WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

groovehouse

15 hours ago, TowerSpotter said:

Found this from an architect at CRKTL, posted January 3rd, 2020. Potential development could be planned for this site. Renderings show a mixed-use development with retail, multifamily, condos, and office space. 

The site:

xV5iV23.png

Renderings:

7a7b9e90156931.5e0f70ed6aebd.jpg

31ba6090156931.5e0f70ed6857a.jpg

8eb05b90156931.5e0f70ed6b70e.jpg

8fac0f90156931.5e0f70ed6a693.jpg

ef1e6590156931.5e0f70ed69e81.jpg

c5e03090156931.5e0f70ed68e04.jpg

2151b990156931.5e0f70ed69669.jpg

https://www.behance.net/gallery/90156931/Montrose-MUD-Houston-USA

We need these renderings on this page. I hope this is for real. It's better than anything I could imagine.

Edited by West Timer
  • Like 2

serious question...

will there be a considerable savings by shopping at the lower level Mattress Firm Outlet Center as opposed to the upstairs regular Mattress Firm?  The reason i ask is, there are rumors that with purchase, you get to slide on top your mattress down that sloped staircase at no extra charge and i am trying to weigh out that advantage against the discounted mattress. 

ps...wowsa this thread is making my head explode! i am a longtime Montrose area lover and just so happy they are mixing in some amazing new projects with the old Montrose i also love 

Edited by gene
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

I too love half price books and surely there is some other place it can move and would love for it to stay in the heart of Montrose...

however IF it had to be relocated you know where the next best spot would be? in that kooky semi abandoned plaza off Shepherd where Tuesday Morning is behind Freebirds and Amy's Ice Cream is...it would be near Cactus Records and maybe help revitalize this development...

would love to see that whole area become an alternative cool shopping area...think 19th street in the Heights. 

• Like 7

They just need to toss a pilates/crossfit/barre place in there and I think developers could kinda just dust their hands off, in addition to the Montrose collective, and know that most residents would never leave the area ever again (people would just request to work from home). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DarklyMoron said:

Are we getting another Cloud Column?

WannabeColumn.jpg.e770750cfcb1fcadddfeb1655739e216.jpgCloudColumn.jpg.d43cc5a6a4a0cccdba7e1ffb43f6c577.jpg

31ba6090156931.5e0f70ed6857a.jpg

Some insider knowledge about putting renderings together. A lot of these things are up to the designers discretion in regards to fleshing out or filling out a "scene". More than likely the PM, PA or project designer told the person doing the render to find a "contemporary" sculpture to place in the scene. If you look in this render below:

Eh9CzBb.jpg

You will notice that the sculpture is different which means these scenes were developed at different points during the design process while they were discussing what should be placed in the scene. As a matter of fact, its funny, I've used that exact bubble sculpture in a render for house for a client who likes contemporary art in their front yard. My boss gave me certain parameters and that lead me to that sculpture.

1 hour ago, swtsig said:

do we have any idea if this the actual design or simply a conceptual or proposed design? 

Definitely a possiblity. Though in look at this its very well developed to be simply "conceptual". Just look at all the diagrams, and sqft's, and detail in the renders. This is an actual proposal with my professional eyes, but of course just because its proposed doesn't mean its going to get built (like anything proposed). With that being said, the fact that something like this is being proposed does change the game for what people might expect for what is possible on this site. Even if it changes this could have a profound effect on the land owners mind of what is possible. This is why these proposals exist, and its why architects exist because we can see things that others can't or are too stuck in their reality to see what is possible. Everything that I see in this render is very doable, and actually is very much in line with contemporary approaches to site and aesthetics.

To me this feels a lot like aesthetically its trying to be like Michael Hsu, and in proportion and scale its trying to be like BIG (Bjarke Ingels Group). There are of course other architects that do these things, and probably different people they pulled inspiration from, but those are immediate examples to pull from.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Some insider knowledge about putting renderings together. A lot of these things are up to the designers discretion in regards to fleshing out or filling out a "scene". More than likely the PM, PA or project designer told the person doing the render to find a "contemporary" sculpture to place in the scene. If you look in this render below:

Eh9CzBb.jpg

You will notice that the sculpture is different which means these scenes were developed at different points during the design process while they were discussing what should be placed in the scene. As a matter of fact, its funny, I've used that exact bubble sculpture in a render for house for a client who likes contemporary art in their front yard. My boss gave me certain parameters and that lead me to that sculpture.

Definitely a possiblity. Though in look at this its very well developed to be simply "conceptual". Just look at all the diagrams, and sqft's, and detail in the renders. This is an actual proposal with my professional eyes, but of course just because its proposed doesn't mean its going to get built (like anything proposed). With that being said, the fact that something like this is being proposed does change the game for what people might expect for what is possible on this site. Even if it changes this could have a profound effect on the land owners mind of what is possible. This is why these proposals exist, and its why architects exist because we can see things that others can't or are too stuck in their reality to see what is possible. Everything that I see in this render is very doable, and actually is very much in line with contemporary approaches to site and aesthetics.

