential tennents without half price.

No doubt.  But I suspect the end result will be half price moving to a new permanent location as it wouldn't make much sense to move temporarily for 2 to 3 years and then move back unless they really sweeten the deal or half price can't find another good location nearby.  I don't think they'll be under much pressure to add too much sugar at that particular location.  They will most likely have plenty of potential tennents without half price.

All of that being said, and considering their long term lease (at least 7 years), and the fact that the stores numbers have risen from last year, nothing's going to happen for a long time. 

All of that being said, and considering their long term lease (at least 7 years), and the fact that the stores numbers have risen from last year, nothing's going to happen for a long time. 

Yeah...I guess it's a "who knows?" situtation right now.  A lot can happen in 7 years.

Another shame - this center was(still is) an Art Deco shopping center. It was very poorly covered by that nasty concrete/pea-gravel stuff in the 1970s.

http://swamplot.com/big-block-on-the-corner-of-westheimer-and-montrose-goes-up-for-sale/2012-03-08/

http://www.houstondeco.org/1930s/towercomm.html

Gotta disagree. Although I love Art Deco, this was run of the mill for what was a suburban intersection when it was built. Now it is one of the most important intersections in urban Houston, and it is time to build up.

• Like 1

while i see your point, we cant keep sprawling forever. its not economically efficient. we have to build denser areas and building up is one of the main ways to do that.

Not taking about sprawl. Talking about building out the core.

My understanding is that you build up after there is no more room, but we have so much room downtown, midtown, and even Montrose.

I do agree with him in that the corner of Montrose and Westheimer is prime real estate.

while i see your point, we cant keep sprawling forever. its not economically efficient. we have to build denser areas and building up is one of the main ways to do that.

Houston can and will keep sprawling out to the extent that people are willing to drive and employers are willing to locate outside the core.  The economic efficiency of that is on a case by case basis.  Since we don't live in a command economy there isn't much that can or will be done to enforce maximum efficiency for the city as a whole.

Houston can and will keep sprawling out to the extent that people are willing to drive and employers are willing to locate outside the core. The economic efficiency of that is on a case by case basis. Since we don't live in a command economy there isn't much that can or will be done to enforce maximum efficiency for the city as a whole.

Look who built the city. Just in Houston city limits alone we have Greenspoint, Clear Lake, Kingswood, built by Friendswood development group which was a subsidiary of Exxon. Exxon stretched our limits to the extreme- wonder why?

Even as we speak Exxon is stretching it. They are building on land that was planned by the developers of Springwood estates, who in turn are building another masterplanned community. They were lobbied strongly for the grand parkway which coincidentally runs right in their front yard.

So you are right. It can sprawl for as long as people are willing to put up with these places

I don't think Houston will ever fill in completely, but certain areas will get denser.

For the topic at hand I just wish Montrose will be one that fulls out and fulls up in places. The residential put the situation with the empty lots at a much lower level than downtown/midtown, its the suburban businesses with huge parking garages that I wish would thin out.

• Like 1

Would have been nice if the shopping strip was at the front of the lot up against the side walk and the mix use development developed behind and over it in a sort of monster ashby hirise sort of way.

I know a lot of people who observe the pride parade is going to miss that spot. Many people viewed it from stands built in that lot.

I hope these developments cling to each other instead of encroaching on the charm of the Montrose neighborhood.

Would suck if say the BJ Oldies building was replaced by these lookalike residential buildings.

And can we make a pact to limit the use of the term "eyesore"????

oh god forbid that eye sore changes so that people can enjoy that parking lot once a year for a parade haha

that was the best location ever and they should definitely move to something similar...loved the vibe of that house/half price books!

• Like 1

Bobruss it is beyond smart, they are are not just making people drive more to downtown, they are driving more to everywhere.

With an employment base of over 80,000 the Energy corridor is the 4th largest business center in Houston. Over 1/3 of the employees work outside the western catchment area.

oh god forbid that eye sore changes so that people can enjoy that parking lot once a year for a parade haha

Didn't say that it should not be changed because of a parade. Just said it was a popular spot and people are going to miss it.

Like I said in my first post on here, I like the tenants. Its not a big deal if they move, I just liked where they were.

Then again, the area is such a prime spot I figure many things would be popular if placed in that spot. I used to ride my bike from UH all the way to half priced books (the quarter priced books on Shepard too). I admit I have patronized specs on a number of occasions. I've bought pizza from that location when I lived a few blocks east. I have gotten on and off metro countless times at that stop. Its just a very nostalgic block for me.

Lol, if there was an underground running under westheimer, that parking lot was where I imagined the train stop to be. Just little heads popping up from underground.

Gotta disagree. Although I love Art Deco, this was run of the mill for what was a suburban intersection when it was built. Now it is one of the most important intersections in urban Houston, and it is time to build up.

I think my point was missed?  I meant - its a shame that this centers original facade was covered with what is there now.  Not that it must be saved.

Run of the mill Art Deco trumps almost anything else (in my opinion).

And this intersection is important, but both sides need attention, and I doubt (from what I've read above) that we will see that any time soon.

I think my point was missed?  I meant - its a shame that this centers original facade was covered with what is there now.  Not that it must be saved.

Run of the mill Art Deco trumps almost anything else (in my opinion).

And this intersection is important, but both sides need attention, and I doubt (from what I've read above) that we will see that any time soon.

Sure, always a shame when an original facade is covered up by blandness. But the time is past for a one-story strip center with parking in front at this intersection, unless it was a strip center of international architectural distinction, which this one isn't.

To my mind there are two truly great historic strip centers inside the loop that should be saved no matter what, and one of them has been butchered by Weingarten. That was the only one that could be called a landmark of regional/national significance, on par with Highland Park Village in Dallas.

Indeed.  Weingarten has been quiet lately, even amidst the current boom.  But then I suppose they were fairly active while everyone else was quiet.  This center isn't the best, but its not the worst.  I was just pointing out its more "storied" past, if you will?

In regard to the Montrose @ Westheimer strip: I've long thought this site, if also incorporating the Disco Kroger- would be a great location for a nice mixed-use development.  I'm glad there is a developer on board who also shares this sentiment, though, as previously mentioned I will be curious to see just how long it will take the tennants to vacate their current square footage?

I wonder just how large of a mixed-use development we will see here?  Maybe another condominium highrise with 2-4 levels of retail with office space around?  Curious to see what they are planning for.

I also hope that Half-Price Books will find a nice place nearby if they are not signed into a long term lease in the new center.

Edited by arche_757

• 3 weeks later...

So a boutique hotel then?  That's good.  This area of town is the right location for additional smaller hotels with more upscale services.

I agree...Montrose is prime for something like the Austin hotel - Hotel San Jose or their sister property Hotel Saint Cecilia... for awhile there, the owners of those hotels were looking at the spot across from Firkin and Phoenix...maybe now is the time!