To me this feels a lot like aesthetically its trying to be like Michael Hsu, and in proportion and scale its trying to be like BIG (Bjarke Ingels Group). There are of course other architects that do these things, and probably different people they pulled inspiration from, but those are immediate examples to pull from.

well said and i agree. nothing about this site plan seems overly ambitious other than the overall # of mixed use components, but the design and scale seems plenty achievable. it certainly has a BIG vibe to it, especially the schematics, but also seems very approachable. I also think it would play off hsu's design at montrose collective very well.

fingers crossed the project ends up as shown or a very similar facsimile thereof.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Eh9CzBb.jpg

Yeah this is too developed to just be a concept. This is a real possibility give or take a few small details. What shop do you work for Luminare? I'm in the Heights off 18th.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 2:37 PM, Luminare said:

Eh9CzBb.jpg

Well said. I also agree with what you've said. This is most likely at the end of their SD phase. It's most likely going through a round of schematic pricing to see roughly where the cost is. Then it'll more through value engineering. I expect to see another round of renderings after this that have a little more realism to the materials and structural realities (looking at you 50 ft cantilever).

Does anyone think this thing embodies bad urban planning principals?

It's riddled with various private courtyards and plazas which cannot realistically be activated with retail at Houston densities during the 2020's brick and mortar extinction event. In the most optimistic scenario it will create a private, hidden interior mall that dilutes street activity similar to the tunnels and skywalks downtown. In the most likely scenario, those spaces never get filled, and they have to pay some security guard to keep the bums out.

Plus it is UGLY. It's dissonant, top heavy, jumbled. It's the urban condo equivalent to those weird looking McMansions that have random dormers and cornices and are just silly.

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

^ Quit being ridiculous. I see storefronts or at least windows facing the streets. It looks inviting as hell from the Westheimer/Montrose intersection. How dare you compare this to the tunnels. Ugly? Seriously, was that supposed to be a joke? What we've been living with for half a century could win a prize for ugly.  Houston would be lucky to end up with anything that comes close to that rendering at that intersection.

Edited by West Timer
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Does anyone think this thing embodies bad urban planning principals?

It's riddled with various private courtyards and plazas which cannot realistically be activated with retail at Houston densities during the 2020's brick and mortar extinction event. In the most optimistic scenario it will create a private, hidden interior mall that dilutes street activity similar to the tunnels and skywalks downtown. In the most likely scenario, those spaces never get filled, and they have to pay some security guard to keep the bums out.

Plus it is UGLY. It's dissonant, top heavy, jumbled. It's the urban condo equivalent to those weird looking McMansions that have random dormers and cornices and are just silly.

The fact you think this is ugly makes me wonder how bad your taste must actually be lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

No offense, but with that comment and especially with the laughing smiley reaction, you're being a bit of an a... well, you get the point.

Yes I am being a... but it beats being a...well you get the point.

Edited by West Timer

What I see the in the rendering is a big stairway that will probably be value engineered out of existence, and a big interior courtyard with all the current trendy stuff like wood siding that will look goofy in 10 years. People ain't going up there with their dogs, not to visit the one super expensive creperie or designer purse store that goes out of business 6 months later.

I've visited developments like this in person and they are usually really disappointing. Like Seaholm in Austin. There's nothing interesting there and it seemed like current tenants were struggling, and the whole time I was walking around people were staring at me like I was trespassing. Uptown Dallas has a lot of overbearing weird glassy towers hulking over dead streets with too much car traffic too. Compare the vibrancy of more traditionally urban streetscapes and there is no comparison.

Edited by zaphod

I agree that generally raised plazas are not terribly successful (see Jones Plaza downtown). At the same time, I applaud any project that doesn’t simply build a tower atop a parking garage with zero pedestrian considerations. Personally, the big cantilevered (top heavy) massing is what I like about the renderings.

Edited by DarklyMoron
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, West Timer said:

It looks inviting as hell from the Westheimer/Montrose intersection.

I definitely agree that it's better than what's currently there, and better than just sticking an apartment tower (or two) on the spot. My concern is that its scale is too big for that intersection. Neither Montrose nor Westheimer are as expansive as that rendering makes them look. 

Now, if they put giant billboards and neon on it and make Montrose at Westheimer a mini Times Square or a mini Yonge-Dundas Square (Toronto) I'm all in!

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I disagree on the scale. Montrose is quite wide, and even the City's plan to rebuild Westheimer keeps it 2 lanes each direction *plus* turn lanes at that intersection for some reason. I might quibble with the tower furthest west along Westheimer at the site; it might be better to step the whole thing down from Montrose Blvd instead. But I actually like the idea of a relatively massive development to anchor this oversized intersection.

• Like 2